Cleaning Out Protein Shakers Left in the Car...

Options
I left my protein shaker with protein drink residue in my car for 2 days and now I can't get it the nasty smell out! I've done this before and ending up having to throw it out... Any one have any tricks for this?

I've let it soak over night with dish washing soap.. Then let it air out for days.. I've run it through the dishwasher a few times and it still has that gross smell. Any ideas?

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    baking power with water in a paste - smear in side, leave for a day - rinse.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Vinegar
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just chuck mine when that happens. Even if I can get it out, psychologically the shaker is no longer any good...I will always smell/taste nastiness.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree, nothing works for me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I've left my protein shakers for up to a week without washing. Just doing multiple washes with lots of soap gets rid of the smell entirely. Vinegar also helps if the smell is especially strong. I've never had to toss one due to smell.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    My son has done this a few times with milk / protein blend in it, it is disgusting! Though if he lets it sit for a day or two with some leftover Xtend (mango) or Monster Amino (green apple) that usually overpowers the other smell o:)

Otherwise I would try the baking soda. The smell always comes out eventually.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I toss them. I just think of the smell, and it is all over.

• bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    This so reminds me of the OH - then he moans at me when I wash up and they still smell! Mostly we end up throwing them out :\
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Try letting them sit with some orange koolaid in them or something, that would be a cheap alternative to try. Not much to lose, and better for the environment if you can rescue them! Seriously, the smell comes out completely.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Ugh i just throw them out, a waste i know. But ive cleaned and used them and theyre never the same. Now i just make myself wash it immediately, at the gym, at work. Even just rinsing with hot water. I ate how sometimes the soap can leave the cup smelling. Sometimes i just use scalding hot water to clean it (gross? Lol)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Soak in a solution of bleach and water, or use dishwasher detergent (which contains bleach) and hot water for a soak.

After the visible nast is gone, rinse and rinse again, then fill with vinegar and let it stand for a few days.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    When I do stuff like that, I always soak the offending items in a weak bleach solution and then run them through the dishwasher. The bleach solution I use is usually a sink full of hot water and 2-4 Tbsp of bleach.

I do this quite a lot because my toddler tends to hide sippies with a bit of milk left in them under the couch and I find them when I'm cleaning.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    when i was in college we would sneak it into someone's dorm room and it would just leach n ruin their room for hours.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »
    when i was in college we would sneak it into someone's dorm room and it would just leach n ruin their room for hours.

I should do this to my husband's car...
  • flatlandrunner
    flatlandrunner Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The closest thing to removing the smell I've found is letting it sit overnight with soapy water + a couple of tbsp of vinegar.

Then rinse it out, wash it, repeat the overnight soak of soapy vinegar water, wash it out the next day and let it dry out.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    vinegar, baking soda or even lemons with hot water will all remove horrible smells from just about anything.
  • gwayby
    gwayby Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh god, I can't eat ON Delicious Strawberry anymore after finding a shaker that got shoved under my car seat for a few weeks. We opened that sucker up to clean it and the smell immediately permeated our entire apartment and lingered for several hours, despite all windows and doors being open/fans on/etc. I gag just thinking about it.
  • charlie_anne
    charlie_anne Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Doesn't the smell make you gag! So far I've been able to save mine by soaking it overnight in hot soapy water then through the dishwasher. Not left it by mistake for long enough to have the smell infuse into the plastic - yet
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses... I will try all of these until I find a solution! I normally chunk them when this happens too.. but I'm such a bum that it takes me forever to finally go to the store to get a new one.... then when I finally get one, I have it for a few months and then I leave it someplace and the cycle continues.