Exercise help please

Options
Hi! Thanks in advance for being helpful. I'm new here.

I started working out about 2 weeks ago. 30 minutes everyday on our bowflex treadclimber. I'm addicted. It's an intense cardio for me and I'm soaked by the time I finish! I burn 300 calories each time I do it.

Anyhow-I'm starting to feel weak, almost cold symptoms like. Should I push thru doing workout everyday or only do 6 days with a day of rest each week? I'm wanting desperately to shape up and lose 10-15 lbs, as quickly as possible and don't want to do anything to set me back. But not sure if I'm overdoing it either? Any advice would be very welcomed! Thanks!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight you want to focus on resistance training. If you want to do cardio then you should try tabata training or HIIT training (you can probably do both on the bowflex). But remember, fat loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise, so definitely clean up your diet. Remove all refined carbs. Eat lean meats, vegetables, berries, eggs, oats etc. but no breads, pasta, cake etc.

Definitely take a rest day or two. It will allow you to put more intensity on the days you do train.
    245112 Posts: 13
    Options
    Sounds like your over doing it............You should have 2 days of rest (every 3 days rest). I did the same worked out 7 days though x2 hrs, ended up doing damage to muscles. My body was releasing enzymes attacking my muscle and breaking it down , I had to rest for days because I was losing muscle. I learned by a painful way NOT TO EXCERCISE SO MUCH. Remember, your body has to REST.....................Good luck........... :) Cat
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Rest, you are probably over doing it. You body heals and gains strength on the rest days. Exercise damages muscles and the rest days are healing days. Each are just as important.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Rest is important. And not burning 300 calories for a day or two will not slow your progress very much. Depending on how you feel, you could also do some light, easy exercise. Go for a walk, do some light yoga, etc. Then you'd burn *something* and still feel like you got your movement in.