Is there a way to increase strength and muscle volume of forearms?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I am overall happy with my upper body strength and muscles, but one thing that has always been holding me back is my forearms. My wrists are very thin, bones are also very narrow, there is absolutely no fat there and never have been, but they are also a weak point regading strength. When it comes to doing more push-ups or increasing weight for bench presses or shoulder presses, usually my wrists are the problem and the body part that is holding me back. I like how they look, but how fragile they are (I have had a lot of injuries there over the years, in different sports too) is something always bothering me. I have tried wrist curls but I cannot say I have ever seen them work for me. Any ideas? A trainer once commented that I need to accept this is how I am, and I accept that partially this is true, like, for sure I cannot change the size of my bones, but is there a way to gain strenght there?

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Maybe do wrist curls with a lighter weight. Palm facing up (or slightly inward depending on flexibility) & palm facing down. Just a thought.
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, arthristis and carpo tunnel and I do Pilates by using wrist protectors. When I first started Pilates I did not think I would be able to because my wrists felt like they were going to snap. Go to a pharmaceutical store that sells ace bandages and the like. Hopefully it will help you as much as it did me. Blessings.
  • kingw363
    kingw363 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Maybe do wrist curls with a lighter weight. Palm facing up (or slightly inward depending on flexibility) & palm facing down. Just a thought.

Yes that works, it was recommended to me by a fitness instructor.

• My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I started training with a bo staff and it really works your forearms, wrists, upper arms, shoulders, and core. They're fairly cheap to buy over the Internet, and YouTube has a lot of videos on basic bo staff spins.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    grandma107 wrote: »
    I have fibromyalgia, arthristis and carpo tunnel and I do Pilates by using wrist protectors. When I first started Pilates I did not think I would be able to because my wrists felt like they were going to snap. Go to a pharmaceutical store that sells ace bandages and the like. Hopefully it will help you as much as it did me. Blessings.
    Yes this feeling exactly :) I have been doing last year TRX classes and pilates with wrist protectors. and they do help some, but still I am always scared something will literally snap.

• LKArgh
    Options
    kingw363 wrote: »
    funjen1972 wrote: »

Yes that works, it was recommended to me by a fitness instructor.

Thank you, I will try this starting today
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Your forearms provide the power for your wrists and fingers. Wrist curls are good boy only work some of the muscles. Various grip exercised will help round out your development. Try thicker bars for some of your lifts. There are products sold for this or you can improvise with pipe insulation tape or towels. Hanging by your fingers for time works great and can be done almost anywhere. Plate pinches and curls can be done easily if you already have access to weights. And I recently discovered something called the pick axe :). It's brutal but fun. A little bit of Google will tell you all about the exercises and the ideas behind them. Good luck.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Climbing is awesome for forearms. Hanging from a bar works too.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Wrist extensions, but be sure to do this one alone or you will get in trouble.
  • bmanlatour
    bmanlatour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Zottman curls, farmer carries, deadlifts, one arm hangs, pull ups

Wrist roller: a dowel with a rope or chain attached to a weight. Hold your arms out and roll the rope up and down. It's an old baseball pitcher exercise.

Plate pinch: take 2 weight plates and pinch them together and hold for time. Pick weight s that are challenging for your goal time. I'll use 25s for 60 sec or 45s for 30 sec.