Sunblock sollution

Options
Hello from sunny England!

I could do with some help please. As a child I remember having neon sunblock across our cheek bones that we used to apply as war paint, for protection from the elements and particularly for watersports. Now, the grown up kid in me wants to buy some but I can't find any! I use waterproof Nivea spf 50+ body lotion and waterproof Laroche Possay 50+ face cream and the tops of my cheek bones are still burning!!

Other than staying in (:wink:), does anyone have any suggestions please?

Many thanks,
Helen

Replies

• sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use factor 30 and i still burn sometimes and i live in the uk, i think some skin types are more likely to burn! i'm very fair i get sunstroke aswell :(

Have you tried a coloured sunblock? i get the nivea one for the kids (or sometimes the avon one if i remeber to buy some before the sun comes out) it will help you see if you missed anywhere.
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a serious problem with sun cream too - my good old English skin just cannot cope with proper sun and, like you, I burn even with factor 50. Also, my skin seems to have an intolerance for sun cream and is often damaged by it (it really hurts putting some of them on!). I am currently using Skin Repair and Protect SPF 50, which is not perfect but the best I've found so far, and just stay out of the sun and wear a hat as much as possible! How about you try a SPF 50 stick for your cheeks and nose etc. as well as the cream, like the type you can get for skiing? They're often sold to be used on lips/nose/ears and are pretty weatherproof.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The solid war paint stuff is zinc oxide, you may have to buy it online these days.

I use Aveeno - it used to come in up to 100, that I used on my face when I was on the water all day. This year, I have only found up to 70.

When we are outside for hours, we wear SPF 50 sun shirts and hats.

Be sure you are using your sunscreen properly: lotions with a physical blocking factor, like zinc oxide, are not meant to be rubbed in. Lotions with most chemical blocking agents work best when rubbed in. I also recently heard a rule of thumb to use a tablespoon for each body part.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if it is available outside of the US but I swear by BullFrog Sunscreen. Any flavor! I prefer the Mosquito Coast line with bug spray included. I sweat like a madman and this stuff stays put! I have not had one sunburn since switching to this stuff about 6 years ago.

http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/
  • keithmustloseweight
    keithmustloseweight Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Wear a hat.
  • Angel03744
    Angel03744 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use, "Hawaiian Tropic Protective Dry Oil Spray SPF 20", It seems to work best when I'm running in the sun, Creams just makes me sweat more thus becomming inaffective!
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like the coloured sun stick ideas and will try and find some online. Some how they just don't appear in the shops over here and I have no idea why it's easier to get hold of a lower spf than higher - I guess you would have to apply a lower factor more regularly so they can sell more but that's me guessing. The cycle hat peak has me covered enroute home tonight and I tend to wear a hat generally - thanks for the tip :)