I think my wife may hate me!

Options
About three weeks into this diet and doing well, but starting to struggle with wanting to eat all the time.

So, just to help out my wife decides to cook bacon this morning for our son. He didn't want it but she told him it was all that was on offer.

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    She said that, because she loves you. She didn't want you to have to eat it ;)
  • GettinFitta
    GettinFitta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    flumi_f wrote: »
    She said that, because she loves you. She didn't want you to have to eat it ;)

I don't understand that
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Bacon is good. Eat it! :smiley:
  • GettinFitta
    Options
    Bacon is good. Eat it! :smiley:

So I should quit my diet? Thanks for the advice.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    You can fit bacon into a diet. Just have a couple bits, and not tons, or have low calorie foods elsewhere to make up for the extra cals in the bacon. Otherwise look into turkey bacon, or back bacon where you can cut the fat off of. If you are starving all the time, I'd also suggest either reevaluating your calorie goals, or eating some some protein and fats to fill you up.

Dieting doesn't have to mean suffering.
  • GettinFitta
    Options
    You can fit bacon into a diet. Just have a couple bits, and not tons, or have low calorie foods elsewhere to make up for the extra cals in the bacon. Otherwise look into turkey bacon, or back bacon where you can cut the fat off of. If you are starving all the time, I'd also suggest either reevaluating your calorie goals, or eating some some protein and fats to fill you up.

I'm not starving all the time, but miss the constant eating. Also, it is hell to try and eat a healthy breakfast when the house reeks of bacon!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    So, have a grilled bacon rasher or two with scrambled eggs (no fat) and baked beans! Healthy, protein packed breakfast. As you are male, you could get away with some toast as well! Healthy eating is more about adapting rather than denying!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    After another three weeks, you can teach yourself not to notice the smell.
    Alternatively, let her make bacon for you and work out how it fits into your calories for the day.
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't understand why you can't fit bacon into your macros. Do you already eat a full days worth of fat with another meal?
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Maybe he isn't so far into into this new eating lifestyle that he can only eat one serving. When someone is used to eating all of the time it takes a while to be able to just stop eating after one serving. Especially when it is something that you really like eating.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I dont pork but turkey bacon is a crap substitute.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with eating bacon
  • coralraelamb
    coralraelamb Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I'm not starving all the time, but miss the constant eating. Also, it is hell to try and eat a healthy breakfast when the house reeks of bacon!

Tell your wife to only cook bacon once a month. It's too tempting!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you can just fit the bacon in. Have it with some eggs if possible or something else as a serving of bacon on its own isn't very satiating. There's no better time to learn moderation than now...sounds like you are getting a crash course in it. But bacon is not off limits...no food is. Its not what's you eat but how much. Meat bacon all the time and have lost 75 pounds.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    2 pc bacon and 2 scrambled eggs..yummy breakfast. Now I'm sad that I don't have bacon. :(
  • coralraelamb
    coralraelamb Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Actually calorie wise no, health wise there is. It's very bad for your heart. Also he needs to get accustomed to healthier fats. Once in a while is fine though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon a couple of times a week. It's easy enough to eat a eeasonable portiin if you only cook one serving. It's not like you sit on the couch munching bacon straight out of the package. You have to make an effort to cook it first. Just make 2 or 3 slices.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I bet your wife doesn't hate you! :) But if you don't want to eat bacon, resisting the temptation is your job. In fact, you're going to run into that situation all the time, not just in your own home. For instance, when you're at a restaurant and everyone is ordering dessert, when you're at a sporting event and everyone is eating nachos and hot dogs, when you go to the movies and everyone is getting popcorn and mega-sized candy... Sure, you can indulge sometimes, but it's your job to stay committed to your diet. One thing that helps me is to "pre-log" my food in MFP. So even if I smell bacon in the house, I already know I'm waiting for berries and yogurt later. If you feel the need to be "eating all the time" as you said, just plan out your food so you can eat frequently and still stay within your goal. Good luck!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

Actually calorie wise no, health wise there is. It's very bad for your heart. Also he needs to get accustomed to healthier fats. Once in a while is fine though.

Why is bacon bad for a heart?

• Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    blobby10 wrote: »
    Healthy eating is more about adapting rather than denying!!

I just want to say I totally love the way you phrased that! +1 on the gist of it, although it is true that adaptation is easier for some than others. In that sense, if bacon is a trigger food for the OP or they cannot practice moderation with it, makes sense to avoid it for a while. Otherwise I agree there is nothing wrong with it as a food.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Nobody is saying you should stuff yourself full with it daily. You can eat a classic Mediterranean-type diet and have bacon occasionally too. Nutrition is not an either | or thing in most cases, bar the obvious medical exceptions of life-threatening allergies etc.