Two weeks and put weight on

I have been doing MF for nearly two weeks now, I wanted to lose ideally 4.5 lb( was finding it so hard to shift) so started using MF with the goal of losing half a lb a week. I have been quite good and tried to stick to my allowance. However, weighed myself today and have a gain of 2lb?! I am mortified, How can this be?

Replies

• lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    probably water retention; monitor your salt intake on settings
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    How can anyone know unless they see you food and exercise diary? You want us all to just guess so you can keep having the same issue for many months? You havent even told us your weight or goals,,, just saying. people love to help but need the facts first.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    time of the month?
  • marykate290491
    marykate290491 Posts: 25 Member
    How can anyone know unless they see you food and exercise diary? You want us all to just guess so you can keep having the same issue for many months? You havent even told us your weight or goals,,, just saying. people love to help but need the facts first.

I think I have just made it public
  • sianquin
    sianquin Posts: 86 Member
    Are you weighing your food? i was really surprised just how little food is classed as a portion now i weigh everything. I was really surprised how small a portion of nuts was before that i could have easily eaten the whole bag.
  • marykate290491
    Yes weigh everything religiously on digital scales
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Do you measure and weigh?
  • sianquin
    I had a nosey at your dairy and you don't seem to be drinking enough water. now it could just be that your like me and you drink loads but don't put it in, or your body could be retaining water.
  • marykate290491
    No I am quite bad at remembering to have water. Only remember to have it when I log into MF. I usually drink a pint at a time so have at least 3 pints a day. Thats not enough though. How many should I be having?
  • doritosgirl
    doritosgirl Posts: 12 Member
    It really depends on your diet.. I know for me if I happen to have a day of eating packaged foods, I gain weight because my sodium intake is through the roof. A can of soup or a cup or two of jarred pasta sauce can have almost your daily allowance of sodium.
    I try to eat a ton of fresh fruits and veggies, and drink at least ( many days more) two litres of water a day. Not eating packaged meals/sauces/ soups/snacks has really made a huge difference for my weight lost I am rarely bloated now and I am steadily losing a pound a week, and on the days I slip up, like grab a frozen lasagna out of the freezer for dinner because its easy I bloat right up.
  • sianquin
    8 glasses a glass is around 250ml so you are getting around 6 glasses.

I have a 1litre sports bottle and a fill it up when heading out and bring it in the car with me i wouldn't usually drink on trips like the school run but i do because it's there. I then drink a full bottle at the gym sometimes more. A good indication is the colour of your pee if it's yellow you need to drink more if it's clear your doing well, i always assumed this was a silly myth and you don't get clear pee but acually you do.
  • doritosgirl
    doritosgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Just a FYI.. I took a peek at your food dairy, and you have many food items that are packaged that list a sodium content of 0. That is not possible, every packaged food has salt as salt is used to preserve it so it keeps longer on the shelf. I am willing to bet its the salt wreaking your efforts.
    My Fitness Pal is fantastic but sometimes when users log food, its only calories that are logged and not all the components. Just something to keep in mind
  • TamaraB70
    TamaraB70 Posts: 13 Member
    I was down 7 pounds and weighed myself this morning and was up 4!!! It's so frustrating and devastating but there are a few things that I did differently that can account for this - 1 - I didn't exercise at all last week and I need to move my body for anything else to move (it doesn't seem to matter what I eat as long as I exercise) and then 2 - I realized that I may have actually lost weight because my clothes do fit a little looser. My fault for not taking measurements to start with but I think I will do that tonight so that I don't get discouraged by what the scale says. I've been exercising again for the past 3 days in a row (starting P90X all over again) so it may be (fingers crossed) muscle weight? lol.... also, I'm pretty sure I'm close to that time of the month.... my calorie goals is 1200/day and while I wasn't exercising, I stayed on MF and posted everything and stayed within my goals.... further proof that my body needs to move.

Don't be discouraged --- stick with it --- these things take time. Add me if you need a friendly ear now and then :)
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    To me, it looks as though you are having quite a lot of takeaways/eating out a lot, as well as having alcohol fairly regularly. I don't always trust the calories that MFP gives for takeaways - the 'chip shop chips' that you had for example - to be honest I feel that they would have been a lot more than the 200 odd calories that MFP said they were. So you may accidentally be eating more than you realise!

I would try cutting down on these foods a bit if you're wanting to lose weight. You obviously don't need to cut them out completely, but I don't think they can be helping much if you're not seeing the results you want on the scales!

Try incorporating some more fresh foods into your diet, as well as water, and hopefully you'll notice a difference! Good luck! :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Did you measure yourself at the same time of day in the same situation?

My weight can vary by 5lb or more throughout a 24 hour period.

First thing in the morning, no clothes, after toilet is probably most consistent weighing time.

Some people will take weights on three consecutive days and average them.
  • marykate290491
    To me, it looks as though you are having quite a lot of takeaways/eating out a lot, as well as having alcohol fairly regularly. I don't always trust the calories that MFP gives for takeaways - the 'chip shop chips' that you had for example - to be honest I feel that they would have been a lot more than the 200 odd calories that MFP said they were. So you may accidentally be eating more than you realise!

I would try cutting down on these foods a bit if you're wanting to lose weight. You obviously don't need to cut them out completely, but I don't think they can be helping much if you're not seeing the results you want on the scales!

Try incorporating some more fresh foods into your diet, as well as water, and hopefully you'll notice a difference! Good luck! :)

With the chip shop I had a handful off a friends plate but still wanted to log it as that's how particular I am! Yeah it was a friends birthday last weekend hence eating out and maybe a bit too much alcohol! Just feel now as if I'm being punished for a good time :(
  • marykate290491
    Yes every morning after the toilet is when I weigh
  • marykate290491
    I was down 7 pounds and weighed myself this morning and was up 4!!! It's so frustrating and devastating but there are a few things that I did differently that can account for this - 1 - I didn't exercise at all last week and I need to move my body for anything else to move (it doesn't seem to matter what I eat as long as I exercise) and then 2 - I realized that I may have actually lost weight because my clothes do fit a little looser. My fault for not taking measurements to start with but I think I will do that tonight so that I don't get discouraged by what the scale says. I've been exercising again for the past 3 days in a row (starting P90X all over again) so it may be (fingers crossed) muscle weight? lol.... also, I'm pretty sure I'm close to that time of the month.... my calorie goals is 1200/day and while I wasn't exercising, I stayed on MF and posted everything and stayed within my goals.... further proof that my body needs to move.

Don't be discouraged --- stick with it --- these things take time. Add me if you need a friendly ear now and then :)

Yeah I wish I measured myself too as I think my waist is coming in nicely. I will measure tomorrow morning first thing
  • marykate290491
    Just a FYI.. I took a peek at your food dairy, and you have many food items that are packaged that list a sodium content of 0. That is not possible, every packaged food has salt as salt is used to preserve it so it keeps longer on the shelf. I am willing to bet its the salt wreaking your efforts.
    My Fitness Pal is fantastic but sometimes when users log food, its only calories that are logged and not all the components. Just something to keep in mind

Oh really wasn't aware of that. I just scan the barcodes of everything. Will definitely have to keep that in mind. Thanks
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Weigh yourself on the same spot of the floor?
    As daft as it sounds, I weigh myself on a tiled floor - and from one tile to another can give a different weight.

Measurements are definitely the best way forward - remember when you pick out clothes they are in sizes of cm and inches and not kg and lb's.