New diet patch... on your TONGUE!!!!

Options
GorillaNJ
GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
The most extreme weight-loss method yet? The dieters having a patch sewn onto their tongues to make eating unbearably painful

The patch makes consuming solid food so painful that wearers are forced to resort to a liquid-only diet

By Margot Peppers

PUBLISHED: 14:42 EST, 4 June 2013 | UPDATED: 17:21 EST, 4 June 2013

A plastic patch sewn which is sewn onto the tongue and makes it very difficult to eat is the latest in extreme weight-loss methods.

The 'miracle' patch, which is secured to the tongue with six stitches, makes consuming solid food so painful that users are forced to resort to a liquid-only diet.

Launched in 2009 by Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Nikolas Chugay, the procedure can apparently help you lose up to 30lbs in one month - but not without uncomfortable side effects.

Diet trend: A 'miracle' patch that is sewn onto the tongue for a month is the latest extreme weight-loss technique. The pain of eating solid foods with the patch forces wearers to consume only liquids

Dr Chugay's website warns that patients may experience swelling of the tongue and difficulty with speech after getting the patch.

And according to Time, some patients have trouble sleeping and difficulty moving their tongue at all following the procedure, which has yet to be FDA-approved.

What's more, the patch can only be worn for a maximum of one month, since after that time, the tongue's tissue begins to grow back, and the patch can then become incorporated into the tongue.

But during that month, Dr Chugay provides an 'easy to follow' liquid diet of 800 calories a day, which 'fulfills nutritional needs' and 'maximizes weight loss results', according to his website.

The postage stamp-sized patch is made from marlex, a plastic that is commonly used as mesh to repair hernias, and is also the principal material used to make Hula Hoops.

'Miracle' tongue patch
article-2335786-1A253781000005DC-702_634x662.jpg

Inventor: Beverly Hills plastic surgeon Nikolas Chugay launched the patch in 2009, and he claims patients can lose up to 30lbs in just one month

The procedure costs $2,000 at Dr Chugay's Los Angeles clinic, where he said he has performed it on just over 60 women since 2009.

But in Venezuela, which boasts the largest beauty industry per capita in the world, women can get the patch for just $150.

Ana Maria Parra, who works at a clinic in Caracas, told Time she has seen upwards of 900 clients a month since she began offering the procedure in 2011.

Giovanni Sosa works at a different Caracas-based practice that has offered the surgery to eager patients for the past nine months.

'Venezuelans are very beauty-conscious,' he said.

'So when we offer something that shows concrete results, people will put that before its extreme nature.'

Indeed, according to Time, the average Venezuelan woman spends 20per cent of her annual income on cosmetics and beauty treatments, many of which are paid for by bank loans.

Yomaira Jaspe, a Venezuelan woman who recently underwent the procedure, said she felt like it was the only effective weight-loss option for her.

'I don't have the willpower to go on a diet, so this was the only way,' she explained.
The dieter's tongue patch explained

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2335786/The-extreme-weight-loss-method-The-dieters-having-patch-sewn-tongues-make-eating-unbearably-painful.html

Now I have read about some crazy diet schemes... but really... what sort of sadist came up with torturing yourself everytime you eat!

I can offer a similar service... for half the price. Hire me as your personal eating consultant and I will punch you in Fcuking mouth every time you go to eat a meal. NOT FDA approved... yet

Replies

• PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    That's insane!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Obviously they've never heard of Pavlov. Any person who does this will likely associate food with pain for a long, long time.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    This is an old article, which I see Daily Mail decided to post today.. I see this a few years ago.

But, in relation to this article - anyone to do this is an idiot. :-)

EDIT: I agree with Pearsquared!
  • Nikki_XC
    Nikki_XC Posts: 69
    Options
    WTF
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    WTF?!?!?!? :noway:
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If today was the 1st April. I would have thought April Fool. Anybody going along with this absurd dieting tool. Needs their head examined.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Patients would be better off going to counseling to help them deal with the underlying mental issues associated with eating. People are desperate, but they don't want to look internally at their issues-- they'd rather pay big money and go through painful surgery than address the real issues.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    *groans* that makes my entire body hurt. Can't they just follow the diet without the patch if they're that determined?? Ouch and no thanks
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have to say that if this really does exist I won't be trying it. Why not just go on this 800 calorie liquid diet? You know if a person wants that food bad enough they will find a way to have it.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Dumbbbb. This is just feeding into society's issue. Plus, food is way too tasty to give up.
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    guess I'm going to Venezuela, which boasts the largest beauty industry per capita in the world, women can get the patch for just $150.

LOL!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    mmmmm Pain and food at the same time!? I will need a moment!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    holy desperation!
  • whitey7862
    whitey7862 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of running but think that is still a much better route to take than this!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Thank you Nikolas Chugay!! The tongue patch is really the only accessory that goes with my Cilice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilice
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Hey, guess what!? Dude isn't board certified in plastic surgery. Shocking.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Whoa!! Now, this is just plain crazy!!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Thank you Nikolas Chugay!! The tongue patch is really the only accessory that goes with my Cilice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilice

Thankyou for saving me the effort of looking Cilice... more internet message board posters should follow your etiquette.
  • skwirlslady
    Options
    I think this is the sickest thing I have ever read...LOL!!!! Who in their RIGHT mind would ever consider self torture for thirty pounds.
    If you said 150 lbs. maybe I would consider it....but for thirty pounds, I would much rather do the work. Plus once you get past the mental abuse and the healing is done, you are going to put that thirty pounds right back on. If you didn't have the will power to begin with what difference is there going to be in a month. Don't get me wrong! thirty pounds makes a difference and it is significant but not enough for the torture champers..