Can't taste food

Options
I've been sick for the last couple weeks, but this week it seems to have moved into my sinuses, and since then I haven't been able to taste food at all. Can't even taste mint listerine! This is so frustrating, and I find that I'm mentally hungry for more food just so that I can experience some sort of flavour, but it never works.

I guess there really isn't anything that can be done except to give it time, and not give in to this no-flavour trigger, but it's so sad and frustrating!

Replies

• wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Try spicy foods. This will wake your sinuses up for sure and maybe help you breathe a little.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I did :( I love curry. Also tried onion and garlic soup. Nada!
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    And I've been eating nachos with medium salsa, can't taste the heat, or the salt (really missing the taste of salt right now!!)
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Ever try horse radish and wasabi? Gotta go big! :D Good luck and feel better!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - had a cold, but the sinus stuff won't go away.

I don't think there's much you can do, besides wait it out. I miss flavor.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    Ever try horse radish and wasabi? Gotta go big! :D Good luck and feel better!

Oh man, now would totally be the perfect time to try wasabi! I actually hate it lol, but if I can't taste it.... You are brilliant!
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - had a cold, but the sinus stuff won't go away.

I don't think there's much you can do, besides wait it out. I miss flavor.

I'm sorry you are going through the same thing, but it makes me feel a little better to know that I'm not alone :)
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Neti pot?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    At least now you can take those herbal remedies that make you get well but taste like a-s-s. echinacea tea. yuck. It does work, though.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i have a head cold im getting over.

benadryl - the antihistamines help clear stuff up - i use at bedtime cause, hello... benadryl LOL

BOILING HOT water - stick your face in the steam - helps clear it up. id make my tea and cup my hand over my nose and cup and enjoy the few minutes of 'being able to breathe normally'

some people swear by nettipots -basically squirting salt water through your nose. it does work, if you can tolerate it LOL. i save that for REALLY REALLY bad colds lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Grated horse radish?
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    I don't know if I can get over the idea of a neti pot... my MIL uses them and she explained it to me, but I don't think I could do it!

Omg, I've spent so much on OTC meds these last 3 weeks. I'm sure I'm doing damage to my liver by taking them, but my doc can't see me until April, and I don't want to go to a clinic because I'll probably just end up getting sick with something else!

Lol, I've never wanted to exercise so bad for so long!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    i have a head cold im getting over.

benadryl - the antihistamines help clear stuff up - i use at bedtime cause, hello... benadryl LOL

BOILING HOT water - stick your face in the steam - helps clear it up. id make my tea and cup my hand over my nose and cup and enjoy the few minutes of 'being able to breathe normally'

some people swear by nettipots -basically squirting salt water through your nose. it does work, if you can tolerate it LOL. i save that for REALLY REALLY bad colds lol

Eek no it's really not supposed to be for when you're stuffed in the nose, it's just for the sinuses so there should be no squirting of any kind!! There should only be nice, gentle flow :)

@Lifting4Lis - I once sniffed a blender full of grated horseradish and it cleared my whole brain.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    @Lifting4Lis - I once sniffed a blender full of grated horseradish and it cleared my whole brain.

snort!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I second the neti pot. I actually like the Sinus rinse better though, as it uses pressure (that's the one you squirt water into your nose though). Also those nose strips can really help too. And apparently exercise can help as well.

For what it's worth, I used to have my nose completely clogged for weeks every Winter, so I know the feeling. I eventually ended up getting nose surgery 3 years ago and it's the best thing I've ever done, I haven't got my nose completely clogged once since.

Other than that, try to use it to your advantage... if you're not going to taste the food anyway, just eat 'healthier', more filling foods.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I wish I couldn't taste food.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself temporarily blessed and eat all the healthy foods you think taste bad :D
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »

LOL, me too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    rbfdac wrote: »

LOL, me too.

Me three. Although it does suck when it happens, but it's a bit a blessing in disguise... why waste calories on something you can't taste anyway? Best time to make the most of your calories.
  • KrunchyMama
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Consider yourself temporarily blessed and eat all the healthy foods you think taste bad :D

Lol! I actually really like healthy foods! I even tried some "Worlds Hottest F'n Wing Sauce". I could feel the heat on my chapped lips and tongue, but no flavour at all. I told a friend to bring me some wasabi tomorrow if he comes to visit, it's the only food I can't stand.

Actually went over on my calories, hoping that comfort food (nachos) would help. It didn't. Back to the healthy stuff I guess. At least I get to focus a bit more on textures, although my brain wants me to eat more calories because I'm sad about still being sick. Not giving in to that trigger. I hit 'maintenance' calorie levels tonight, so I'm cut off from food now until tomorrow :)