Muscle mass vs weight loss

acwing612
acwing612 Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2015 in Introduce Yourself
i am doing very good with my calorie, carb, and protein intake however I am a very active person and work out every day. I know muscles weighs more than fat so How can I continue to be active but not negate the progression of weight loss?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I'd suggest stepping back and thinking about your objectives. To me, scale weight isn't a great indicator of success.

So if you're trying to lose weight, eating at a deficit and doing some phys then you've got a sustainable approach. Depending on what that phys is, then your outcomes might vary a little. It's highly unlikely that you're gaiing muscle mass, although if you're doing resistance training thenyou should be seeing retention of lean mass. Your planned rate of loss and the volume of your training will define what the balance is between fat and lean loss.

It might be a question of either moderating your weight loss expectations, or broadening your range of measures to include measurements, and sports performance as well.

Personally my weight is secondary to my running performance and the fit of my work clothes; suits.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Muscle is more dense than fat. If you are eating at a deficit, you are not putting on appreciable muscle mass.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Easy keep working out and eat at a deficit. You will not gain muscle in a caloric deficit, no matter how hard you workout, unless you are on 'roids.

If anything working out is great, as usually when you lose weight you lose fat, muscle, other lbm, but by working out and getting adequate protein you help ensure you lose less muscle, meaning more of your weight loss will come from fat.