TDEE is a lot of calories...

Options
So after reading a couple different forums on this whole "Do I eat my exercise calories or not" question I have been researching it a little.

My MFP calorie goal is 1200 (which I rarely hit)

My IIFYM BMR is 1455

My TDEE is 2128

Taking 20% (recommended) away from my TDEE means I should be eating about 1700 calories a day to get to optimal weight loss (with exercising 5 days a week), is this correct?

That seems like a TON of calories considering I rarely hit 1200 - usually I'm around 1100.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are your height, weight, and activity level? Overall 1700 looks about right (mind you that means that you don't add your exercise calories back in because they are already included in the 1700) but having that info is necessary to be sure.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How do you determine your calories in? Use a food scale for everything solid or some form of guestimation/proportion estimation? If no food scale, then you're probably eating more than you think.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You have a hard time eating 1200 calories?
  • S_Evanson613
    S_Evanson613 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, 163lbs, and I exercise (lift and cardio) 5 days a week. I use a scale for all solids and measure all liquids. I am extremely diligent about logging everything I put into my mouth.

Currently using MFP I rarely hit my normal 1200 calories let alone the exercise cals - i dont even log all my exercise bc i dont eat those back anyway.
  • S_Evanson613
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I am generally around 1100 most days - there are a few exceptions when I will eat around 1250-1300 but those days are rare! I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day - I weigh/measure every single ingredient and log it all.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    So after reading a couple different forums on this whole "Do I eat my exercise calories or not" question I have been researching it a little.

My IIFYM BMR is 1455

My TDEE is 2128

Taking 20% (recommended) away from my TDEE means I should be eating about 1700 calories a day to get to optimal weight loss (with exercising 5 days a week), is this correct?

That seems like a TON of calories considering I rarely hit 1200 - usually I'm around 1100.

Eat foods that are just more calorie dense. Or if you're a salad person, add more olive oil. There are lots and lots of ways to hit calorie goals with calorie dense foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• S_Evanson613
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

My IIFYM BMR is 1455

My TDEE is 2128

Eat foods that are just more calorie dense. Or if you're a salad person, add more olive oil. There are lots and lots of ways to hit calorie goals with calorie dense foods.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you! I have been trying to eat more things like avacados and almonds which have higher calories, so we will see how that goes. I am a huge salad person, but dont like dressing or anything on them so i tend to eat them plain...guess ill start putting some olive oil on them.

THank you!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Make an effort to hit nutritional goals - which may mean a little larger portion of things here & there. Incorporate healthy fats - they tend to be calorie dense. And judge by how you feel. The 'danger' to eating too little is not that you won't lose weight. Its that you lose lean body mass, and you can under-nourish your body.

I'd asked about methods because if you 'think' you're eating 1100 but estimate, then you're probably eating higher. If you're meticulous then that doesn't apply. I won't go by the 'you must eat 1200 or else' but judge by how you feel AND make an effort to take care of your body's needs. If you have mental hangups about eating more, look for ways to work on that as eventually you'll NEED to eat more for maintenance.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I do the TDEE method and have had my best success since doing so (over 3 years ago). I eat 1800-2000 cals a day at this point, and have no problems reaching those numbers!

If you want more cals without having to eat a ton of food or just loading up on pizza, eat more calorie dense foods, as ninerbuff suggested. Avocados, nuts & nut butters, full fat dairy, use olive and coconut oils, etc, etc. Small portions of these food pack in a lot of good cals, getting you to goal easily.

Don't short change your body by eating too little and under fueling for those workouts.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Toss any low-fat/no fat foods and eat full fat. Your skin will thank you ;)
  • S_Evanson613
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I will start investing in some full-fat foods! I appreciate all your opinions!
  • jemhh
    Options
    I am 5'3, 163lbs, and I exercise (lift and cardio) 5 days a week. I use a scale for all solids and measure all liquids. I am extremely diligent about logging everything I put into my mouth.

Currently using MFP I rarely hit my normal 1200 calories let alone the exercise cals - i dont even log all my exercise bc i dont eat those back anyway.

I'm not sure how long you exercise each day but I guessed 45 minutes and multiplied that by 5 then divided by 60 for 3.75 hours. Using that, I looked at the calculator for 3 and 4 exercise sessions a week. I would guess your TDEE is somewhere between what you get for those numbers (2001-2064) so I'd probably just guess 2025, which means that a 20% deficit would be 1620.

Put some cheese and/or seeds on your salads.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Also adding fat through oil or cheese on salad will help your body be able to use the fat soluble nutrients.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Based on these numbers you're probably using "Moderate" for your activity level. Unfortunately, it's more likely to be light or sedentary.

Is it just best to use "sedentary" when calculating TDEE then? i lift 6 days a week & cardio 4x. But, cardo is mostly jogging on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

• jemhh
    Options
    If you are trying to figure out your TDEE, you need to consider your total activity level.

If you are trying to set your MFP goal, you choose sedentary if your life outside of exercise time is sedentary. That is because the MFP method has you adding back your exercise calories as you "earn" (i.e., burn) them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Based on these numbers you're probably using "Moderate" for your activity level. Unfortunately, it's more likely to be light or sedentary.

Is it just best to use "sedentary" when calculating TDEE then? i lift 6 days a week & cardio 4x. But, cardo is mostly jogging on the treadmill for 30 minutes.

no don't use sedentary because then you are calculating NEAT which MFP will do for you...

• GNeiswender
    GNeiswender Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You could also try increasing your protein intake. If you are lifting it will help rebuild your muscles.
  • S_Evanson613
    Options
    Protein is the one nutrient I go over...every single day! lol
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I can pretty much guarantee you are eating more than you say.

One doesn't get to where one needs to lose weight eating only 1100 and thinking 1700 is "a TON of calories", right?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I am generally around 1100 most days - there are a few exceptions when I will eat around 1250-1300 but those days are rare! I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day - I weigh/measure every single ingredient and log it all.

You're choosing this then, because two tablespoons of peanut butter is 190 calories (an easy fix). Toss an apple in with this and you have another 85-100. You didn't get to needing to lose by not eating enough. You get to keep what you accomplish here by learning sustainability. Do this in a healthy way, not by deprivation, because at some point thats going to come back to bite you. You've got this!