how to fight lifetime junk food addiction

Options
I won't be able to check replies to this until later but I am writing this morning because I am so frustrated that the scale keeps going up despite working out at least an hour to an hour and a half five to six days a week. Yes I"m getting in very good shape as far as cardio and strength but stupid scale is not reflecting my hard work and I know it is because of my bad diet.

Before I go any further PLEASE do not put negative comments or about willpower. If I naturally had willpower, I wouldn't be dealing with a true addiction to sweets and I know about addiction because I am in recovery (from alcohol) almost five years sober now but giving up junk food/sweets is ten times harder than alcohol was. My father was obese and died at the age of 33 from heart attack so I also know the consequences if I don't figure out how to stop this

I've been eating nothing but fast foods/junk food since I was a toddler and I have tried many times to eat fruits/veggies and the taste is horrible. I just can't bring myself to eat it. I have cut back fried foods and almost everything I eat is grilled/baked. I got a food scale for portion control. It's the sweet tooth and late night cravings I am dealing with as well as emotional eating especially during certain time of the month when I seem to not care for a few days (sorry guys)

There HAS to be a way to curb this sweet tooth and make me not pick up the sweets. I've even tried not bringing it in the house but next thing I know i"m asking my husband to bring me some ice cream (Blizzard at DQ are my weakness) I've even been trying self hypnosis for about a week but no luck with that yet either. I get so mad at myself to burn hundreds of calories in a workout only to eat twice that much later in the day.

I haven't been entering my food into the log so it's not accurate right now. I'm gonna work on doing that again starting today. It's kind of been hit or miss with my logging although I do write it down, I don't like putting it out there where other people can see it.

I know there isn't a "quick fix" I've been doing this long enough to know that and I have lost 70+ lbs twice in the past so I know it's possible but I've never had quite this much trouble before. Guess it's because I was younger then (I'm 38 now) Is there anything you have tried-supplement, mental trick, anything that helps keep you from picking up that 480 calorie honey bun or even worse 900 calorie ice cream/milkshake??

Oh also not as an excuse but just to kind of offer further exlanation as to why I'm struggling I also have struggled with depression my whole life and turn to food as a comfort thing. Thought about getting counseling for that but live in small rural area with not many options in that area unless I pay for it privately.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    It's tuff changing from calorie dense tasty processed foods to rather plain whole foods for it seems a whole generation of people. I'm not in that group, I was raised on whole foods and rarely ate the former. It's basically commitment and dedication, the rest is noise. Possibly take a cooking course or find a food culture you can embrace and try and put some fun into it, and your house will smell better.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Do you like berries? One way I got away from eating way too many sweets (ridiculous, embarassing amounts) is to keep frozen berries. I weigh some out, a decent handful isn't many calories at all - and with them being frozen, it slows you down eating. They are sweet (watch the strawberries they can be not so sweet lol) and it gives you some fiber too if you do raspberries/blackberries.

I've never been big on ice cream...maybe freeze some little yogurt cups that are lower calorie? Put a popsicle stick in them right thru the foil cover and freeze or use a popsicle maker, put some berries in each and fill just about to the top with a flavored yogurt and freeze your own. You could also measure out some chocolate bits to a calorie count you can accept and put that in the yogurt popsicles - your own version of a blizzard. It's delicious and creamy and worth a try. Also...since it has protein maybe it can help you get full and stop craving.

Protein is my biggest trick now that I have sweet tooth under better control. I try to eat something lower calorie (since end of day not always many left) but high protein as a late evening snack. Something like some jerky, or boiled eggs, or 1 oz of cheese, or serving of almonds...even an apple or pear can be kind of filling because of fiber. Maybe a combo of apple and some pb (measured) or apple and cheese?

edit: I forgot about yogurt drops! you can take some berries (I like these with blueberries) and dip them in yogurt and drop them on some wax paper in a single layer and freeze. Once frozen, put them in a ziploc and there's a nice sweet but lower calorie "treat".
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Since you see people mentioning will-power as a negative comment, I'm not really sure what you're looking for as a response. Maybe you should think about medicating your depression and/or joining a support group for compulsive over-eaters (they are usually free and held in libraries or local hospitals)?

I have binge eating disorder and sometimes it gets out of control and sometimes it's in control. You can make your diary private if you don't want people to judge you for your choices. I recommend adding everything you eat for a whole week, no matter how much you go over. Look at what you overeat, when you choose to eat it and maybe try to make a connection to why you're doing it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Carry on as you plan to. Do you plan on giving up sweets for the rest of your life? Personally, I pre-log and make room in my day for a treat, this way I don't feel I'm going without.
  • belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Oh dear...... nothing can replace chocolate! Or my homemade sweets or cakes. NOTHING! And to be honest, that's just it! I eat them when I feel cravings.... sometimes I take just a little, sometimes some more, and sometimes I surprise myself and just don't feel like trying anything :smiley:

Please don't feel bad about yourself. It is frustrating, I know.... but it really is just willpower (and some heavy PMS you can't ignore - ice cream helps :wink: )
  • jessdunn40
    Options
    I eat junk food around once a week or 2 weeks. I love food especially junk and chips are my favorite. I will eat a family size bag of ranch chips in a sitting. It took me a while to get control. 1) asked myself is it worth it? 2) I prelog my food when I know we are going out. 3) give yourself a break if needed. And if this does not work you can try to cut down to eating junk food one day a week or 3 days a week, then slowly cut back. Also, I found recipes for healthy food that taste like junk food :smile: Good luck http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/healthy_recipes_to_satisfy_junk_food_cravings?slide=1#leaderboardad
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Increasing fats has helped me. Finding things you enjoy eating to replace the honey bun or high calorie fast food meal might help, too. For example, rather than ice cream I blend frozen berries with a tbsp heavy cream, a splash of water, and Stevia.

You say you don't like vegetables and fruit..but have you tried preparing them different ways? There are tons of recipes out there to try.

If you're not logging accurately, there's no way to stay on task within your calorie goal.

I'm doing very low carb, for medical reasons, and don't have sugar cravings as badly as before. There might be many people on here who will say sweets aren't addicting..but they were to me. They had a direct link to how I felt. When my sugar was low and I ate candy, I felt immediately better. Then, my sugar would drop again within half an hour and the carb cravings would be back. When your sugar drops you feel like you need carbs. I mean..NEED.

Its part will power and mentality and part finding what works for you and keeps you satisfied. There are plenty of food alternatives that can help to get away from the foods that you have issue with.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Rather than focusing on the fruits/veggies that "taste horrible" - I am sure there are *some* things that you like. Or maybe things you might re-try because previously you didn't like the way they were prepared.

Make a list of the fruits and veggies you like, the ones that are "OK" and the ones that you might consider trying a different way. (For instance, my husband would say he hates spinach...but he hates cooked spinach. He enjoys raw spinach in a salad in place of lettuce.)

You can lose weight and still enjoy treats. Unfortunately you do have to learn to exercise some self control - there is no way around it.

I have always had a habit of reaching for high-sugar foods most of my life. I would eat an entire box of Froot Loops in one sitting. I would drink almost an entire 2 liter bottle of Dr Pepper in one day. I did not want water, it did not appeal to me. Now I drink water almost exclusively - water, black coffee (my comfort food! lol) and black tea (hot. I hate unsweetened iced tea.) So I know where you're coming from. I LOVE SWEETS! ALWAYS HAVE!

Instead of trying to go cold turkey, try to change 1 habit at a time.

Do you drink a lot of soda? How much do you drink? Try to replace one serving of that with water. If you drink 3 cans of soda a day, cut back to 2 cans and drink 12 oz of water instead. If it helps, get the 0 calorie flavored water.

Then after a couple weeks - cut out 1 more can and replace with water. You don't have to cut soda out completely. I chose to cut soda completely because I decided I didn't want to waste calories on drinking (unless it was wine) and keep my calories for food. It took me a while to appreciate water. It was not an overnight thing. I did it because I knew it was better for me to drink more water. I wanted to be healthy and I had to do it. Now...I love water.

I also find that I crave sweets less when I drink more water and eat more nutritionally dense foods. If you like baby carrots and celery, add them to your diet. If you hate Macintosh apples, try red delicious or gala. Try different things. My friend only likes celery with peanut butter. That's fine - if that's how you like it, just eat it.

Don't be overwhelmed by all the "cants" or that big mountain of "junk food" you're looking at. Just hack away with baby steps.

This is a deep rooted habit but you can overcome - if you really really want to. You have to want it more than anything.
  • levitateme
    Options
    You really can't make room for a 900 calorie blizzard on a regular basis. OP will not benefit from all the "just fit it into your day" comments because the sentiment behind the advice is the essence of will-power.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    You can still have sweets. Try by just eating 1/2 the portions you are eating now as a start. At some point you have to decide how badly you want to lose the weight. Do you want it more than that milkshake or honeybun? Unfortunately you will have to make sacrafices because there isn't an easy fix. When I say sacrafices I mean some portions, not necessarily the entire sweet. Cut everything you eat in half and throw the rest in the trash. Some people consider that wasting food but whether it's waste in the trash or waste in your body, it's still waste. Good luck to you, I know it's not easy but you have done it before so deep down you know what you have to do to lose the weight.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Baby steps and chill out.
    1. Start logging properly. Its an essential tool. keep it private but make sure its complete and accurate. If you dont know what you are eating then how cna you expect to be in consistent deficit?
    2. Be patient
    3. Do a sensible and gradual shift from sweets to less calorific alternatives as well as portion control existing sweets.
    4. Deal with the underlying depression and mindset. I get the impression of someone really keen to want to change, but unwilling to see it for what its is, with a lot of cant wont shant. At some stage it comes to the point that if you arent losing then you need to make changes and get yourself into calorific deficit. Whilst you are saying you want that in one sense, then you are looking for too dramatic solutions. Complete restriction and prohibition wont work for you, therefore moderation, change and consistency is the way forward. You have to take responsibility when you have that 900 calorie shake.
  • sangster19
    sangster19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Read the book Power of Habit. This can change your life. It explains how everything we do is a habit loop, and how to break that cycle. This is a mind game, and you CAN win it.
  • PilgrimPT
    PilgrimPT Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a little bit different, but here is a thought or 2 that helped me.
    1) Cravings are not always what they seem. When my diet is deficient in protein I have big troubles with cravings & food binges. It is like my body knows it is missing something it wants, but doesn't tune the urge very well. I added 1 or 2 protein bars a day to my diet and found food cravings drastically improved. Yes, that is 200-400 calories more, but it staves off a 1,000 calorie binge!
    2) The best time to deal with cravings is before you get them. My binges don't come on instantly -- I get a few minor urges first -- things that average will-power can deal with. If I drink 4oz of V8 juice at the first minor urge, often it quells things. Ditto, 4oz fruit juice mixed with 8 oz of diet lemon-lime soda. But if you wait until you get HUNGRY and feeling desperate, this just doesn't work. A stitch in time . . .
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    You really can't make room for a 900 calorie blizzard on a regular basis. OP will not benefit from all the "just fit it into your day" comments because the sentiment behind the advice is the essence of will-power.
    eq33b2zo1c93.gif
    ^You can, but you have to decide if the Blizzard is more important than a meal of meat and veg.

My advice will probably be considered "negative", OP, but here it is. Is your sweets "addiction" an all-or-nothing approach, or can you moderate it at all? Can you deal with portion control such as splitting cookies up into snack bags, or do you absolutely have to eat the whole box in one go? Love Blizzards myself, but I can deal with having a mini one rather than a medium and keeping it to once a week or month in summer.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options

This is true - but you can opt for a smaller serving size, right? Every so often I want ice cream and instead of buying an entire container, I go to McDonald's and get a plain sundae in a cup. I enjoy it just as much. I get mad when they tell me their ice cream machine is down. They have no idea how much I wanted it right then. LOL

• ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible sweet tooth - and a day without an (un)healthy dose of chocolate just isn't complete. I can't have chocolate protein bars or even Skinny Cow ice cream around because I eat WAY too many. I'm trying to fight this by:
    - chocolate protein shake in the morning - and I add some no sugar added choco syrup, make it in the blender with ice and it holds off my cravings (for a while). sometimes I'll repeat during the day - adding mint or raspberry extract is a nice touch for something different.
    - fruit teas - made STRONG with fake sugar. Actually satisfies my sweet tooth. Zero calories.
    - Just tried some chocolate mint tea, added some fake sugar, and used it as my evening 'snack'. It worked. Zero calories.
    - This sounds crazy, but I'm finding that a cough drop (almost all varieties, but I kind of like the no sugar added cherry ones) can last a long time and stop me from my digging through the kitchen for anything sweet. They're like five calories each.

Obviously, I don't eat 'clean'... and have to avoid Dairy Queen like the plague LOL. I also have very very little around the house that's chocolate, and for my skinny husband buy candy bars I don't like (coconut) or pies that I can easily resist. I also will occasionally treat myself to a real candy bar, and it goes in the diary.

I feel your pain. Good luck!
  • plumppork
    plumppork Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Don't feel Bad. My problem is not sweets but carbs. To be honest I could live on chips and popcorn and cheezies. I generally don't love healthy food but am trying my hardest.
    I have found that it is no good trying for substitutes as they just get me back to cheating again. you know like "eat dried fruit instead its so yummy!" No its not! My best advice that works for me is that I have given up eating after supper. No substitutes. If you want a treat it has to be right after supper when your not so hungry or not at all. In your case I would try the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches and drumsticks they are actually good.
    Sometimes I have to go to bed early because I don't want to eat. The other thing I am trying my best at is that if I do cheat, I cheat and get back on track. Before I would cheat and keep cheating cause I would feel bad about cheating. You know binging and telling myself I will get back on track tomorrow but tomorrow takes a long time to come.
    And of course don't have bad stuff in the house cause if your anything like me you can hear it calling you and cant resist.
    Hope this helps. Hang in there, working out is half the battle! Way to go!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I was raised on crap as well (bologna on white bread with a twinkie and a coke for lunch). And as an adult I ate frozen burritos for breakfast, fast food for lunch, take out for dinner, krispy kremes and snickers for snack. And lots of beer. I understand where you're coming from.
    For ME it was a matter of a shift in paradigm. Learning something new.
    I did a two week TOTAL elimination of all added sugars, all refined carbs (white bread, tortillas, tortilla chips, all sweets, all soda, all candy all fast food).

For two weeks I ate lean meats, vegetables, dairy, nuts, seeds, legumes/beans.
    After the two weeks, I added back berries, and eventually some 100% whole grains (slowly).

After a month or so, no cravings for fast food. No cravings for candy, definitely no cravings for soda.

But I had to do the elimination 2 weeks with the GOAL of changing. Not with a 14 day quick fix in mind, knowing I'd go back to the daily McDs. I had to know I had change as the goal.

That was 14 years ago now. I love vegetables now. I love fresh foods. I dislike fast food. In fact, it makes me queasy.

Once in a while, I'll back slide and have too many nachos treats in a month, and then I get myself back on track. EASILY back on track. These days if I want to get back to basics, I do South Beach Phase 1, which wasn't out when I lost my weight, but some of the principles were being talked about, and I did use some of them. But yeah, now, once every couple of years, I'll d Phase 1, to re-focus.

For me? Best thing I ever did. I don't feel like I have to have junk food. I don't feel overwhelmed by cravings for sweets and fried stuff.

My tastes have changed. My palate has changed. And I've been at the weight I want for 14 years in March.

But, it took two weeks of total elimination, and another while of seriously limiting the refined carbs. Now I naturally limit them. It's second nature. I'll have treats, I'll have my beloved nachos. I'll eat pizza. But it doesn't make up the bulk of my diet. And I choose DIFFERENT pizzas.

Now this is just how I eat. And MAN do I eat well. Everything I put in my mouth is awesome!
    :p

Good luck finding what works for you. You can do it!
  • levitateme
    edited February 2015
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

This is true - but you can opt for a smaller serving size, right? Every so often I want ice cream and instead of buying an entire container, I go to McDonald's and get a plain sundae in a cup. I enjoy it just as much. I get mad when they tell me their ice cream machine is down. They have no idea how much I wanted it right then. LOL

I really wanted the pumpkin pie blizzard when it first came out, but the tiniest one was something ridiculous like 600 calories. I like talenti as an indulgence because i can weigh it. It is also amazing.

eta: but everything we are discussing pertains to willpower, which the OP thinks is not possible for her. Just my opinion, but when someone claims food "addiction" there's no real way to advise them other than "seek counseling."
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to your husband about this? A support system in your real life outside of the internet can be a big help.

I would also think about replacing the sweets in your life with healthier versions- frozen bananas dipped in chocolate are great, skinny cow, chocolate drizzled rice cakes, berries with whipped topping, etc etc. Also, figure out what triggers you to eat at night and try to replace those activities so you're not so focused on the food and cravings.