30lbs down and cant tell

Options
2»

Replies

• Dcioby73
    Dcioby73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats! 30 lbs is no joke, even if it's not ALL fat loss, and you may have lost a little fluid and muscle in the process as well.

Two things to remember:

a) The problem areas are ALWAYS the last ones to come in. My abs and chest are always the last bodyparts I show progress in, whereas my calves, for instance, continue to get toned and defined even though they look fine even when I'm overweight.

b) I know you've heard this before, but is it FAT loss or WEIGHT loss? It's possible that if your diet and exercise aren't super on point that you lost a good amount of lean tissue, and that's why, despite the massive scale loss, it may "only" be 15lbs of actual fat.
    I would definitely start doing your bodyfat on a weekly or bi weekly basis. Either get a caliper, or use a site like this one, where all you need to know is your weight and waist circumference. It's probably not super accurate, but if you use the same method every week, you should at least be consistent in your approach to measuring BF%.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I've lost 30lbs since I've started and can't tell a difference. Others I know can tell and do congratulate me on weight loss. To me my stomach is still there and fat is still lingering. I can fit smaller pants, the scale reads differently from my beginning weight but I just don't see it. I think my scale is rigged lol. I can see weight loss in my face but that's it. I am however half way to Desired goal. O started at a weight of 265lbs, and I would like to get down to 215/220 and be toned. At the moment I'm 234 and still look a lil heavy.

Congrats on the loss!! I didn't have a chance to read ALL the responses, but from what I've noticed myself and have had others tell me is that sometimes it takes longer to notice the weight loss on ourselves compared to others looking AT us. Give it time and I'm sure you WILL notice. Good job again!!
  • heytherelameman
    heytherelameman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    In the past, I've lost over 100 lbs and still told myself I was STILL way too heavy. I didn't celebrate that loss. I didn't embrace the compliments. I still looked in the mirror and saw the same fat girl.... and that is what I later went back to!

I wish I could go back to thin me and tell her she is beautiful. I wish I could tell her to take ownership of the work she did and to love herself. Well, with some hard work, I will be able to get back to that again... or that's the plan anyway! :)

Moral is, CELEBRATE! EMBRACE your weight loss and USE IT AS MOTIVATION to reach your ultimate goal! No more picking on the bad! :)
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I was 19, I was overweight (not obese) and started to really buckle down before I went to Basic Training. I wasn't trying to be cute, I was trying to lose some fat and get strong. I weighted about 160. After months of that, plus completing basic training, I was down to 145, and looked MASSIVELY different. All of this happened inside a year, but I could not tell. I knew I was stronger, I knew I weighed less, I knew I was wearing a much smaller size in jeans, but I saw my stomach the same, still saw a bit of back fat, what have you. Of course, now when I look back at pictures from when I came home, I'm just like, "HOLY S****!" I looked very fit and better than I ever have my whole life. We judge ourselves more harshly. I had abs, actual abs, and still saw whatever dough was left as the same it had been before. It's crazy. Pay attention to compliments, and the facts, like measurements. It's real!
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Yes, what everyone else said about progress pics! I've only lost around 16lbs. and can already kind of tell in my everyday life and often when I look in the mirror, but I'm really excited to compare my progress pics soon! Try it out and see how that works for you.

And, definitely congratz on that big accomplishment -- 30lbs. off is nice!
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see it at first, and then I took pictures and saw a huge difference. As you said, wearing smaller clothes helped too.

When you see yourself every single day, it's hard to notice changes. My boyfriend didn't notice either, but then he saw my pictures and it was obvious to him too.

Take pictures every time you lose 10 pounds. It helps. Trust me. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!