Calling all female heavy lifters

Options
I have lost 75lbs over two years time & just started lifting last year. I feel it is a slow process to see definition (esp in my arms) My diet is 90% clean! I lift 6 days a week (a diff body part ea day incl 2 leg days) w 30 min cardio ea day on step mill or sprints on treadmill . Should I just stay patient or am I doing something wrong? I've always logged my food but I got mfp to really manage my macro amounts to ensure proper nutrients to see definition.

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's awesome. I'm not exercise expert so I'm not giving advice in that area. I'm sure someone will chime in but as far as patience when you say last year what time frame are you talking about that you don't feel you are seeing results that you want? Also, I hope you are taking pics to compare your progress because I know for myself I don't see what other people see but when it's in a picture I am able to see my progress versus looking in the mirror every day.
  • kimcondray
    kimcondray Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've lifted for a solid year & three Mos now. Yes I document by pics, measuring ect. My body type is "endomorph" so I don't hve the "good gene" goin for me lol. Thx!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Are your lifts progressing? How much weight have you added to your lifts over the last year? You've lost a lot of weight, do you have more to go or are you at a maintenance level as far as that goes?
  • kimcondray
    Options
    Yes. I lift "heavy" meaning I'm constantly upping my weight. Recently I have had a setback w my back for about 4 mos so I'm working back up on weight. This will be my 6th week back at it. I hve lost all the weight that I want to I just want to see definition!! I know I need to be patient bc of the setback but when I lifted for a solid year it seems I didn't see the definition I should. This go around I wanna make sure I see results☺️ I figured our my macros but what "goal" should I put in mfp? To gain .5 ea week? That puts me at 2500 cal a day. Thx! Hope I'm not totally annoying u
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    kimcondray wrote: »
    I've lifted for a solid year & three Mos now. Yes I document by pics, measuring ect. My body type is "endomorph" so I don't hve the "good gene" goin for me lol. Thx!

Technically if the body types did exist endomorphs would gain lean mass quicker than the others.

I think your goal should be set to maintain instead of gain. Also, you say you are lifting, but are you following a program or making up your own? If you are making up your own I suggest looking into a program that is already set up.
  • kimcondray
    Options
    I just recently read up on the body types but don't get hung up on it. My overall shape is hourglass but soft in my opinion. I had a workout buddy who is a personal trainer workout w me for the first 6mos so I use what she taught me as a "core" but change it up often. I also go to bootcsmp classes 2-3 times a week to change it up. (I follow Nicole Wilkins who is my idol lol) I get a lot of tips from her. I'm constantly looking up new moves ect. Thx so much for u input. From what I can see u train hard & smart to attain u goal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You need a program. And possibly less cardio.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You need a program. And possibly less cardio.

Yup this plus patience
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My training is that I eat at a slight deficit and I follow a solid program built to help accomplish my goals (created by someone with many years of experience and education in fitness). I used to just follow general information I read, but it didn't get me very far. You need a program and there are tons of them out there.

Also, somatotypes were created by a psychologist a long time ago and have been debunked. Endomorphs eat more than they need and move less than they should. Ectomorphs eat less than they need an are very active. We change our body type by changing our intake and activity level. Many women do have general shapes (like hour glass) that is more about bone structure and fat storage. Either way we just have to lose overall fat since we can't target where it comes off of.
  • kimcondray
    Options
    Yeah I thought that about the cardio thing too! Thx!
  • kimcondray
    Options
    :) thx so much!!