Outdoors workouts

Options
Hey Everyone! I'm needing some tips on working out outside. I'm trying to train for my first 5K in July and have realized running outside is a lot tougher than in a gym on a treadmill. Does anyone have any tips for that?

Also, since it's become so nice out lately, I would like to start doing some toning outside as well. I have a park that I drive to and walk/run on the paths. I'm a little shy/embarrassed about attempting tricep dips and other stuff, but I might just have to suck it up and do some random toning exercising during my run.

Does anyone have a routine like this? or do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

Running out side in the heat is tougher. Make sure you are hydrated properly and try to stay in the shade.

I workout often times now in my yard. Step ups on my porch wall, pull ups on a bar that held a swing, walking lunges etc. There is an older guy at the park that does all sorts of exercises throughout his walk. I'm also planning to do some dips, pull ups etc work on some of my park runs this summer. No need to be shy.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there is two types of running: running for speed, and running for distance. you should run 2-3 times a week. each week for your long run, you should be going a little bit further than last time. for your short speed run, you can do intervals or something.

if you are embarrassed about working out in the park, just go early, when no one else is there.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Squats..... crunches (check for bugs 1st) push ups of all varieties, and find a playground on your route for pull-ups and such
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you are walking you can do lunges as you walk.... I do that a lot especially on days where the heat is too exhausting for me to run more than a few miles. IT makes me feel better knowing i can do that if i cant run. the heat can be very exhausting outside during a jog. make sure to drink water, water and more water! As a new runner,i recommend you take your time with your speed, do not over exert yourself trying to run too fast too soon. make sure you are breathing in through your nose, out through your mouth. The distance is what you are aiming for, as you said - so make sure you are not running to fast to reach your 5K goal. Once you've adjusted to your distance you can start working on your speed, if you so desire. To each his own. do not compare how quickly you finish jogging to others. Running is an individual sport, so enjoy it.

do jumping jacks! I do those also. I also do planks in the middle of no where, who cares! Trust me, it's actually inspiring to see someone doing a plank or two right in the middle of their walk! What about sprints? you can do HIIT by running some sprints. Do 10-15 second sprints as hard as you can and then walk for 10-15 seconds. repeat as much as you can. In fact, this is also great for lung conditioning (and it burns fat).
    good luck!
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    While running, really focus on your breathing. A lot of people forget to do this, believe it or not. I do not like to run, but have completed the C25K already and ran inside and outside.
    As for the outside exercises, I don't think I would be brave enough to do that either. I usually do them at home. I guess before or after you run, just find a quiet spot and do some squats, crunches, planks, push ups etc. I like to be outside as well on beautiful days! Haven't been to the gym in a while because of it. The sun makes me happy! :smile:
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I second the breathing. My pattern is based on footfalls: in the first two times my right foot hits the ground, then out for the third. I don't always stay on track, but concentrating on that pattern and bringing it back to regular breathing helps me prevent cramps and distracts me a bit from tired legs.

Also, running in the early morning works for me because I hate running in the heat. I get to the park around 6:30-6:40 and am done half an hour later. The only people there are other exercisers.