Thyroid

Options
2»

Replies

• goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I am on levothyroxine and cytomel and I have lost over 50lbs. It has not been a walk in the park, but it hasn't been horrible either. It is all about calories in verses calories out. And not taking your medication correctly can have some pretty severe effects on your body and on your mental health. I wish you the best.
  • itzsimba
    itzsimba Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Are you taking your thyroid medication on an empty stomach? Recommendations of 30 minutes before meal and any other medications. I work in a doctors office and this is usually a shady area.. Routine TSH with free T4 every 3 months is also highly recommended to ensure you're taking the proper dose
  • jomac369
    jomac369 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you. I have regular blood work and have asked my doctor to change my meds He won't! I take it first thing I. The morning on an empty stomach. I
    Jomac, when was the last time your doctor checked your thyroid levels? It may be time for a medication adjustment. :)
    romygo12 wrote: »
    jomac, sgrosick....About 7 years ago I was on Synthroid but not feeling better month after month. The last doc appt. I had, he just wanted to increase the med. again and I pleaded with him to do more testing to find out what was wrong, as I just didn't feel well. He said it wasn't necessary and I just needed more Synthroid. That was my last appt. with him and when I left there that day, I decided to take care of my own health! I saw no point in continuing to take the Synthroid if it wasn't making me feel better. I was still feeling awful, I was still gaining weight, and I couldn't see paying for it every month. I weaned off of it, which I am not telling anyone to do, just a decision I made for myself. Then I changed my eating and exercising. I made a commitment to myself for my health! I found a plan that made sense to me, and I followed it to a T for 12 weeks! I lost 35 pds. in those 12 wks. and I continued on for another 3 months to lose 10 more! I felt better than I had felt for many years before that! I have maintained that weight loss within 3 to 4 pounds up or down for the past 7 years! I had to go back on Levothyroxine a little over a year ago because I am now in Menopause and it is affecting my thyroid too. It is a low dose and I absolutely cannot stand having to take it. But, keeping with the nutrition and exercise, I still feel good! I have hot flashes, tiredness, and emotional spells, but nothing like I felt when I was at my worst with my thyroid levels being off the charts! It can be difficult, but you have to make that commitment! For me, something just clicked within me, and I was ready to make the change! I just want you to know that you can feel better! BODY for LIFE is the plan that I followed and it has been the best thing that I ever did for my health!

• jomac369
    jomac369 Posts: 4
    Options
    Two months ago!!
    Jomac, when was the last time your doctor checked your thyroid levels? It may be time for a medication adjustment. :)