What am I doing wrong?

Options
I'm a senior in high school and I weigh 150. I was 155 at my max but have managed to keep it around 150 since I got my wisdom teeth out in Aug. I had been doing really well and was losing weight. I even got down to 147! But I'm slowly creeping back up. I'm logging my food and I've just recently started working out at a gym because I never had a membership. I ran for 11 mins (which is basically my mile and that's sad, I know) and I was sweating like crazy. I cooled down with some arm and leg machines. I would really love to lose weight but for some reason I can't and its pissing me off that I'm starting to gain again. I've been trying to lose weight since freshmen year of high school and I haven't really succeeded. It would go down and right back up again and down a little and straight back up. It's annoying me and I'm feeling super hopeless right now :'(

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How fast is this gain?

Keep in mind the follow fact regarding gaining fat.
    You would need to eat 250 more calories daily over your maintenance, not diet, but maintenance, for 2 weeks, to slowly gain 1 lb of fat.
    Reread that.

So if the 3 lbs is faster than a few days or a week, it's water weight.

And in fact the first improvements from exercise have to do with gained water weight.
    Blood volume expands as you sweat more.
    More glycogen is stored in muscle with attached water for that cardio you are doing.

Could also be that your food logging leaves a lot to be desired.
    Calories is per gram, not cups or spoons.
    So do you weigh all the food that goes in your mouth?
    Even packaged food if you eat the whole package.

And how much to lose to healthy weight?
    How big a deficit did you take?

You may have attempted too big a deficit, which is just a stress on a growing body, and that causes increases cortisol hormone.
    That can help retain up to 20 lbs of water if you keep the stress up.

You likely didn't gain 2 lbs weekly, nor should you attempt to lose that fast.

And how often do you eat out, where you can't really log with any decent accuracy?
  • Fred1944
    Fred1944 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    the only way to lose weigh it is the food you are eating, if you eat the right food and less of it you will lose the weigh