Your progress without alcohol

Options
DizzyLinds
DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
So I decided to cut out alcohol for at least 4 weeks. I'm a massive social drinker and its really getting to me physically and financially. It'll be hard as I love to have wine at dinner or drinks outin bars and clubs. I know it'll do me good though as its become a weekly indulgence and I def think its holding my training and diet back despite being so clean most of the week and training hard.

Just wondering what to possibly expect in 4 weeks? Is this enough time to see any changes? I don't want to stop totally but just have this break.

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    For me there's been no difference. No weight loss. I don't feel better. There has been no upside to me not drinking but I committed to it for a month, so I shall finish out the month.

In case you're wondering I was drinking two pints a day on work days and half or a whole bottle of wine on my days off.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    My drinking is typically binge drinking, generally none the rest of the week.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If theyre few and far between you should be alright (like once a month maybe)
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Bump
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Any other thoughts?
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I used to drink quite a lot, but now I have 1/2 glasses of wine on Saturday night.
    I must admit that cutting down alcohol hasn't had any effect on my weight loss.
    It does have benefits though: less bloating, less stomachache, less indulging on unhealthy food...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't know, sorry ;)

I had 14 years sober ... Mostly occupied with schoolwork though.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Nothing has changed, except I feel a little better on the weekends.

I used to drink HEAVY (a bottle a day) every weekend, now I do more housework. Even the bump in N.E.A.T. hasn't made a change.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    it improved my drunk driving heaps!
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I think it's because I'm concerned that its not helping the progress I'm trying to make at the gym.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I was only a vacation drinker. LOL However, I was a Diet Mt. Dew Code Red addict and it was difficult to give it up. But drinking nothing but water has had a very positive effect for me.
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where are you coming from. I love my wine with food a LOT! And the occasional cocktail or two as well :-)

From a personal experience - everytime I cut out wine for longer periods of time I lose weight - mostly all in my belly.
    I have experienced it over and over again in my many weight loss attempts.

Last time I lost all my fluff was in 2009, and I cut out alcohol completely for over 4 months, worked out and ate clean and got to 115 lbs of muscle, felt amazing.

This time around I am having hard time with it, because we have too much socializing with friends to do :-)
    But since I have been pretty much "stuck" at the same weight since February I dug my heels in this week and I am laying off the boooze for few months completely, because I am sick and tired of being so close to the goal and not getting there.

This is what happens when I have even 1 glass of wine daily (eventhough it fits in my calorie ,limit) - I am bloated, my tummy is bigger, I am tired in the morning = less effective workout!

When I do not drink wine - sleep better, wake up refreshed, workout harder, ... within few weeks the bloat is gone and slowly pounds of fat melt off as well.

I hope this helped. Good luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I have also cut out alcohol for a while. I have been through many dry and drinking phases. During the alcohol free phases I do notice that I can gain muscle faster and I recover better. However, I noticed no effect on cardio. Not sure about the weight loss. Cutting out the alcohol is hard on the mind. I use it to clean the slate (no judging please).
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    you can expect to feel lonely on friday and saturday night and a little bit angry and irritable. It's very hard to stop weekend drinking if you have always done it. Life without alcohol is a better life though.
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have seriously cut back on my drinking, just have a few beers now and then when we go out with other parents. I am a binge drinker also-go all week without and then once I start drinking on the weekends it's hard to stop.
    I know that for me, when I binge drink-it affects me for more than just that day. When I am hungover, the last thing I want to do is workout-and I don't make good food choices the next day due to feeling like such crap.
    But I am not a wine drinker either...used to be mostly whiskey or tequilla drinks. I'm sure it's different for everyone, my boss drinks every day, and he still manages to do weights at the gym every day and eats well.
    I all around feel better when I'm not drinking very much-and the pounds come off a lot easier also. :)
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Thanks for the above replies. I doubt I'll feel lonely...alcohol isn't my friend! I do have other things in my life to do apart from booze!

I am mainly focusing on weight training so I just want to try and drop body fat and have successful workouts. I only have about 6lbs to drop so I suppose any thing will affect that. 4 months seems like a very long time for me though...I'm aiming for a month at the moment!
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    I agree, it does disrupt my sleep and obviously rest and sleep is vital in recovery and fat loss.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how often and how much you are really drinking. If you are binging every once in a while it's not really going to damage your goals but if you are getting smashed a few times a week then it can definitely hinder your health. It sounds like you aren't drinking all that much though so I wouldn't worry too much.

(sober 1.5 years :flowerforyou: )