Food Scale

Options
Probably a stupid question, but when you weigh your food, do you get better about estimating how much food weighs for a certain portion size? Did that even make sense ? :) I currently have to input my food based on tablespoon and sizes, etc as I don't yet have a scale. But, when I'm out, will it be easier to estimate the weight once I'm used to weighing my food? If not, what do you do when you're not home or have the scale to use?

Replies

• inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like to have my meals and snacks premade. The food scale helps tremendously! Amazon has a nice omri on sale right now.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will get better. It takes practice, and paying attention.

Foods can be deceptive though. Like bread varies wildly in density and thickness, for example. Steak might be more calories for the same "size" if the restaurant's cut is thicker than what you usually buy and cook. That sort of thing.

I always make my best guess possible and attempt to err on the side of too much. Even if it puts me over, and MFP is all red.

But also, the scale will increase accuracy on your other food so much, that some variance when you eat out will matter a bit less on the whole. Definitely pick one up soon! It's SO much nicer once you get used to it. (Get digital!)