Deadlifts - Sumo or conventional

Options
What are the pros and cons of each? I tried sumo last night for the first time. My feeling is, I can probably jump up about 50 lbs sumo style. I am worried that if I did that, I'd be at about 300 lbs, and I am not sure about my knees.

Since I am so short ( 5' 2"), and I have long arms, sumo style I only have to move the bar about 8 inches. I am working toward my first WADBL competition next August.

Any thoughts from more experienced pullers are appreciated!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sumo=more stress on quads, less stress on posterior chain.

If powerlifting is your goal, use whatever grip you can move more weight with
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Probably a place for both of them in your program.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I usually start at a new weight with sumo DL, and then transition onto normal DL. It's a good way for me to approach a new load without failing, which is nice for confidence.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I don't like sumo, so I have nothing good to say about it.

My personal preference is for conventional deadlifts.
  • WeaponXI
    WeaponXI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sumo style deadlifting is usually easier for people with shorter arms, and conventional for people with longer arms. Sumo style also requires more hip flexibility, and does put more strain on the knees. However, you shouldn't feel like you have to do one style, because of your body type and not the other, it does boil down to preference, so try them both for a few weeks and incorporate either, or even both into your routine.
    Even though my body type should do better with sumo style, I prefer conventional. I don't like the strain I feel in my knee, especially since my knee is still messed up from my high school football days.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    They have their own benefits and what not but I'm going to say a lot of it has to do with your build. The Sumo might be the better style for you. If you like it and it works for you then do it.
  • Steven_626
    Steven_626 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'd say to do both. I'd recommend doing conventionals and get a feel for the overall technique and form of it and once you get that down mix it up with some sumos.

I'm about the same height and have done conventional deadlifts for years and just hit a 405 PR recently and decided to mixed it up and started doing sumos.

Just try out both and keep going with whatever you're more comfortable with.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. Think I will mix it up for a while and see what works. Last night was only 50% max so it felt light anyway. I will have to see what happens when we ramp up the weight again in a month.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I personally feel more stress in my knee doing conventional. I'm strongest and have the best form in modified sumo, so that's what I do unless my programming specifically calls for conventional or full sumo.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Have you tried less weight but be standing up on a bench for more distance. I find that mixing up the exercises a little forces the body to work harder than usual. In short, it makes for greater gains.
  • dbmata
    Options
    on a bench.

Did I read that right? Why not just recommend deadlifting while doing a crane stance on a piling, and wearing a bandana over your eyes.
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'll do conventional on back day, and sumo on leg day.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    neaneacc wrote: »
    Have you tried less weight but be standing up on a bench for more distance. I find that mixing up the exercises a little forces the body to work harder than usual. In short, it makes for greater gains.

How does this even work?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

No.

F No.

I don't like sumo deadlifts, as it always feels like I'm going to tear my groin - even with just 135 lb on the bar.
  • dbmata
    Options

How does this even work?

Kinda like this.
    (Go to 3:50)
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options

WTF?!? That's a good way to look like an idiot and get hurt in the meantime.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm built for conventional but prefer modified sumo. The downside is the strain on the knees. However, conventional always kills my back.

Try both and see what works best for you; what you're more comfortable with.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Huh? If you mean deficit deadlifts there are much safer ways of doing them.

OP: Play with them and see what works better for you as you increase your weights. I simply cannot sumo, so I do conventional. My numbers are just fine because that's how my mechanics work best.
  • dbmata
    Options
    body mechanics are funny, as usmcp mentions, in sumo, I can barely pull 72% of my 1RM, and when I do it, the pain in my hips is truly amazing.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    body mechanics are funny, as usmcp mentions, in sumo, I can barely pull 72% of my 1RM, and when I do it, the pain in my hips is truly amazing.

I have weak hip flexors and sumo is just awkward (I took a video once for laughs).

I think there is a calculator out there that you input your measurements and it tells you if you are built for sumo or conventional.