Trying to Slim Down

Options
Hi everyone, I could use some advice. Now, I know that what works for others may not work for me, but I'd like some ideas for an exercise plan to help me slim down in addition to trying to eat right. I've been trying to watch my calorie intake as well as my daily goals for protien, carbs, sugar, fats etc. But I'm having trouble figuring out an exercise plan that would work for me. Any advice or tips you can give is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Find an activity that you enjoy and just do it! It does not have to be a structured exercise plan - just get moving. It all burns calories.
  • MynameisJerryB
    MynameisJerryB Posts: 168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do what ever excercises you enjoy doing. As far as losing weight goes it requires a calorie deficit, the excercise just supplements it.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I've tried it all, jogging, walking, incline walking, classes, and lifting weights. They all burn calories pretty effectively and as long as you stay in your calorie goals, you should lose weight
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    What works for you is something you intend to do for life. So if it's dance, then dance. If it's running, then run. Try out a few different ones and hone in on the ones you like.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kayla21279
    Kayla21279 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    An exercise plan is specific to the individual. Many of us jump on many of the same lifting programs because they work, they revolve movements we would generally be doing and it's something you enjoy. You have to decide what you enjoy. If you do something you don't like then the chances of you sticking with it will get slim before you do.

Have you looked into any pre designed routines? What is it you like doing?

well I've just started, so im not entirely sure yet; just looking for ideas, you know? I don't really ENJOY a lot of physical activities or going to the gym because I suffer from an anxiety disorder and it is one of my triggers (not sure why, I just feel like people are looking at/judging me, whether I'm in public or in my home, when I try to be active). Lately I've just been trying to power through the anxiety (ex: I went to the gym alone today and was very uncomfortable and anxious but made myself stay). I am interested in knowing what others like to do/what works for them, just to give me ideas and things to try to see if I feel comfortable with any of them.
  • ReignOerMe
    ReignOerMe Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Kayla21279 wrote: »

well I've just started, so im not entirely sure yet; just looking for ideas, you know? I don't really ENJOY a lot of physical activities or going to the gym because I suffer from an anxiety disorder and it is one of my triggers (not sure why, I just feel like people are looking at/judging me, whether I'm in public or in my home, when I try to be active). Lately I've just been trying to power through the anxiety (ex: I went to the gym alone today and was very uncomfortable and anxious but made myself stay). I am interested in knowing what others like to do/what works for them, just to give me ideas and things to try to see if I feel comfortable with any of them.

I have experience with social anxiety so I totally get what you're feeling. In my experience, the first time you do something out of your comfort zone is going to be the worst, and it will only get better the more often you do it. So if you were able to handle the gym today, I would say keep at it. Alternatively, I personally really like running outside because there aren't many people around, and I can just be in my own kind of zone. Walking works too if you are looking for something less vigorous.
  • Kayla21279
    Kayla21279 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ReignOerMe wrote: »
    Kayla21279 wrote: »

I have experience with social anxiety so I totally get what you're feeling. In my experience, the first time you do something out of your comfort zone is going to be the worst, and it will only get better the more often you do it. So if you were able to handle the gym today, I would say keep at it. Alternatively, I personally really like running outside because there aren't many people around, and I can just be in my own kind of zone. Walking works too if you are looking for something less vigorous.
    Thanks. I'm glad someone gets it :)
  • asm2014
    asm2014 Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I get bored with typical workouts and I find that hiking different trails gives me variety, as well as being able to see beautiful sights. I know you are concerned with anxiety and being out in nature is very soothing. :) Oh, and also if I feel like quitting I can't because I still have to find my way back to the car. LOL.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are more into things you can do on your own, you could try walking/jogging/cycling, which all require no interaction with others. Or depending on how your anxiety works, you could try a class. When I was much younger I was also very stressed and worried everyone would be looking at me at the gym, and getting into classes helped, because it made me part of a group and helped me ease into the routine of exercising. Of course the type of class matters (you want something open to beginners) and also the instructor (I have seen ones who have a weird attitude, and others who make eveyone feel welcome from the first moment).