Is my diet and fitness routine good for losing weight?

Options

Replies

• jenniator
    jenniator Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I work out 40 minutes when I go to the gym - 20 mins strength training and 20 mins cardio alternating machines so I'm not doing eliptical every day or bike every day, etc.

The problem for me about alternating machines is finding one I actually like. I don't really like any machines besides the Elliptical trainer. But right now it's only my 4th day at the gym, so I'm really just getting use to the intense cardio and I've been pretty sore every day.
  • nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That's good! Do something you can stick with... that's the most important part. Like I said, I used to just focus on cardio so I totally understand where you're coming from. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns at a resting state. Toning, comes from weight training. Start slow but definitely include it in your work outs! You'll notice your body getting nice and firm when you add that into your routine. If you have any friends who can show you some weight training, that would help. Or trainers at the gym. Just ask! People are usually more than happy to give you advice on how to use something you've never used. I used to be scared of the squat rack until my friend pushed me in there. He taught me alot about strength training and now I love it! Get out of your comfort zone and you'll see some new changes :)
  • jenniator
    Options
    I think that whatever keeps you moving is what you should do. If you like the elliptical stick with it until you get bored. Or you could add other things to it and switch it up from time to time. One hour is a good amount of time. I once had a trainer who told me to lift three days per week, and on those days to reduce my elliptical time to 30 minutes and wait until after I had lifted weights. You'll find a wide range of opinions, but just keep moving, and pay attention to your results along the way and adjust as needed.

Thank you! The elliptical trainer does inspire me to go to the gym 5 days a week and work out, so it's something I want to stick with. In the past, I always gave up since I didn't like the machines. I'm glad one hour is a good amount of time. So far this week I've lifted 4 days for about 10-20 minutes which I think is a good start! I want to get up to 30 minutes. I wonder if 5 days a week is too much for weight lifting or if it has to be every other day. I have noticed positive results, so I'm really happy.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »
    I think that whatever keeps you moving is what you should do. If you like the elliptical stick with it until you get bored. Or you could add other things to it and switch it up from time to time. One hour is a good amount of time. I once had a trainer who told me to lift three days per week, and on those days to reduce my elliptical time to 30 minutes and wait until after I had lifted weights. You'll find a wide range of opinions, but just keep moving, and pay attention to your results along the way and adjust as needed.

Thank you! The elliptical trainer does inspire me to go to the gym 5 days a week and work out, so it's something I want to stick with. In the past, I always gave up since I didn't like the machines. I'm glad one hour is a good amount of time. So far this week I've lifted 4 days for about 10-20 minutes which I think is a good start! I want to get up to 30 minutes. I wonder if 5 days a week is too much for weight lifting or if it has to be every other day. I have noticed positive results, so I'm really happy.

Are you following a lifting program?

• jenniator
    Options
    You can use the elliptical, just throw in some sprints every few minutes...kick the intensity up and raise the resistance. In all honesty, 30 mins is plenty.
    Agree that you should definitely throw in some weight training.
    Eating is fine. Time of day is not a problem, I eat most of my calories after 6pm...that is when I am hungry and have always been a midnight snacker. So long as you meet your target, it is all good.
    Congrats and well done

I use the aerobic and fat burning program, so it does have a lot of intervals which is good. I have been weight training 4 days for about 10-20 minutes. I do want to work up to 30 minutes, but I don't want to do to much at once and over do it. I'm glad the eating is fine. It's funny I always eat 80% of my calories after 6 PM too since if I am always starving at night regardless of what I eat during the day and I will get really hungry a few hours later if I eat a smaller meal.
  • jenniator
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I would work smarter, not harder. Two hours of cardio every day is not necessary.

I lift 4-5 days a week and run 1-2 days a week. Nothing takes me more than an hour, unless it's a long run.

I'm happy to hear 1 hour is plenty enough. I want to get my lifting up to 30 minutes and maybe 3-5 times a week. :)
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound mean, but give some other stuff a try. You'd be surprised with some of the stuff you don't like.

I'm sure any gym would have someone willing to help you out.
  • jenniator
    Options

[/quote]

To be honest, no I'm not. I work out all of my muscle groups since I use different machines. I just go to a machine and do 15-30 reps and move on to another one. I'm not sure if that's fine or if I need to follow a specific plan.
  • jenniator
    Options
    nstock wrote: »
    That's good! Do something you can stick with... that's the most important part. Like I said, I used to just focus on cardio so I totally understand where you're coming from. The more muscle you have, the more calories your body burns at a resting state. Toning, comes from weight training. Start slow but definitely include it in your work outs! You'll notice your body getting nice and firm when you add that into your routine. If you have any friends who can show you some weight training, that would help. Or trainers at the gym. Just ask! People are usually more than happy to give you advice on how to use something you've never used. I used to be scared of the squat rack until my friend pushed me in there. He taught me alot about strength training and now I love it! Get out of your comfort zone and you'll see some new changes :)

Thank you. It is important to find something I will stick with and enjoy. I'm really focusing on cardio right now since I have a lot of weight to loss and it gives me a little extra amount of calories to eat. I heard that strength training will help you burn calories even when your resting and it will help with loose skin, so those are the reasons I'm starting to do a little strength training and work up to it. I have been starting slow and trying not to over do it since I'm a beginner. I really do hope my muscles get firmer since there so saggy and just hang there. I have asked trainers for advice and they are helpful. I also watch other people use the machine so I know how too. I am getting out of my comfort zone on a lot of things and find some new things I actually enjoy!
  • jenniator
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »
    I don't want to sound mean, but give some other stuff a try. You'd be surprised with some of the stuff you don't like.

I'm sure any gym would have someone willing to help you out.

You don't sound mean at all! I've actually tried the Treadmill, Stair Stepper, Rower, Bike, and Elliptical Trainer. I didn't care for any of them really beside the Elliptical Trainer. It's funny because I use to be afraid of the Elliptical Trainer since I heard it was so difficult and I saved it for last since I was so nervous about it ha ha. Funny since now I love it.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I would suggest more strength training, or at least switch up your cardio too. People have different opinions on the elliptical, this is my own personal opinion... I think it's the least effective cardio work out. Think about it, could you run for one hour straight? Probably not. Try the stairmaster... that is a SUPER tough cardio work out. You'll probably start off for only 5 minutes, but you could work your way up. Congrats on the loss! Keep it up, you're obviously doing something right :) remember: it's 70% diet, 30% exercise. But, if you do want to tone, strength training is where it's at! good luck!! :)

This is the 4th day I've used the elliptical Trainer, so it hasn't been that long. Is it really not a effective cardio? I've always heard it was one of the most effective types of cardio. That is a shame since it's my favorite machine and I really enjoy it. I have never really been a runner, so I don't care much for the treadmill. I've never cared much for the treadmill, stair climber, or rower. The stairmaster really is a super tough cardio! I can't even last 5 minutes ha ha. But after 1 hour on the elliptical, I am totally out of breath and exhausted. Thank you! I am really proud of my progress and have really enjoyed my time at the gym. I much rather do one hour of cardio in a nice cool environment rather than walk for 2 hours and still burn less calories! I know diet is so important, but I didn't realize it was 70%! I must be doing well since I am losing weight. I also like working out since it has so many benefits. The reason I want to tone up a bit is because I'm worried about loose skin and I've heard strength training helps with that. How many minutes would you recommend I strength train for?

The eliptical is one of the lowest impact cardio workouts. When I first started out (in 2012) I thought the same as you then I started training to run and I thought it wouldn't be so bad because I could easily do like 90 minutes on an eliptical. I was dead wrong. Running was tough and it didn't help me at all. Fast forward 4 months and I love running.

The way I look at it is that if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.

And as someone previously mentioned - the more muscle mass or LBM you have, the more calories you will use up and burn in a day. Muscles burn more at rest. However it really depends on your goal. I spent a lot of last year doing the eliptical and lifting (I lifted heavy using the Strong Lifts program) but I always wanted to try running so in October, I said I'm going to dedicate the rest of this year to running and just see what happens. Voila - it's now almost March, I'm running my first official 5K in April and I'm pretty sure I've got the running bug lol. I still lift on off running days, but I've researched it so not to interfere with my running goals because those are priorities to me, right now. It's totally up to you and what you want. Once you figure out your goals, you can very easily figure out the workout plan that goes with them.

About the loose skin - how much weight do you ideally want to lose? And how fast do you plan on doing it. I've lost a bit over 80 lbs since 2012. I started at 340 and I'm closing in on 250. I have lost it slow but haven't gained it back and I have very little loose skin. My point here is that you get loose skin when you have a lot to lose and/or you do it very, very quickly. Your skin is naturally elastic (which it loses as you get older, but at 22 no issues) and if you lose your weight gradually, your skin will shrink back up as you go.

When it comes to lifting, it's not always about how many minutes - it's about the quality of your workout. You could squat for an hour, but if you do it wrong you don't get much out of it other than potentially an injury and maybe a case of the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). You want to make sure you're form is right and you're lifting for the progress you want to see.

Good luck! Feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions :)
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You don't sound mean at all! I've actually tried the Treadmill, Stair Stepper, Rower, Bike, and Elliptical Trainer. I didn't care for any of them really beside the Elliptical Trainer. It's funny because I use to be afraid of the Elliptical Trainer since I heard it was so difficult and I saved it for last since I was so nervous about it ha ha. Funny since now I love it.

The stepper kicks my butt every time. I hate it, but love the results.

• nstock
    nstock Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Which gym do you go to? Maybe try doing some classes. Goodlife has a Body Pump class, which I strongly suggest! It's super challenging, and incorporates strength training.

One thing to note about the elliptical... you said you like it cuz of all the calories it burns. Be careful with that. Those calorie readers aren't the most accurate things in the world... just an FYI!
  • bring444
    bring444 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with what some have said already, and add more strength training, along with doing sprint intervals. You don't burn as many calories during shorter, higher intensity workouts, but you build more muscle which will burn more fat for the rest of the day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would say ..

enter your stats into MFP and set it for one pound or half pound per week loss and eat to that number.
    get a food scale and weigh all solid foods and as many liquids as you can
    make sure that you log/measure/weigh everything that you eat
    go into MFP custom setting and set your macro goals to 35% protein/35% carbs/30% fats.
    make sure that you hit your calorie/micro/macro targets for the day, but don't get sucked into the "good" and "bad" food concept. Hit your goals and you can add in someof the foods you like, like pizza, ice cream, cookies, etc.
    I would also suggest strength training..since you just joined a gym do not be afraid of the weight room, I repeat do not be afraid of the weight room and free weights. I would suggest looking into a program like strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, etc.
    repeat until you get desired goals....
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    To be honest, no I'm not. I work out all of my muscle groups since I use different machines. I just go to a machine and do 15-30 reps and move on to another one. I'm not sure if that's fine or if I need to follow a specific plan.

I would look into a beginner lifting program. It will take a lot of the guess work out of the equation.

Don't look at exercise as a timed event. You can get a lot out of working out for 45-60 minutes by doing the right things.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Which gym do you go to? Maybe try doing some classes. Goodlife has a Body Pump class, which I strongly suggest! It's super challenging, and incorporates strength training.

One thing to note about the elliptical... you said you like it cuz of all the calories it burns. Be careful with that. Those calorie readers aren't the most accurate things in the world... just an FYI!

Goodlife also has spin classes which are awesome! You'll only get out of them what you put into them, but if you put a good effort into them and really be there, they'll kick your *kitten* and you'll feel great. I don't like the RPM classes, I prefer All Terrain and Road Drills, but I have friends who like all three; personal preference I guess.

Spin classes are very low impact cardio too, if that's what you're looking for. And PS - they do not make your legs huge in any way. I have had women say they want to come to spin with me but they don't want huge legs. Biggest BS ever!! If you want big legs, there's other ways to get it. I know some articles have said it happens but I do not have any noticeable changes in my leg measurements at all! They're going down at relatively the same rate as my arms and waist although I do have big legs, a lot of women do . . .
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    your openness to accept solid advice will ensure your success. Not everyone at the gym knows everything. This is a good place to learn because the majority of the people here wanted to lose weight and get fit. A well rounded approach works best, and many of us shared the same struggles and had the same questions.
    No sense re-inventing the wheel, learn from others......but at the same time you have to find what works for you. I do a lot of things my way because I hate a particular machine, or have different goals. I have no problem eating properly when I am motivated, and love exercise.......but it sure is easy to swing the pendulum too far and lose progress by being inefficient or wasting time.
    It isn't rocket science but does require learning..
    continued success...good luck
  • jenniator
    Options
    The eliptical is one of the lowest impact cardio workouts. When I first started out (in 2012) I thought the same as you then I started training to run and I thought it wouldn't be so bad because I could easily do like 90 minutes on an eliptical. I was dead wrong. Running was tough and it didn't help me at all. Fast forward 4 months and I love running.

The way I look at it is that if it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.

About the loose skin - how much weight do you ideally want to lose? And how fast do you plan on doing it. I've lost a bit over 80 lbs since 2012. I started at 340 and I'm closing in on 250. I have lost it slow but haven't gained it back and I have very little loose skin. My point here is that you get loose skin when you have a lot to lose and/or you do it very, very quickly. Your skin is naturally elastic (which it loses as you get older, but at 22 no issues) and if you lose your weight gradually, your skin will shrink back up as you go.

When it comes to lifting, it's not always about how many minutes - it's about the quality of your workout. You could squat for an hour, but if you do it wrong you don't get much out of it other than potentially an injury and maybe a case of the DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). You want to make sure you're form is right and you're lifting for the progress you want to see.

Good luck! Feel free to reach out if you ever have any questions :) [/quote]

I really love the elliptical since it's so low impact and it burns a decent amount of calories. Running really is tough. I use to jog a few months back, but I never enjoyed it and I always dreaded going out to jog every morning. I did stick with jogging for 2 months, but I could just never get into it. But that's just me.

On believe me, the elliptical challenges me to death ha ha! I'm literally drenched in sweat, sore, and out of breath when I'm done.

I started at 240 lbs and right now I'm at 200 lbs. My ultimate goal is to get to around 130 lbs. So counting the weight I started at, I need to lose 110 in total. I've heard people that need to lose over 100 pounds will get loose skin issues. I'm really happy to hear that you haven't had any issues with loose skin and congrats on the extreme amount of weight loss! That really is amazing. I have been losing weight normally, so that's not a issue.

Thank you! I always make sure to strength train properly and make sure I am doing it right so I am getting the correct benefits.
  • jenniator
    Options
    joneallen wrote: »

The stepper kicks my butt every time. I hate it, but love the results.

The stepper really does kick your butt! I can't even last 5 minutes on it.