Feeling dizzy - possibly TMI

Options

Replies

• Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Leana088 wrote: »
    I've been feeling dizzy all day. Esspecially when I get up from a sitting/laying down position.

I do usually have low blood sugar, particularly when I don't eat enough salt. But I have eaten something very salty, and something very sugary as well a bit earlier, neither have helped.

However, it's almost TOM and usually I would go bonkers with the food around this time, but I haven't this month, I haven't felt an urge to, and just stuck to my normal eating habits. Could it be because of that?

You sound confused. Blood sugar will not rise by eating something salty, blood pressure will.
    If it is not terrible and you are not at risk of fainting etc, then it could be as simple as a cold. If it is not the first time this happens, or you feel you can't stand up, time to call the doctor.

Oh yeah sorry. I meant to type low blood pressure. I can't fix it though. Mobile app won't let me.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Since you say you are not yet sexually active, may I ask how old are you? And how can you be on birth control pills without going for regular check-ups?
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If this is new to you and hasn't gone away, you should probably visit your doctor. Meclizine or Dramamine might help temporarily if you're still dizzy.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Since you say you are not yet sexually active, may I ask how old are you? And how can you be on birth control pills without going for regular check-ups?

I'm 21, turning 22 in April. I've been on BC since I've been 15. It was prescribed to me then by the doctor to regulate my periods, which was way out of whack.

I'd have it one month, then skip two months, then have it again for like a week. With insane cramps.
    Then skip some more months, or sometimes have it twice in one month.

I don't know if my period has ever gotten to a normal point since then. I've never stopped drinking them to check.
  • Leana088
    Options

I'm 21, turning 22 in April. I've been on BC since I've been 15. It was prescribed to me then by the doctor to regulate my periods, which was way out of whack.

I'd have it one month, then skip two months, then have it again for like a week. With insane cramps.

I don't know if my period has ever gotten to a normal point since then. I've never stopped drinking them to check.

He is still aware that I'm drinking them. He hasn't told me to stop taking it. So I continue.
  • pilot1960
    pilot1960 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Could be different causes. Best have a word with Doctor, get checked out. In the U.K. there is a lot of Labyrinchitis going around caused by a virus. This affects the inner ear balance and can cause symptoms from mild dizziness, balance problems, eyes not focusing straight away when changing from vertical to horizontal positions. Like I said, get checked out.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    To sound like the nagging mother: pap smears test for cancer and have nothing to do with being sexually active. I'd recommend annual appointments for basic screenings (my doctor does blood work to test common vitamin/mineral levels and hormones like testosterone, thyroid, etc). Pap smears have been reclassified, and as long as you've had two in a row that are negative, they can be done every 3 years.

And do you self breast exams monthly.

/mothering
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Sounds like orthostatic hypotention, which can be the result of various different issues. Best to go see your doctor.
  • Leana088
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    To sound like the nagging mother: pap smears test for cancer and have nothing to do with being sexually active. I'd recommend annual appointments for basic screenings (my doctor does blood work to test common vitamin/mineral levels and hormones like testosterone, thyroid, etc). Pap smears have been reclassified, and as long as you've had two in a row that are negative, they can be done every 3 years.

And do you self breast exams monthly.

/mothering

Awww thanks mom =P
  • holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

He is still aware that I'm drinking them. He hasn't told me to stop taking it. So I continue.

I may be missing the point but... I have never heard of birth control that is drinkable...
  • Leana088
    Options

I may be missing the point but... I have never heard of birth control that is drinkable...

Eh, drink pills with water.

English = second language.

Not concentrating too well today.
  • holliebaker90
    holliebaker90 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Eh, drink pills with water.

English = second language.

Not concentrating too well today.

Whew, ok! That's what I was hoping you were saying! You could possibly have vertigo from sinus problems? I tend to get dizzy every once in a while because of sinus blockage.

Although... Nothing on this thread is going to tell you the exact answer unless you go see your doctor!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The same thing happens to me around my period. I started taking an iron pill, and it seems to help. I'm going to the doctor next week to get blood work done and see if I'm anemic. Could be low iron levels, or blood sugar. Or that you aren't eating enough. Could you add 100 cals a day and see if it helps around your TOM?

I know a few other people who get dizzy/lightheaded around their period, I don't think it's all that uncommon. It would help to get checked out, though.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

Even though, I've just started feeling this way last night. In the middle of the night, when I woke up and my whole room was spinning while I was laying in bed. :confused:

Okay, my previous post may have been incorrect. I was going by the fact that you said it happens especially when you get up from a sitting/laying down position. The spinning sensation you mentioned while laying down sounds like vertigo. Still doesn't change my opinion that you should see a doctor. :) Vertigo can have many causes as well.

• blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My kids babysitter had a problem like this and it ended up being an iron issue. It wouldn't hurt to have blood work done to make sure. I had low iron with my second child and all I had to do was eat high iron foods and take an over the counter supplement.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Edit: You've "just" started feeling this way last night? Do you have an ear infection? Ear infections typically give people vertigo and dizzy throughout the day. I think my advice below to go see a doctor still applies since they can easily check your ears to see if there's fluid building up.

I teach a blood pressure class in the community here and what you're describing is a common side effect of having low blood pressure. It's also very common for people who are on BP meds (which is more who I deal with), but everyone gets it from time to time.

If you notice it especially when you stand up or stretch from sitting for a long period of time, it's called orthostatic hypotension http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

I have pretty low blood pressure at rest and it's even worse around my period because I'm a bit anemic. If I'm on a heavy day I can almost pass out if I stand up too fast. But a lot of people get mild versions of this from time to time, especially if you've been reclining or seated in the same position without moving much.

If it's happening regularly yes you should talk to a doctor about it. It might just be you have low BP normally which hey is good news for you because statistically you'll be at a lower risk for stroke/heart attack provided you stay healthy. On the other hand it can be dangerous if you don't watch yourself - things like hot tubs that make your blood pressure freak out if you stand up too quickly? Yeah, I've passed out from that before. And if you were to fall of course there are dangers to falling.

And it might be your BP is low due to an underlying condition, such as anemia or a heart problem...dunno unless you go see a doctor!

And as someone in public health I'd like to echo the post above about getting your annual physicals and pap smears done. Pap smears aren't there to test for STDs, it's to catch early signs of cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is one of the few cancers we can completely PREVENT years before it would become a problem, but it only works if you do the screening for it. Same with colon cancer for people > 50, etc. A lot of doctors do some STD testing while they're doing the pap because it's easy enough to collect samples for both, but the purpose of a pap is to test for cell abnormality. If you're almost 22 and have never gotten a pap smear before, you should. At your age you only need to get one every other year anyway.

So long story short, go get an annual physical. If you have insurance, almost every insurance plan I've heard of provides free annual exams anyway, no need to worry about co-pay.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling dizzy all day. Esspecially when I get up from a sitting/laying down position.

I do usually have low blood sugar, particularly when I don't eat enough salt. But I have eaten something very salty, and something very sugary as well a bit earlier, neither have helped.

However, it's almost TOM and usually I would go bonkers with the food around this time, but I haven't this month, I haven't felt an urge to, and just stuck to my normal eating habits. Could it be because of that?

You need to talk to your doctor.
  • Leana088
    Options
    lynndot1 wrote: »
    I have pretty low blood pressure at rest and it's even worse around my period because I'm a bit anemic.

I think the ear infection is unlikely. But thanks a lot. I'm also slightly anemic, and my doctor told me that I eat much too little salt in my diet, I hate salty food.

I am also one of those people who sit still like a statue. I don't even flick a finger, and breathe very shallow (that's why I'm always yawning, and then people think they are boring me). Could be that too. :)

If its not better by tomorrow I'll go to the doctor.

• jennapoole
    jennapoole Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing last month i actually went to the Dr twice. First time he sent me for a few samples of blood and i went back two days after that and basically demanded a full blood work up which he agreed to and there was nothing that came back abnormal in my blood results. Not pregnant either. This lasted for a good two weeks and then one day it was just gone. Im thinking it must have been a bug i was fighting off ??
  • Leana088
    Options
    I'm better today. I guess it was just my blood pressure again.