Pre/Post Workout Snack?????

Options
So here is the deal...I work 8-5 during the day and I usually go to the gym afterwards. I found that if I eat my dinner before working out I end up feeling nauseous while working out so I started just having a protein shake and a piece of fruit before my workout and then about an hour after my workout is done then I'll have my dinner. What I was wondering is what everyone else does or if this is not a good idea? Not really sure what really works so I thought I'd put it out there to get your opinion...

Thanks!! :smiley:

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. If it doesn't upset your stomach, and you're within your calorie goal-eat when you want. I eat at 7:30 pm after my workout.
  • amf0324
    amf0324 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm with you -- I can't work out without eating something beforehand!
  • Azazel882
    Options
    Typically you want a pre protein shake and a post protein shake. You'll want a fast digesting protein before your workout to give you fuel for your muscles.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    Azazel882 wrote: »
    Typically you want a pre protein shake and a post protein shake. You'll want a fast digesting protein before your workout to give you fuel for your muscles.

I don't think there is anything typical about that...a protein shake before AND after. Especially if you don't even know what the OPs workout consists of.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Sounds too complicated. I eat couple spoons of greek yogurt while standing in the kitchen, then go to the gym. Once there I forget about feeling hungry and I have more calories left upon returning from my heroic workout.
  • mekaS991
    Options
    I usually have dinner before I work out. After I may have a shake, popcorn and a bottle of water or some fruit. The other day I had a small banana with some dark chocolate peanut butter and it was awesome! I think it will be trial and error because what works got one may not work for the next person. Good Luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Azazel882 wrote: »

I don't think there is anything typical about that...a protein shake before AND after. Especially if you don't even know what the OPs workout consists of.

yeah, straight brosci, yo.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I refuse to work out on an empty stomach. Some people can, but I need that energy boost. Most of the time, I have cereal and fruit, eggs, oatmeal, toast, or a sandwich on whole wheat bread. Yesterday, it was a peanut butter and banana sandwich.
  • Mapes84
    Mapes84 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I can't have anything sloshing around in my stomach during my workout, so a protein shake wouldn't work for me! I usually do some nuts or a Kind Bar, Lara Bar, toast with peanut butter, etc pre-work-out. Something small but dense. I save the shake for after.
    So here is the deal...I work 8-5 during the day and I usually go to the gym afterwards. I found that if I eat my dinner before working out I end up feeling nauseous while working out so I started just having a protein shake and a piece of fruit before my workout and then about an hour after my workout is done then I'll have my dinner. What I was wondering is what everyone else does or if this is not a good idea? Not really sure what really works so I thought I'd put it out there to get your opinion...

Thanks!! :smiley:

• laurielou04
    laurielou04 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the responses! I will keep the options you mentioned in mind. :smile: