what are some low-calorie, no-cook, non-meat proteins?

Options
My protein numbers are consistently low. I like nuts and beans but find them too high-calorie. I tried whey powder but i like myself too much to punish myself that way -- yuck! I don't like milk but i can tolerate it. I like veggie dogs and cheese. I just find i'm only getting about 67% of my MFP protein number of 75g and it worries me. I don't cook.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. And more cheese.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Dairy, some sprouted breads, eggs (whites if you want low calorie, you can make scrambled egg whites in the microwave). You can try the whey protein in a smoothie to hide the taste. Whole grain products have some protein. Depending on your dietary preferences there are lots of vegetarian fake meat products you can pop in the microwave
  • apfei
    apfei Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Dairy, some sprouted breads, eggs (whites if you want low calorie, you can make scrambled egg whites in the microwave). You can try the whey protein in a smoothie to hide the taste. Whole grain products have some protein. Depending on your dietary preferences there are lots of vegetarian fake meat products you can pop in the microwave

Thanx for reminding me about doing eggs in the mic. I just bought some and did up three -- 18g of much-needed protein and delicious!
  • Sandra_Curtis
    Sandra_Curtis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use plain Greek yogurt and yes, a protein powder in my smoothies. I tried 6 and settled on Now Pea Protein powder. Animal, gluten, dairy and soy free. Unflavored and unsweetened. The secret to any powder is proportions. I use just one scoop (24mg) in a 48 oz batch. This makes it drinkable. Combined with the 18g protein that's in the yogurt I add it totals 52g. I drink half before my morning workout; the other half immediately following. Each smoothie is less than 300 cals (I use lots of spinach and a couple fruits with water and ice). I hated protein powders, but I needed the protein :)
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You allowed fish?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cheese, quest bars.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein bars, maybe try to find a protein powder that you actually like the taste of. If you can have fish, it's a great resource. Otherwise, eggs + beans can make a pretty decent protein-laden meal. 1 cup of black beans (which is a lot...) is only about 225 calories for 15g protein. Maybe try making a scramble or a fritatta or something.

ETA that I forgot about the no-cooking thing, so scratch that last. Not eating meat and not cooking and not using powder does kind of limit your options.
  • greghurley3950
    Options
    Kidney beans are a decent source of protein. I primarily eat fruits and veggies but I am not a true vegetarian as I will eat meat on occasion. I use spirulina, which is fresh water pond algea. It is one of the best sources of plant protein on earth and is very cheap online. You can buy powder to mix in water or buy it in tablet form. I like the tablets, they smell like hay but have almost not taste. Whey protein is OK as well but I am not crazy about mixing it and it turns into glue at the bottom of the glass.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Also, I've found that flavor and quality of whey protein varies widely, so maybe do some research and try a different brand. But even brands I'm not crazy about taste much better when they're mixed with milk, or even iced coffee. If you mix it really well it can add a really nice flavor. I agree portion is important, so maybe try half a scoop per drink
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ummm probably should look up microwave cooking, since you seem averse to cooking or may be on the go. Making smoothies hides most of any bad taste of protein powder. Protien powder isn't evil, and it seems to be needed in your case. Or peanut butter. Peanut butter is good.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a big go-to for me, lots of protein, and very low calorie. It's easy to jazz up too, so you don't get bored.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Ummm probably should look up microwave cooking, since you seem averse to cooking or may be on the go. Making smoothies hides most of any bad taste of protein powder. Protien powder isn't evil, and it seems to be needed in your case. Or peanut butter. Peanut butter is good.

Pb is a pretty terrible source of protein. Plus the OP is concerned about the cals from beansand nuts.

Quest bars, balance bars, tinned tuna, learn how to cook.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Canned chickpeas and hummus.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    apfei wrote: »
    My protein numbers are consistently low. I like nuts and beans but find them too high-calorie. I tried whey powder but i like myself too much to punish myself that way -- yuck! I don't like milk but i can tolerate it. I like veggie dogs and cheese. I just find i'm only getting about 67% of my MFP protein number of 75g and it worries me. I don't cook.

You tried the wrong whey powder. There are some truly crap ones out there, but there are some great ones too. Trutein is consistently rated by users to be one of the best-tasting protein supplements out there, and I agree. They have lots of different flavors, and you can buy samples of them to try before committing to a whole tub.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I thoroughly enjoy they Muscle Milk 100 calorie in Chocolate flavor. I mix it with a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a teaspoon of Maca powder, and a teaspoon of instant coffee and a little bit of ice. It's delicious and 152 calories total. 15g protein, lactose, gluten, and sugar free. Also certified Kosher.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened soy milk in my smoothies. Love tofu (specifically Trader Joe's high protein organic tofu), soy nuts, almond butter, edamame.

I like Isopure protein powder during my workouts and breakfast is usually Fitness Labs 6 protein blend in chocolate shake, unsweetened soy milk, 2 tbsp PB2 (powdered peanut butter).