Anyone else get rid of the microwave?

Options

Replies

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    No, and not planning to.

I have a south-facing kitchen under an asphalt roof and when the humidex hits 40 in the summer there's no way I'm using the stove /oven and you can't eat raw or barbecue all the time. Sometimes it's just too bloody hot to barbecue! That's when the microwave is my dear friend :) when we move out, we'll see.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I got rid of ours. The kids missed it the most because they used to like Hot Pockets which are made for the microwave. I use the toaster oven to heat things...use the stove to cook. I never liked reheated coffee or tea anyway. I didn't like the texture of the food.

The kids don't miss Hot Pockets anymore. The only one who misses it is my friend who came to dog sit one day and brought microwave popcorn with her as a snack. LOL
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine last year. Reheating food in the oven or on the stove tastes way better too.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    now microwaves are the devil?

This! :huh: What is the point?
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Pry. . . cold. . . dead. . . hands. . .
  • wizzybeth
    edited February 2015
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

I just don't like it, that is the point for me. It took up space on my counter and the only time it got used was when the kids wanted Hot Pockets. Which I didn't get all the time anyway.

I much prefer my large toaster oven...it's big enough to do a frozen pizza if I want. It will hold a 9x13 pan too. Food tastes better to us. Just takes a little longer to cook that's all.

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

I just don't like it, that is the point for me. It took up space on my counter and the only time it got used was when the kids wanted Hot Pockets. Which I didn't get all the time anyway.

I much prefer my large toaster oven...it's big enough to do a frozen pizza if it's want. Food tastes better to us. Just takes a little longer to cook that's all.

We have a built in microwave above the stove and I do not have a toaster oven.

I do look at the toaster ovens though however I have a hard time justifying buying one since I can just use my oven.

• bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Pry. . . cold. . . dead. . . hands. . .

This +++++

No better way to heat up day old chilli! I've even been known to microwave chilli straight out of the oven for that freshly microwaved, sizzling hot yumminess ;)
  • randomtai
    Options

I much prefer my large toaster oven...it's big enough to do a frozen pizza if I want. It will hold a 9x13 pan too. Food tastes better to us. Just takes a little longer to cook that's all.

Good for you... I don't like a lot of things... just really don't understand this thread.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Good for you... I don't like a lot of things... just really don't understand this thread.

Really? wow okay...so what happened was, a guy started this thread because he would like to get rid of his microwave because he doesnt see much use for it anymore, but his wife would like to keep it. He was seeking viewpoints from others.

And so, this thread continued on with people giving their personal experiences of why they like / need a microwave, or why they dont like / dont need a microwave to help the OP decide whether he keeps or gets rid of his.

Hope that helps you understand what is happening here!
  • wizzybeth
    Options

I much prefer my large toaster oven...it's big enough to do a frozen pizza if it's want. Food tastes better to us. Just takes a little longer to cook that's all.

We have a built in microwave above the stove and I do not have a toaster oven.

I do look at the toaster ovens though however I have a hard time justifying buying one since I can just use my oven.

Originally I got a small toaster oven because our 4 slice toaster died and since there are 5 of us in the family I wanted something that could handle more toast at once. And bagels. Then when it died I got the big one. It's nice to make bigger stuff without having to heat up the big oven (and heat up the kitchen in the process). It also came in handy last night when the kids wanted pizza and I wanted something else that required a different oven temp.

I love my toaster oven. It's 10 years old now and makes a horrendous sound when turning it on. Lol. I will be sad to have to replace it. It's like an old friend. Teehee

• randomtai
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »

Really? wow okay...so what happened was, a guy started this thread because he would like to get rid of his microwave because he doesnt see much use for it anymore, but his wife would like to keep it. He was seeking viewpoints from others.

And so, this thread continued on with people giving their personal experiences of why they like / need a microwave, or why they dont like / dont need a microwave to help the OP decide whether he keeps or gets rid of his.

Hope that helps you understand what is happening here!

H8clR.gif
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh heck no, because... leftovers
  • wizzybeth
    Options

Guy doesn't want his microwave..I bet his wife thinks he's weird...he starts this thread to see if he's the only one...that's what I assumed anyway.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Not gonna wait for the stove to heat up just to reheat a couple cups of leftovers when they can be done in a minute in microwave. Ain't nobody got time for that
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No microwave........ok then

funny-friday-frog-meme-dinner-food-microwave-food-trash.jpg
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I would love to throw it out. I only use to for a quick defrost every once in a while. Otherwise it is just taking up counter space I desperately need. I just mentioned getting rid of it to my husband to get his response. He gave me a "what the hell is wrong with you" glance. LOL
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No way. Easy 40 seconds scrambled egg, and all the frozen veggies I just microwave for 5 minutes... Plus all the time we need it to finish cooking something that is taking too long in the oven.

And heating water for my tea. And reheating leftovers without needing to dirty 3 different pans that I WILL HAVE TO WASH AFTER.

Hell no.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options

H8clR.gif

LoL hey, you are the one who said you didnt understand.
    You were confused...so I was just trying to break it down for ya...

Indeed, maybe I was a bit facetious ;)

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Not gonna wait for the stove to heat up just to reheat a couple cups of leftovers when they can be done in a minute in microwave. Ain't nobody got time for that

And there is THAT, lol. I eat leftovers too.