Does this happen to you!

Options
Weight loss is not linear, I know. But the way my body works sometimes makes me crazy! I'll work out and eat right for a few weeks and be losing, and then suddenly plateau. Then, something happens to disrupt my routine, I'll think that I was slacking off or eating too much, but BAM! as soon as I get back into my routine I break though the plateau and lose a pound or two.

This time was uber crazy - I've been doing month 2 of Insanity, which is some crazy workouts let me tell you, plus I got a standing desk at work, plus I was hitting my calorie goals. I was 2 weeks out from vacation, and 2 pounds from my goal. Week 1 of doing all the right things - nothing. Week 2 of going out, too many drinks, eating a brownie that should have been weighed in pounds (the only brownie I have never been able to finish), super stress at work/life, doing half-workouts on the days that I managed to do anything. Then I get back into the routine the last two days and weigh myself this morning...not only am I at my vacation goal, I am under my goal by 0.8 pounds! (I even confirmed on a second scale)

Crazy journey, I tell ya! Anybody else have this sort of thing happen?

Replies

• bads1
    bads1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Nice work on your goals! I've noticed a similar thing in my weight loss. I'll eat within my macros, workout, and be generally good, lose a few pounds. I'll plateaua a few days then. The best way i find to break the plateau is to eat bad for a day. Nothing really bad, but 600-800 calories or so. Next day i start the process over. Doesn't always work, but 50% of the time.

I've heard of others who do this as well, seems it depends on if you are strength training or not, but just my guess...
  • hmvfit
    hmvfit Posts: 4
    Options
    congrats on the good results and you do deserve that browny!!! I've been at this for only a month but have the same experience. I'd be a perfect dieter/excerciser for a few days and nothing happens or I even worse, put on weight, then the monday after a weekend that included 3 glasses of wine, chile relleno, chocolate and cheesecake I'm better off. However, the math is all there. I log every piece of food I put in my mouth and every workout, and the calory defficit for this month (3,500 calories per pound) match pretty closely my 9 lb weigh loss. cheers!
  • Tlbrown1985
    Options
    Yep ive lost 50 lbs like this.. some people will say that its not good.. but its because yoyur metabolism is being tricked and it doesent know what to do!!! works for me also
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. I was on a plateau for four months (some of my own doing, some not). I went on vacation in April and gained the three pounds I'd been gaining and shedding for four months. When I came back, I lost the three gained and kept going!!! At almost two months since returning, I've lost a total of 10 lbs.

I don't beat myself up when I overload a day or two because my goal is longterm weigh loss (75 lbs in 3 years at 25 lbs/year) so I am mentally and physically making adjustments as I go to keep it off.

Keep doing what you know is right and you'll get to your goals in the end!