Paleo Diet

Options
2»

Replies

• MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Anything will work as long as you stay within your CICO and don't have a medical condition.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I think it's an awesome diet. I just got my physical done yesterday and I will be posting my last three years of results this weekend in graph form plus numbers - the doctor basically used words like "amazing" and "continue to do what you are doing" and I transformed into a Paleo diet within the past year. Not only have I dumped 50 pounds of pure fat, but the numbers are incredible to boot.

My numbers below were horrible before my test yesterday. I was borderline Type II and was close to being on cholesterol medication. The Western Diet is a complete and utter failure. Many people on here purport one can eat whatever they want and just let CICO rule - well that isn't necessarily true.

Raw Numbers (9 months after last physical exam):

CHOLESTEROL 100 - 199 mg/dL: 129
    TRIGLYCERIDE 10 - 149 mg/dL: 44
    HDL 40 - 59 mg/dL: 62
    CHOL/HDL RATIO 2.0 - 5.0: 2.1
    LDL CALCULATED <=99 mg/dL: 58

Last two tests - Cholesterol was close to 200 and HDL was below 35.

I am 80/20 Paleo with movement to almost 100%. The only thing I do take issue with is some dairy. I eat non-GMO grass-fed cow whole yogurt. Beyond that, I have killed legumes and grains. I don't miss it one bit. I eat lean meats, veggies, and fruit. I have now ordered Paleo-certified protein and preworkout stuff from www.mynaturalforce.com. They are the only ones in the industry apparently that received the certification from the Paleo Foundation.

I believe in it and the numbers prove it. My doctor yesterday was so ecstatic to see me after several months - she sees the difference physically, my BMI is in normal range now (weighed in at exactly 170# which was my goal starting March 1st last year) and obviously the numbers prove beyond any doubt that this kind of diet regimen over the long run works.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I think it's an awesome diet. I just got my physical done yesterday and I will be posting my last three years of results this weekend in graph form plus numbers - the doctor basically used words like "amazing" and "continue to do what you are doing" and I transformed into a Paleo diet within the past year. Not only have I dumped 50 pounds of pure fat, but the numbers are incredible to boot.

My numbers below were horrible before my test yesterday. I was borderline Type II and was close to being on cholesterol medication. The Western Diet is a complete and utter failure. Many people on here purport one can eat whatever they want and just let CICO rule - well that isn't necessarily true.

I am 80/20 Paleo with movement to almost 100%. The only thing I do take issue with is some dairy. I eat non-GMO grass-fed cow whole yogurt. Beyond that, I have killed legumes and grains. I don't miss it one bit. I eat lean meats, veggies, and fruit. I have now ordered Paleo-certified protein and preworkout stuff from www.mynaturalforce.com. They are the only ones in the industry apparently that received the certification from the Paleo Foundation.

I believe in it and the numbers prove it. My doctor yesterday was so ecstatic to see me after several months - she sees the difference physically, my BMI is in normal range now (weighed in at exactly 170# which was my goal starting March 1st last year) and obviously the numbers prove beyond any doubt that this kind of diet regimen over the long run works.

Nice work, those are good numbers.

Just to mention though, when people say CICO, they're referring to weight loss and not health, don't really understand the confusion there but anyway, I changed by diet about 6 yrs ago to a lower carb diet and I eat mostly whole foods, but not paleo in the least. My HDL went from the high 60's which was good anyway to just over 100 and my LDL is just under 90, which interestingly enough, many Dr's would want to medicate me with those high numbers, weird but true. The drastic drop for me was my trigs, it went from 170ish to the 30's.

• Hollywood_Porky
    Options

Just to mention though, when people say CICO, they're referring to weight loss and not health, don't really understand the confusion there but anyway, I changed by diet about 6 yrs ago to a lower carb diet and I eat mostly whole foods, but not paleo in the least. My HDL went from the high 60's which was good anyway to just over 100 and my LDL is just under 90, which interestingly enough, many Dr's would want to medicate me with those high numbers, weird but true. The drastic drop for me was my trigs, it went from 170ish to the 30's.

Wow that is truly awesome! Very very impressive. Yeah there's no reason to medicate if your levels are ratio-wise congruent - it shouldn't matter in my eyes.

On the CICO comment - this is a CICO-based site - I had to throw it in because there's a lot of misleading information on here about what kind of diet truly works over the long run for weight loss. Going Paleo or low carb works - and it's proven in the numbers and studies. I don't know why there's so many people who think you can "have your cake and eat it too" on this site and believing that processed foods and refined sugars can be part of a healthy diet to lose FAT pounds. The Twinkie diet is a failure - even the doctor questioned his own results - it wouldn't work over the long term because you would end up with fatty liver disease, you would lose precious muscle, and gain visceral fat. There's a bottom line to all of this and to answer OPs question with relation to CICO - if you want to lose the FAT permanently over the long term, you must adhere to a heart-healthy, liver-healthy, body-healthy, mind-healthy diet. Cheat all you want (and I do in very very small ways) but to be honest, you can't live like that over the long run.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Wow that is truly awesome! Very very impressive. Yeah there's no reason to medicate if your levels are ratio-wise congruent - it shouldn't matter in my eyes.

On the CICO comment - this is a CICO-based site - I had to throw it in because there's a lot of misleading information on here about what kind of diet truly works over the long run for weight loss. Going Paleo or low carb works - and it's proven in the numbers and studies. I don't know why there's so many people who think you can "have your cake and eat it too" on this site and believing that processed foods and refined sugars can be part of a healthy diet to lose FAT pounds. The Twinkie diet is a failure - even the doctor questioned his own results - it wouldn't work over the long term because you would end up with fatty liver disease, you would lose precious muscle, and gain visceral fat. There's a bottom line to all of this and to answer OPs question with relation to CICO - if you want to lose the FAT permanently over the long term, you must adhere to a heart-healthy, liver-healthy, body-healthy, mind-healthy diet. Cheat all you want (and I do in very very small ways) but to be honest, you can't live like that over the long run.

Good grief, the point of the Twinkie diet was never to recommend it as a sustainable life-long diet.

The point of moderation advocates on this site is never to recommend a diet comprised only of sugars and processed foods, either.

Straw men, much?

There are too many other people on this site who have lost fat and improved their numbers without dietary gymnastics to disprove your beloved belief on the one true way of eating.

Oh, I'm just starting my journey but have lost 3% points in body fat and improved my cholesterol. Eating grains and far more dairy than you. And beans. In fact, I'm a vegetarian. I eat sugar now and then too. Simply losing weight and eating an overall balanced diet will improve health markers.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    kjm3579 wrote: »
    It's another fad diet based on false assumptions. If you restrict calories in and burn more then you loose weight. http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Cults-Surprising-Fallacy-Nutrition/dp/1605985600

Bolded for truth...
  • MrCoolGrim
    Options

My point is eat whatever you want and makes you feel good. I beleive unless you have a medical condition that you can go by what ever diet you want or just eat everything in moderation. But all diets are the same. The only way to lose weight is with a caloric deficit.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

There you go again. Making claims about health and weight just because you don't understand it. So I guess none of us that actually lost the fat, got lean and healthy actually did any of that while eating thing we like in moderation even if it had added sugar or was processed. We are all just making it up right?

I understand it completely. My doctor understands it and applauded all that I have done. I lost the FAT pounds. I have the blood work to prove what I did was sustainable. I don't crave sweets.

Too bad you don't see it that way. The doctors do! LOL!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My advice would be to simply eat a well balanced diet rich in whole food nutrition and meals prepared from scratch, whole ingredients, all the while hitting your calorie goals.

There's nothing magical about paleo...there are elements of paleo that I like (as in the emphasis on whole foods)...but then they also demonize certain whole foods which is absurd. Also, srsly...you're never going to eat anything that has been commercially processed? I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people who follow paleo can't even follow paleo because it's too restrictive...just look at how many people create their own versions of this...reminds me of religions..."I agree with X,Y, a Z but don't follow Y because I don't feel like it...but I'm still a (insert religion/philosophy/diet/whatever)".

Also, you can eat paleo or any other diet out there and it will only work so long as you are in a deficit of energy...all diets are the same in that RE...they are designed to put you in an energy (calorie) deficit because that's the only way to lose weight...'cuz science.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Well, just to clear a few things up. A higher protein diet which generally means reducing carbs to compensate will promote better health markers in someone that consumes a calorie dense and higher carbohydrate diet and the popular comparison is the SAD, otherwise all bets are off. There's plenty of cultures around the world that consume a very high carb diet where the incident of obesity and heart disease is low. The dominant factor in NA is obesity which drives metabolic dysfunction, lose weight, health markers improve and the twinkie diet was proof of that and has really nothing to do with eating twinkies, it was just an exercise in weight loss as it pertained to health markers, which improved. Now take an athlete or someone with normal health markers and feed them a twinkie diet, now that would be interesting as would a comparison where weight was controlled. Anyway my point is, if the diet is something you can embrace, go for it, but it's not a miracle diet. Mine for example improved my health markers and I eat all the foods that the paleo diet says I will by default have poorer health. The take home message should be eat mostly whole foods and meet your daily nutrient requirements within a reasonable calorie allotment, and your health should be better.

• MrCoolGrim
    Options
    Nobody is denying your success and I actually applaud you for it. If it aain't broken why fix it! But don't say that the Paleo way is the only way. Because its not. I eat everything and I too have gotten a good report card from my doctor and i'm in my early forties.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

This truly is great for you. There is no doubt about that. I have to say though, my numbers did exactly the same thing in about year. I can post numbers on Monday. I mean, seriously, almost identical. I went from 253lbs to 175lbs in 8 months. Dropped from 29-30% body fat (guessing here) to probably 14%. I did that eating a moderation diet where I hit my macros and micros almost every day. I have a very high TDEE and eat right around 3400 right now to maintain, but I endulge...I drink, I eat sweets sometimes, I say screw it some days and eat whatever. Still, numbers are every bit as impressive as yours. Now add another year and I am still right around 175#s and 11-12% body fat eating the same type of diet. So by your logic, don't my numbers prove beyond any doubt that this kind of diet regimen over the long run works?
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lots of bad information here. The "paleo" diet is a great way of eating with a ridiculous name. People -- particularly uneducated people -- tend to get caught up on the name and can't get beyond "haha! cave people died at 36!!1!"

So forget the dumb marketing, the dumb name, the dumb comments, and any pretense that you're eating like prehistoric man. Cut out processed foods, grains, and legumes, and many people find that they can easily meet their caloric goal and still feel full.

I eat about 90% paleo (other than the beer part) without even trying, because eating plenty of veggies and meat stops me from craving junk and makes it super easy to meet my eating goals without getting hungry.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    any tips???
    start here for support:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

and avoid the general forum...
  • neanderthin
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Lots of bad information here. The "paleo" diet is a great way of eating with a ridiculous name. People -- particularly uneducated people -- tend to get caught up on the name and can't get beyond "haha! cave people died at 36!!1!"

So forget the dumb marketing (and the dumb comments). Cut out processed foods, grains, and legumes, and many people find that they can easily meet their caloric goal and still feel full.

I eat about 90% paleo (other than the beer part) without even trying, because eating plenty of veggies and meat stops me from craving junk and makes it super easy to meet my eating goals without getting hungry.
    So if you add grains and legumes but keep calories constant you will gain weight, is that what your saying?