Protein powders

Options
I'm curious at what protein powders people are using? I am currently using Advocare Meal Replacement shakes (mostly because I had a pantry full of them). I'd like to find a good protein powder instead of the meal replacement. I'd also like it to be as healthy as possible. I've tried a few. For example, the organic pea powder stuff. Yuk!

Replies

• af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like GNCs Gold Standard Cookies n Cream. I think I'm going to try the chocolate malt next.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I use isopure, I love it.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I use Cellucor protein powders mainly because they taste very good. Right now I'm using up the strawberry milkshake. A lot cheaper than Advocare as well.
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    scaryg53 wrote: »
    I use isopure, I love it.

I forgot about Isopure. I'm definitely going to look up all the values on that one!
  • kimberlydgarcia
    Options
    I might try the Isopure, although it seems to be high in sodium.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "healthy" exactly. Most protein powders I've ever come across are pretty much protein...that's pretty much it.

I use Optimum Nutrition Whey Isolate
  • kimberlydgarcia
    Options
    Maybe more natural. If you look at the ingredients you will find many additives. Color, flavor, fillers, preservatives... the list goes on & on.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Cellucor for me. Best flavors in my opinion.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Maybe more natural. If you look at the ingredients you will find many additives. Color, flavor, fillers, preservatives... the list goes on & on.

Yeah...it's a processed food.
  • kimberlydgarcia
    Options
    Yes, I know. That is why I am looking for my best option.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just get what tastes good. As long as you're not sucking down a dozen shakes a day, just use them when you're in a pinch and need protein. Don't sweat the "healthiest option."
  • Azexas
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »
    Honestly, just get what tastes good. As long as you're not sucking down a dozen shakes a day, just use them when you're in a pinch and need protein. Don't sweat the "healthiest option."

^^This- Just go with the flavor you think is the best.
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are more convenient than meats, fish and egg. Protein powders can be divided into two categories such as animal source Protein and vegetable source protein.
  • skinnynat1
    skinnynat1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    im doing shakeology
  • rmelton8488
    rmelton8488 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What would be the best protein powder for women trying to lose weight? I need to lose 150lbs and I would like something I could take with me as a breakfast option. My doctor and I agreed on low carb, high protein food options but I don't have the time in the mornings to cook breakfast.
  • Azexas
    Options
    What would be the best protein powder for women trying to lose weight? I need to lose 150lbs and I would like something I could take with me as a breakfast option. My doctor and I agreed on low carb, high protein food options but I don't have the time in the mornings to cook breakfast.

Protein powder isn't needed to lose weight. It helps you reach your protein macro if you Are having a hard time getting it from food. Weight loss is calories in vs calories out
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Protein powder isn't needed to lose weight. It helps you reach your protein macro if you Are having a hard time getting it from food. Weight loss is calories in vs calories out

^This. As stated, the only thing NEEDED to lose weight is a caloric deficit. Protein powder is just a convenience food to assist you if you need to use it to hit your daily protein goals. Whey is generally "king" compared to blends, vegan sources, etc... based on cost and most protein content for fewer calories. Whey comes in concentrate and isolate. The only difference between the two is concentrate has more milk sugar and a little more fat, thus having a little more caloric content. Isolate has less milk sugar (thus some people tolerate it better) and a little less fat, this being less calories and typically, a little more expensive. Protein powders marketed to females are typically more expensive as you pay for the pretty packaging (period).
  • elizarou
    elizarou Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use spiru-tein in the chocolate flavor. It's pretty low cal (90-100 calories) and has tonsss of nutrients with plenty of protein in it. I think it tastes pretty good especially after the gym or first thing in the morning.
  • mikeywolf19
    Options
    I just got eas 100% whey protein powder in chocolate.
  • fzermer
    fzermer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    EnergyFirst