fat burning with weights

2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Low weights and more reps.... is Correct!!!:smile: You don't want to injure yourself... so always "build up" to the heavier weights.:wink: You want to train your muscles not "strain" your muscles.:wink: less weights and more reps is nearly equivalent to lifting heavy weights with less reps (without the risk of injury from over doing it). Also, remember to use the proper technique when lifting....:happy: Have Fun!:glasses:

Wow, this is so wrong. Yes if you are new to strength training start with lower weight, but then quickly progress to heavier once you have the form down.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    It's only a deficit of 1500 calories and I'm making sure that my protein intake is high. I have 30% body fat at the moment so I think my body can take it

With only 50 lbs to lose your goal weight loss per week should be in the 1 to 1.5lb/week range, anymore and you risk a large % of your loss coming from lean muscle
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Low weights and more reps.... is Correct!!!:smile: You don't want to injure yourself... so always "build up" to the heavier weights.:wink: You want to train your muscles not "strain" your muscles.:wink: less weights and more reps is nearly equivalent to lifting heavy weights with less reps (without the risk of injury from over doing it). Also, remember to use the proper technique when lifting....:happy: Have Fun!:glasses:
    Um, no. Nowhere is this correct, other than accessory endurance work. You will not injure yourself doing low reps and heavy weights, as long as you use proper form and common sense about weight selection and progression (in other words, follow a set program.) Lifting low weights and high reps does not give anywhere near the same kind of physical adaptations for strength or CNS adaptation. Plus you actually are more likely to injure yourself doing tons of reps, as the constant repetition can lead to stress injuries, and form suffers as you fatigue.

Seriously, that was terrible advice.
  • john0804
    john0804 Posts: 31
    So I should up it to around 2000-2500 a day? Approximately because like I say I'm not looking to lose it fast I'm looking to lose it smart.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member

Wow, this is so wrong. Yes if you are new to strength training start with lower weight, but then quickly progress to heavier once you have the form down.

^ what he said.
    To the OP - you stated you know you can do more weight. You know yourself better than any of us. Do more weight. If you can do 8 reps on that heavier weight, go for it. Less reps, MORE weight!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Check out Stronglifts, Wendler, and Starting Strength. Figure out which you'd like to try and go for it. And say no to the low weight and high reps. No no no.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    I would say to do the way you prefer: low weight/high reps or high weight/low reps.

If your using the higher weights and want to feel like you're doing more to burn fat, between sets drop down and do some push ups, jumping jacks, burpees, or high knees to get your heart rate up before moving on to your next weight lifting set.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    I would say to do the way you prefer: low weight/high reps or high weight/low reps.

If your using the higher weights and want to feel like you're doing more to burn fat, between sets drop down and do some push ups, jumping jacks, burpees, or high knees to get your heart rate up before moving on to your next weight lifting set.
    If you can do burpees between sets, then you aren't lifting heavy enough. The point of "between sets" is to rest and recover in order to be able to complete the next set. Doing calisthenics between sets pretty much kills that. Either lift heavy, OR do calisthenics. Trying to do both at the same time is begging for an injury, or at least for failed progress.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    So I should up it to around 2000-2500 a day? Approximately because like I say I'm not looking to lose it fast I'm looking to lose it smart.

Check out www.iifym.com Go to the TDEE calculator. I am guessing you'll be around 1800 a day.
  • john0804
    Thank you, this has answered a question and given me more :) and life is dull without questions
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • john0804
    My tdee is 2084 2605-20%
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Lots of people say low reps/heavy weight. I'm guessing low reps is 8-10 reps, but how would you figure out if the weight your lifting is heavy enough? How do you find the right weight without going to low or hurting yourself?

no, when i say low reps/heavy weight, i mean 3-6 reps. Right now, i'm lifting to wear i'm not entirely sure if i will be able to complete my 5th rep. Obviously you don't start out like that, but you work up to it. 8-12 is for hypertrophy
  • redwolf6
    redwolf6 Posts: 17 Member
    Bump