Night eating

Options
been having the toughest time losing weight, and I know it's because I'm always more hungry when 7pm comes along. I eat healthy all day and maintain my calories but when 7pm rolls by I'm craving chocolate and crappy food, wondering if anyone has been through this and what some tips are , thanks!

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    The advice I would give is to make yourself a calorie allowance for 7pm onwards.
    The times we consume our foods and drinks have no effect to weight gain or loss, simply calories in and calories out.
    If you find yourself hungrier at night, you are so much better knowing that you have counted yourself a nice snack into your evening.

Maybe aim for something rich in fibre and protein to help keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Wishing you complete success with your healthy lifestyle.

Adam
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Tips: Save room! There is nothing wrong with having dessert at night. Dessert can mean anything-anything is fair game if it fits into your deficit, and if you have met your nutritional needs for the day. I cannot be done after dinner. There's always something to follow, whether it's a second dinner, a serving or two of ice cream, or there might only be room for a couple of rice cakes that day.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I wait as long as I can, and then I chew on a salad. I know I'm not hungry and I just want to eat because I'm bored. So I save 110 calories everyday for my little salad.
  • mtaras1
    Options
    Thanks for tips :) I just have a problem when I even try indulging in a small piece, I end eating the whole thing or want more so I want to try to avoid it completely
  • My_Butt
    Options
    That's why I don't even keep it in the house. I designate every Sunday as my 'eat whatever' day, so I just buy a little bit every Sunday morning. Monday through Saturday, I'm forced to eat my healthy food.
  • arditarose
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    I wait as long as I can, and then I chew on a salad. I know I'm not hungry and I just want to eat because I'm bored. So I save 110 calories everyday for my little salad.

Have you not met all your macros for the day? Or you just prefer lettuce to a couple squares of chocolate or sweets?
  • My_Butt
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    My_Butt wrote: »

Have you not met all your macros for the day? Or you just prefer lettuce to a couple squares of chocolate or sweets?

Sunday I go all out on chocolate. But I really would rather focus on adding in more veggies to my diet during the week.
  • James1935
    James1935 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat....I eat between 1 pm and 9 pm because I am hungry later in the day...it works for me. Just stay within your calorie allotment and good luck!
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem and agree with some of the above posters who suggested leaving some calories for after 7pm.

The second suggestion I'd make is identify the kinds of cravings you have (chocolatey, sweet, salty, crunchy), and then find healthier alternatives. Ie. Instead of eating chips when I want salty/crunch, I make plain popcorn and toss it with some truffle oil and parmesan cheese. It's decadent, filling and doesn't break the calorie bank. Same with chocolate, I'll have some dark chocolate pieces, or if it's simply sweet I'll pick fresh fruit or frozen grape/blueberries if I want something cold as well.

Introduce some alternatives slowly, look up recipes for things you think you might like and have fun with it! Doesn't mean you can't have cookies, but expanding your taste buds and giving yourself more healthy options is never a bad thing :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    I used to have the same problem and agree with some of the above posters who suggested leaving some calories for after 7pm.

The second suggestion I'd make is identify the kinds of cravings you have (chocolatey, sweet, salty, crunchy), and then find healthier alternatives. Ie. Instead of eating chips when I want salty/crunch, I make plain popcorn and toss it with some truffle oil and parmesan cheese. It's decadent, filling and doesn't break the calorie bank. Same with chocolate, I'll have some dark chocolate pieces, or if it's simply sweet I'll pick fresh fruit or frozen grape/blueberries if I want something cold as well.

Introduce some alternatives slowly, look up recipes for things you think you might like and have fun with it! Doesn't mean you can't have cookies, but expanding your taste buds and giving yourself more healthy options is never a bad thing :)

Your popcorn sounds awesome.
  • FitGeekery
    FitGeekery Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    @arditarose It seriously is, it's 250cal but it can easily be made less with less truffle oil (I use a whole tablespoon-- I regret NOTHING haha).
  • arditarose
    Options
    FitGeekery wrote: »
    @arditarose It seriously is, it's 250cal but it can easily be made less with less truffle oil (I use a whole tablespoon-- I regret NOTHING haha).

You must air pop it then?
  • margolinville
    margolinville Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    mtaras1 wrote: »
    been having the toughest time losing weight, and I know it's because I'm always more hungry when 7pm comes along. I eat healthy all day and maintain my calories but when 7pm rolls by I'm craving chocolate and crappy food, wondering if anyone has been through this and what some tips are , thanks!

When I have a craving I reach for an 8 ounce diet soda and it cuts my appetite with zero calories.
    Sometimes a couple of sips is all I need. Slimfast cholate drinks work too 190 calories! I feel full for hours ... drink it slow.