Fitness Tracker

Options
Happy Friday!
I am wanting to buy a fitness tracker. I mainly want one that can track how far I run and extra things (if able). I do not have a smart phone, although I do have an iPad if I need an app. I thought about the Nike+ Sensor that I can put with my shoes- but do I need to run with Wifi or anyhing to allow it to sync? I also heard great things about FitBit and Jawbone Up, do those just track your steps or distance as well? I do other workouts besides running. Any suggestions? I also do not want to pay "X" amount of dollars each month to have an account, I have had one of the heart rate monitors but had to pay $20 a month for the computer system plus $100+ for the actual device- was not very happy.
If anyone could point me in any direction of what would be appropriate to purchase let me know :) thanks a bunch in advance

Replies

• cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I use a FitBit, and while it doesn't actually track distance, it is fairly accurate if you know your stride length. You can enter your walking and/or running stride lengths into your profile and it will determine your distance based on steps recorded and stride length entered.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit One. I like that it is clipped out of sight on my body and does not log hand gestures and typing as activity. It works great as a step counter and activity tracker, but I don't think it calculates distance well for running. There are newer models with GPS that might be better for that.

To track my running, I use the Garmin Forerunner 15. This model is also an activity tracker. However, I only use it for running.
  • SamanthaRMichel
    SamanthaRMichel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    cmmull67 wrote: »
    I use a FitBit, and while it doesn't actually track distance, it is fairly accurate if you know your stride length. You can enter your walking and/or running stride lengths into your profile and it will determine your distance based on steps recorded and stride length entered.

Does the FitBit have an app for an iPad? does it correlate with MyFitnessPal? Does it track sleeping too?
  • SamanthaRMichel
    SamanthaRMichel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »
    I have the Fitbit One. I like that it is clipped out of sight on my body and does not log hand gestures and typing as activity. It works great as a step counter and activity tracker, but I don't think it calculates distance well for running. There are newer models with GPS that might be better for that.

To track my running, I use the Garmin Forerunner 15. This model is also an activity tracker. However, I only use it for running.

How do you clip FitBit One? Is it not the bracelet? Does that have an app with it?

The Garmin Forerunner 15 is that something I need with wifi? Or do I need a computer application with it or is it an app with it?

Do these both correlate with MyFitnessPal? Thanks :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    WakkoW wrote: »

How do you clip FitBit One? Is it not the bracelet? Does that have an app with it?

The Garmin Forerunner 15 is that something I need with wifi? Or do I need a computer application with it or is it an app with it?

Do these both correlate with MyFitnessPal? Thanks :)

The Fitbit works with the IPad2. I don't think it works with the first IPad.

You need a computer for the Garmin 15 to synch the data.

The One and the Zip clip to your bra or pocket. They don't have wrist bands.
  • kbsangel1986
    kbsangel1986 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i bought a jawbone up ($40 new on amazon) and I love it. Tracks steps (which you can edit to include exercise type, difficulty and time working out), sleep (even breaks down how much was light and deep sleep), calories burned (total, resting and actual burn), calories eaten (through jawbone itself, but I have mine linked to mfp).