Skinny fat and Lean Bulk

Options
Can someone explain these to me? I have seen them in a few posts. I have a feeling I fall under the skinny fat. I want to cut my body fat. Right now I am lifting heavy and not doing as much cardio as before. Watching calories but trying to get 1700-1900. Carbs are 120-150, protein is at least 140g but usually go above.
Also, the lean bulk, is that for trying to put on little fat while gaining muscle? How would one do a lean bulk?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is a term used to describe being in a normal weight range but having a high (or higher than expected) bf%. Many people on this site consider it a derogatory term. Use sparingly.

Lean bulk refers to putting on weight while optimizing the ratio of muscle and fat gained (the best possible ratio is about 50/50). Lean bulks are obtained by eating at a moderate surplus and using a progressive resistance training program.

And I believe you've already gotten pretty good advice on how to do a lean bulk on your previous thread in the bulking section.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat is being at a healthy weight, but a higher % of body fat than someone with similar stats would be...think of someone who is small in appearance, but everything is just squishy...little to no muscle and excessive body fat for their size.

A lean bulk is eating at a very modest surplus so that weight goes on slowly, thus optimizing the ratio of muscle and fat gain which ideally would be about 1:1. Note that your training protocol will play a big role here as well...if your lifting protocol is lame, so will be your gains.
  • surfergal9988
    surfergal9988 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im right in your boat. I'm low weight, but i need to tone up alot.
    Is their a diet you followed you liked, that was for toning up as opposed to weight loss?
    Or any videos you do that you like?
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Is their a diet you followed you liked, that was for toning up as opposed to weight loss?

I just lift heavy and have cut down on running.

MrM27 wrote: »
    Honest question, how many different type of threads like this are you going to create before you start following the advice we've given you? I thought maybe like 2 weeks ago you were trying to bulk bit couldn't break the cutting mentality.

I have met people at my gym who did not eat extra calories and just lifted heavy. They lost weight and are now more toned. This post was just a question. I'm not sure on the macros to follow for a lean bulk. It makes me wonder if someone's fat intake is at play.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That's an awful lot of protein for someone your size. Too much protein can put stress on your organs in the long term.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Have also increased my calories which I dont always meet but get pretty close and eat extra on the weekends sometimes to help with it since I have one cheat meal a week.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Well I am going to follow their advice which is close to the advice my trainer gave me and will try it out. I am already seeing more toned looks. Different things work for different people.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    That's an awful lot of protein for someone your size. Too much protein can put stress on your organs in the long term.

No, it's not a lot of protein, especially for someone his size. Too much protein is only an issue as far as kidney issues goes is related to people that already have kidney problems or are predisposed to it
    krknobbe10 wrote: »

Honest question, how many different type of threads like this are you going to create before you start following the advice we've given you? I thought maybe like 2 weeks ago you were trying to bulk bit couldn't break the cutting mentality.

I have met people at my gym who did not eat extra calories and just lifted heavy. They lost weight and are now more toned. This post was just a question. I'm not sure on the macros to follow for a lean bulk. It makes me wonder if someone's fat intake is at play.

No offense, and I don't know those people in your gym but I can guarantee you their eating, training and mentality is quite different than yours. If you really want advice on lean bulking then go over to the weight gain section and we will give you more advife, again.
    Have also increased my calories which I dont always meet but get pretty close and eat extra on the weekends sometimes to help with it since I have one cheat meal a week.

Sorry but running a lean bulk does not work like that.
    So how does a lean bulk work? Slightly increasing calories with lifting heavy and cutting cardio? What about the macros?
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2015
    Options

No, it's not a lot of protein, especially for someone his size. Too much protein is only an issue as far as kidney issues goes is related to people that already have kidney problems or are predisposed to it

No offense, and I don't know those people in your gym but I can guarantee you their eating, training and mentality is quite different than yours. If you really want advice on lean bulking then go over to the weight gain section and we will give you more advife, again.

Sorry but running a lean bulk does not work like that.
    So how does a lean bulk work? Slightly increasing calories with lifting heavy and cutting cardio? What about the macros?

You have a maintenance level of calories...you eat about 250 - 300 calories more than that consistently while you engage is a well designed lifting program. You can cut cardio or not cut cardio...that has nothing to do with it other than cardio is going to increase your calorie requirements and thus is going to increase the amount you have to eat. You have to eat a surplus consistently.

Having a "cheat" meal or whatever is diet talk...you don't save up calories for later when you're doing a bulk. Think about it logically...you're putting in the work in the weight room today...when do you think your body needs that energy? Not tomorrow or next weekend, I can tell you that...you put in the work today and you eat today.

I think you've been told this before, but you're not really mentally in a place to do a bulk I don't think. I think maybe you should just try to get out of the diet mentality and eat maintenance and lift...you have a lot of things you need to straighten out in your head before you bulk. A bulk can be a real mind *kitten* even when you're ready for it...if you're not mentally ready don't do it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I really feel like you have been given so much, and very good advice, on all of your other threads that touch on the same subject.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    Well I am going to follow their advice which is close to the advice my trainer gave me and will try it out. I am already seeing more toned looks. Different things work for different people.

No, caloric deficit and caloric surplus works the same for everyone. Did you think to ask them these questions you are asking here?

I did ask them about their macros and calories. I have gotten the same answer that they eat about 1700 and eat back some of their exercise and don't really watch their macros. One person is still trying to lose 10lbs so her calories are probably set lower.

I am eating more and trying to eat back my exercise calories but that doesn't always happen. I leave myself some extra calories at the end of the day just for some wiggle room in case I missed something or miscalculated something.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Change happens slowly. My advice is to pick a plan and stick to it religiously for 90 days minimum. In that 90 days focus on hitting your macros, calories and exercise every day. don't look at forums, videos, other diet plans, or advice from other gym members during this 90 days. Stick to the plan you decided on. after 90 days, if you don't see the results you were hoping for, then make only one or two tweaks to your existing plan and do it again for another 90 days.

I suggest this diet plan to start:

1. Eat 100-200 calories above your maintainence
    2. eat 1 gram of protein per pound of your IDEAL weight (the weight you want to weigh long term)
    3. remove all refined carbs from your diet (bread, pasta, cake etc)
    4. eat more carbs on the days you lift weights (brown rice, oats, fruit etc)
    5. eat carbs from only vegetable sources on the days you don't work out

And this workout plan:

1. full body work out 2-3 times a week including: squats, deadlifts, pullups, pushups, military press. Make sure you get 1 day of rest from resistance training between workouts
    2. don't do isolation exersices unless you're already pretty lean and want to improve a certain area of your body
    3. Do HIIT cardio, Tabata training or Fartlek training 1-2 times a week: On the intervals you need to do maximum effort (on a scale of 1 to 10 you need to be at an 11 during the interval). don't do more than 20 minute sessions.
    4. don't do any long moderate pace cardio sessions except normal walking.
    5. go for a 30 minute walk at least on your rest days.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I am eating more and trying to eat back my exercise calories but that doesn't always happen. I leave myself some extra calories at the end of the day just for some wiggle room in case I missed something or miscalculated something.

Another example of "dieter" mentality there....you do that when you're trying to cut...when you're trying to bulk you would err on the side of more calories to be safe.
  • krknobbe10
    Options
    So I know to increase my calories to a certain number but what numbers would i use for macros? 40%c/ 30% Fat/30% Protein?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    So I know to increase my calories to a certain number but what numbers would i use for macros? 40%c/ 30% Fat/30% Protein?

Hit your protein every day ( 1 gram per pound of ideal body weight) and eat vegetables with every meal. Eat clean and the other macros will just fall into place. Stop worrying about it so much if you're a beginner.