I realized I needed to lose weight when ______________

Options
Thought it would be fun to share the moment we realized we had to make some healthier changes. Mine would be looking at my wedding photos. Wish I could go back and get those pics taken again with the body I have now! LOL

What was your "ah ha" moment?

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My doctor told me I was fat and because of that, I had insulin resistance, and was well on my way to diabetes. So, I lost 70 pounds and am no longer insulin resistant.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    no specific moment. i took a walk one day. then the next. then the next. then remembered i was a member here, and started logging again. then went to a zumba class. then kept going. so it just... happened (and im loving every minute of it!)

oh and i started noticing the scale moving down. that was probably what kept me going LOL i remember telling one of my friends ' I LOST 3 POUNDS!' . that was 20 pounds ago ;) LOL
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I lost my mum and brother to Type 2 diabetes :'( and then the doctor told me I am prediabetic and also at risk of cardiovascular disease
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I've known I needed to lose weight since childhood. I don't recall a time when I didn't know that I should lose weight.
  • librarydebster
    librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I saw pictures of myself and did not like the fat on my face or body. Also, my doctor said if my blood sugar went up a bit more she would suggest medication. Nope. No medication. I got my *kitten* in gear and lost 65 pounds and more is coming off this year.
  • thatsnotmahname
    Options
    I saw myself in my graduation pictures and my arms were much larger than my oldest brother's :( I decided to try and it's been sooooooo hard I just wish I hated food
  • rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I started to offer to take the pictures to avoid being in them.
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When my cat lost weight I felt silly not losing any myself...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I realized I was only 10 years younger than my dad was when he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I was basically heading down the same path.
  • katrinaziemer
    katrinaziemer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My dog sat on my stomach like a chair in the truck. Horrible!
  • gaeo189
    gaeo189 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When my cat lost weight I felt silly not losing any myself...

LOL yes!!! I tell my cat he's a pear, and then I realized I was too....
  • shraniken
    shraniken Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Visited some family overseas. So it was the combination of being overweight on an airplane and seeing myself in a lot of photos, which I had always avoided doing lol. I still use them as motivation from time to time.

If you had asked me how much I weighed, I'd have said 270 or so, but I had actually went a little over 300 while there. -_-

Funny how weight can sneak up on you. Well not funny, the opposite of that.

• mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My husband took a picture of me sitting with my aunt and cousin, both very petite women. I couldn't even keep it! I deleted it as soon as I could without it being obvious! I had been doing some "dabbling" with MFP for a few weeks before that but hadn't committed until then.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    High blood pressure and the doctor writing obese on my chart
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    When I realized I couldn't stand to see any pictures of myself and that I had whole chunks of my life that had no record of me actually being in them. Neither didn't get in the picture or I deleted it right after.
  • dnell76
    dnell76 Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options
    When I realized I am 10 pounds heavier than when I gave birth to my 17 year old son and I remember back during my pregnancy the doc told me "you're gaining too much". I feel like I'm always failing at this. I can't find what works - ever since I quit smoking 2 years ago i've just only been getting bigger. I keep gaining. Discouraging.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I realized I needed to do something about my weight about 1 month before I became pregnant with my first child and I had started working on it, albeit the wrong way. I really wasn't liking the fact that I could no longer fit into my cute clothes. As you can probably guess, I didn't make much progress. During the pregnancy my weight spiraled out of control. 60lbs in 34 weeks out of control. What part was fat and what was from severe water retention is any bodies guess at this point. All I know is after 34 weeks of pregnancy, an emergency c-section and 6 weeks of recovery I had hit an all time high for me of 260lbs. As soon as the doctor said I was good to go, I started again. While I thought I was doing it right at the time, looking back now I didn't exactly take the healthiest approach. After I found MFP (about a year later) well that was the turning point where I was able to do this in a healthy and sustainable way (even if it does seem like an excruciatingly slow process at times).
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Not being able to fit into my clothes
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    After doing a genealogy chart tracking my family history of diabetes and heart disease for a college program I was enrolled in a few years ago. After seeing the red and yellow dots on our family tree, and realizing that I was the same weight then as I was when I was full term pregnant with my youngest. I decided to do something about my weight rather than just feel bad about it and wish it was different.
  • fatbrizzy
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I've known I needed to lose weight since childhood. I don't recall a time when I didn't know that I should lose weight.

Pretty much!