What do you do when someone gives you diet advice (that you never asked for) you disagree with?

Options
NiqueKristan
NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
edited February 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
smile and nod or tell them your opinion?
I'm basically tired of people saying "You HAVE to eat before 6 in order to lose weight" or "drink only warm water or drink only cold water" or "clean eating is the only way to lose weight" Or "eating 5-6 small meals a day is the way to go".
Obviously I believe in CICO, iifym. I guess I get annoyed because I don't ask for advice and people give it to me. What do you do?! Am I just being cranky?!

Replies

• terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Depends on how they offer it. If it's just a passive suggestion, I'll smile "oh that's interesting...mmhmm." If it's an aggressive assertion, I tell them it doesn't work like that. Keep it simple. I'm not trying to argue unless they're looking for an argument.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think my reaction might vary depending on my mood from smiling and nodding to withering glare. Everyone's on their own journey and all. I just don't want to be part of it. Start wearing headphones more often.

Treat it like any polarizing topic: Politics, religion, etc.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    "I'll keep that in mind for if what I'm doing stops working"

It's a lovely little passive aggressive swipe that acknowledges that you're succeeding, acknowledges that they have said their peice and that you aren't planning on continuing the conversation.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Boop their nose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm way too awesome for anyone to even bother giving me diet advice. Most people come to me for advice given where I was just 2-3 years ago (<<<that horrible profile picture) and where I am now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It depends on who it is and my mood at the time. And whether they seem like they want a rational discussion or are just spouting advice and have no intention of listening to opposing viewpoints.

If they told me I had to do something that I wasn't already doing to lose weight, I'd likely just say "And yet I am losing weight" and walk off.
  • Tigger422RM
    Tigger422RM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think it depends who you're talking to. If you know them, you probably have a good idea of their personality. Are they trying to seem more knowledgeable and spouting off cr*p or are they genuinely trying to be helpful. If their genuinely trying to be helpful, I'll take the time to educate and say "that's not quite how it works. some people have found that tip helpful, but it's actually for x,y, and z reasons. not how I roll, but if it works for you, great!". If they're just trying to seem smart, I won't bother because I can more easily waste my time and frustrate myself talking to a brick wall.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Religion...politics...weight loss

What are three things I do my best not to discuss with other people?

I get a lot of questions about how I 'got fit'. I tend to answer very broadly (ate less, started working out more) and then quickly change the subject.
  • yolo9752
    yolo9752 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod, LOL or if it is worth it, discuss!
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Boop their nose.

lol
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Smile, nod, say something non-commital, get away as fast as possible. :)
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Smile and nod but do an inner facepalm usually.

Or sometimes I will politely correct. This doesn't usually go well.

So I return to smiling and nodding and inwardly facepalming.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    smile and nod or tell them your opinion?
    I'm basically tired of people saying "You HAVE to eat before 6 in order to lose weight" or "drink only warm water or drink only cold water" or "clean eating is the only way to lose weight" Or "eating 5-6 small meals a day is the way to go".
    Obviously I believe in CICO, iifym. I guess I get annoyed because I don't ask for advice and people give it to me. What do you do?! Am I just being cranky?!

They have a right to their opinion. So, I just listen and don't give advice unless they ask for it. If they ask for advice, I share my experience only, which is to eat less and move more. If I'm better friends with someone, I might tell them about the tools Iuse.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I work with the Chief of the Food Police, so I have an idea of your frustration. But for me, it is not so much that said chief gives advice, it is more the passive spouting of (often incorrect, or at the very least, matter of opinion) information on what works and what does not. What is good and what is bad, etc. I'm constantly treated to comments about how so & so doesn't 'eat healthy', even though I don't think she even knows what so & so eats. When the subject of food comes up I want to run. Fast. And with scissors! I hate conflict so I usually bite my tongue, but I have stated my opinion on more than one occasion. Her knowing what I think hasn't eased my pain one bit! Suffice it to say, I cringe a little every time I hear the phrase 'eating healthy', no matter how benign or well placed it may be. :s
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

They have a right to their opinion. So, I just listen and don't give advice unless they ask for it. If they ask for advice, I share my experience only, which is to eat less and move more. If I'm better friends with someone, I might tell them about the tools Iuse.

I think opinions are fine. If someone is saying "this worked great for me" then, even if I think it sounds a bit weird, it's fair enough. It's when people try and give you unsolicited advice based on their odd theories (especially when they've not even used it themselves) :neutral_face:
  • NiqueKristan
    NiqueKristan Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I think opinions are fine. If someone is saying "this worked great for me" then, even if I think it sounds a bit weird, it's fair enough. It's when people try and give you unsolicited advice based on their odd theories (especially when they've not even used it themselves) :neutral_face:

THIS!!!!
    If they say it like "this works for me" great, but disapproval and unsolicited advice are a no no. The lady who is roommates with my grandmother (I have to call her aunt) judges me whenever I eat something other than salad and fruit. "eat a salad." "try to eat earlier" "aren't you supposed to be on a diet? That's not diet food" etc. my dad tells me every time I see him to eat 6 small meals a day or I won't lose much weight.

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Religion...politics...

...and the great pumpkin

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I take off my shirt, flex and tell them that their point is moot.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I think it might depend on if they have a rockin' awesome bod or not, lol, and are they following their own advice?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    east_10-6fd1875f.gif