What can I do besides drink?

Options
Before I embarked on my weight loss journey drinking was one of the ways I dealt with stress. It wasn't all the time and it wasn't out of control, but I always enjoyed the slight buzz of that 2nd glass of wine with my husband at the end of the day. I am not giving up alcohol forever but I it really is hindering any weight loss so I have decided to cut it out for awhile. On that note, I can relieve stress through meditation, yoga, and exercise. I get coffee or tea with friends and hang out with my family. I am pretty happy most of the time.

The downside, I have a pretty bad anxiety problem. Alcohol, even if I only drink a few times a month, has always been something I look forward to after a bad week. To me, things are more fun after a drink or two and it does relax me.

We don't have to get into the unhealthy mindset of this, the motivation to lose weight is my focus right now.

I guess what I am asking is what do people do for fun? I hear hobbies a lot but I don't tend to like most hobbies. Although happy, quite honestly I feel bored without drinking (sometimes, not all the time).

Suggestions?

Replies

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Exercise.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    A couple drinks every week or two won't kill your progress. First, know what "one drink" actually is, and don't drink more than 2 per week. Red wine is the best choice. Try to avoid beer and sugary mixtures. Make sure your diet is "clean", mainly eliminate refined carbs completely. If you want to make a lifestyle change, then you have to keep a few things you like to do in there, otherwise you won't stick with it.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    Exercise.

this is good advice but I already do that 5-7 times a week.
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    A couple drinks every week or two won't kill your progress. First, know what "one drink" actually is, and don't drink more than 2 per week. Red wine is the best choice. Try to avoid beer and sugary mixtures. Make sure your diet is "clean", mainly eliminate refined carbs completely. If you want to make a lifestyle change, then you have to keep a few things you like to do in there, otherwise you won't stick with it.

But if I miss the buzz then a few drinks a week won't do much for me. It is like I can't have as much fun without it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Uh...find hobbies you *do* like?

For example: my co-workers tend towards knitting, crocheting, homebrewing, arguing politics on the Internet, baking, thriftstore shopping. I run, bike, train dogs, jump out of airplanes, and recently learned to shoot a handgun.

And we ALL zone out to Netflix and Amazon Prime with steaming mugs of tea. :)
  • HotPotato22
    Options
    I guess I am new to this and besides hiking (too cold right now) can't seem to find any hobbies I love
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You can get professional help for your anxiety through therapy, it's really worth checking out hypnosis, mindfulness and various forms of psychotherapy. You could also try going for a challenge in terms of exercise; maybe aiming for a charity run and following a training plan through something like MiCoach. But seriously, a few drinks a week won't hurt, especially if you give your body several days off of processing alcohol every week and use them as a treat. Don't cut out everything you enjoy as it will make things feel too difficult, just don't be too hard on yourself x
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I guess I am new to this and besides hiking (too cold right now) can't seem to find any hobbies I love

Why not spend a day browsing the hobbies section at your local public library and see what kinds of topics pique your interest? (Even if it's something that needs to wait until either spring/summer or a vacation to parts warmer, like skydiving? ETA: Unless you're in Russia; Russian skydivers make the rest of us look sane.)

Obviously I enjoy slightly more out-there stuff than most, so I definitely sympathize with the struggle to find hobbies that work. >:)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    volunteer - getting outside of your own head can do wonders! You meet some pretty awesome ppl and realize life really isn't all about us. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like your drinking has masked other problems in your life, such as anxiety, boredom etc. Once you don't drink you realize there's much more out there in life to see and do than getting drunk..plus you'll remember it. ;)
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass or two of wine most days, more on a weekend. I'm still losing weight, 20lb in the last 8 weeks.

Surely as long as you log it all and stay at deficit you should still lose? Also those "I've had a couple of wines, I'm gonna eat the world!" Munchies can de a devil.

i recently changed to the lower alcohol wines 5% to 8% which i like. also cheaper. Hurrah!

i suffer from stress, anxiety and depression and have done for at least half of my life. Its ok at the moment and I'm weaning off pills currently. I would suggest taking to your doctor about some sort of therapy...i did some when nearly i had a nevous breakdown and found it helpful.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Play snap....
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    move to Colorado, Oregon, Washington or Alaska?
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    lol, wait, I just checked your profile and you live in Colorado. there is a calorie free alternative out there...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Exercise.

If you already do this but not to relieve stress. Revisit how you workout.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lol, wait, I just checked your profile and you live in Colorado. there is a calorie free alternative out there...

LOL, because, yeah, THAT's always good for trying to lose weight. :p
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Dude, have you ever SEEN a person with the munchies? The herb might be non-caloric, but the aftermath...woof.

I get you, OP. Sometimes a light buzz is really the easiest self-medication for anxiety...the problem is, it gets to be a habit, and you start feeling restless and bored when you give it a pass.

I try to do something creative every single night instead of reaching for a drink. I do different things, art projects, sewing, knitting, spinning...but ti's something just for me and just for my enjoyment. It's really satisfying for me and then when the kids call me in to watch some horrible TV show with them, I feel just fine grabbing a cup of tea instead of that "just one more" glass of wine.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I think in the long run alcohol can actually make anxiety/depression worse for some people?

Ideas for hobbies: anything which involves concentration, being active, or focusing on others. Dancing, book/film clubs, pilates, gym classes, cooking classes, language classes, sports team, reading, take a course in the evenings. I think sometimes being busy helps me relax and unwind more than just being left to my own devices, as I can build myself up into a big ball of stress and worry sometimes, so I need to keep my mind occupied.

You obviously want to reduce the amount you drink a little, and it's likely if you start to cut down you will find your tolerance decreases, so eventually it will take less to achieve that buzz (particularly if you're losing weight). So you aren't saying goodbye to it forever, just experiencing it a little less frequently. You could try having instead of having say 3 big glasses of wine, have 3 medium ones or spritzers. You still have the glass in hand, you still order as many drinks, but the amount of alcohol and calories are reduced. I try to go for what I really enjoy most because I feel satisfied quicker, so for me this would be 2 pints of my favourite beer versus potentially 4 or 5 bottles of weaker, less tasty stuff.

It does take a bit of time to get used to a change or to work out if you enjoy something that is out of your norm, so I would try some of the suggestions in this thread for a few weeks before deciding it wasn't viable.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation. I drank because it was fun...usually in a social setting. Guys meeting after work or going to clubs or BBQs etc. What I switch to is group activities that DONT include alcohol. So meeting guys after work to play B-Ball or R-ball, or joining a social dance club or meeting on Saturday morning to go jogging. That way you still get the social interaction but without alcohol.