Calories in homemade green juice

Options
Hi All,

I am confused on how to calculate the calories for home made green juice. I usually take the following green juice post workout and not sure how should I calculate the calories:

Ingredients:

2/3rd of Cucumber ( around 12 inches)
3 carrots
2 inch ginger

I juice the above mentioned and then add apple and spinach in the smoothie maker...

1/2 apple
handful of spinach
1/2 lemon juice

It makes around 500 ml of juice... Now how should I calculate the calories of cucumber and carrots because with juicing the fibers are discarded???

Thanks in advance !

Replies

• Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    It looks to be about 100 calories
    Recipe Nutrition Calculator
    If you go to recipes new recipe just add all the ingrdients.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    the fibre is basically minimally calorific, the fibre would usually pass through the digestive tract until..welll...you know ;-) so it isnt absorbed by the body or a usable energy source. of course fibre is needed in the diet in general, but not for calorific/energy giving purposes per se.

the calories in juice come from the sugars, fatty acids and amino acids that are soluble and you consume those in the juice. i just log the fruit and veg as i would if i ate it as it is. it WILL be an over-estimatation as your juicer won't extract 100% of the juice of the produce, but it's the closest thing. just ignore the fibre count, as the majority of that has been extracted.

happy juicing, sounds like a yummy combination you've got there :drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just throw all of it into the blender. Why waste time and nutrients with a juicer? Those things are the worst wastes of money ever, they get rid of everything good about the fruit or vegetable, just blend it all.