Losing weight from meds.......

Options
Okay guys so I need some help: Recently I've gained about 25 pounds from steroids and went up to 167 pounds.... I need to lose it but so far it's really slow. I'm trying to eat every three hours and cut out surgery drinks( which is hard for me) what else should I do.... I walk everyday and I try going to the gym and doing the elliptical.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a calorie deficit, you don't need to cut out sugary drinks (which is what I assume you mean instead of surgery drinks! :P) to lost weight. Exercise is also helpful but not necessary, and meal timing is irrelevant. Just make sure you're burning more than you're eating.

That said, I obviously don't know how your meds (and whatever condition requires the meds) will affect anything, so you'd probably do well to ask your doctor for specific advice.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    http://www.hss.edu/conditions_steroid-side-effects-how-to-reduce-corticosteroid-side-effects.asp#.VPDKe_nF_ps

C&P:

Steroids affect your metabolism and how your body deposits fat. This can increase your appetite, leading to weight gain, and in particular lead to extra deposits of fat in your abdomen.

Self-care tips:
    Watch your calories and exercise regularly to try to prevent excessive weight gain. But don't let weight gain damage your self-esteem. Know that the weight will come off - and your stomach return to its normal size - relatively easily in the six months to a year after you discontinue steroids.

Unfortunately, time and eating at a deficit is all that will help. Good Luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Eating every three hours is unnecessary, as caloric deficit is what will bring you the loss.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Healthy long term weight loss usually is slow. But there are benefits to that. Best of luck!