healthy cereal

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    verapal wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to add some breakfast cereal to my diet. Are there some healthy low carb options?

cereals are grains...grains are carbs....low carb and cereal aren't really bed fellows.

When I eat cereal I eat oats...usually with eggs and whatnot.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I make my cereals "healthy" by adding vanilla protein powder mixed with water in place of the milk.

I don't think it really makes the cereal healthy, but I need protein at my meals to help keep me full. Otherwise I would just be hungry half an hour later.
  • scraps74
    scraps74 Posts: 1
    Options
    it is so hard to find a quick, good protein breakfast, because I have two little ones, and I am always running around like crazy to get them ready!
  • blessybuva
    blessybuva Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    how about shredded wheat? the only ingredient with that one is in fact wheat. topped with berries and skimmed milk its a nice clean breakfast
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    best cereals I found (diabetic so have to keep it low carb) is Kellogg's all bran (it has carbs, but it has lots of fiber. (so for net carbs...carbs - fiber = net carbs) it is not bad. Another one is Fiber one. Oatmeal is higher carbs and doesn't have the fiber to balnace it out.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    scraps74 wrote: »
    it is so hard to find a quick, good protein breakfast, because I have two little ones, and I am always running around like crazy to get them ready!

Here's an "I have 5 minutes to scarf something down" breakfast w/ decent protein:

1-150g pot of nonfat Greek yogurt (pick your flavor) ~100-120 calories/12g protein
    1-hard boiled egg--70-80 calories/7-8g protein
    28g of Cheerios--100 calories/3g protein
    1/3 cup of 2% or skim milk--~30-40 calories/3g protein

Total 300-340 calories/25-26g protein

When I'm even more pressed for time, I may mix a coffee+whey powder to drink in the car, and grab a handful of dry Cheerios as I'm getting kids ready (I like Cheerios, can you tell?). Similar calories/macros.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    rckeeper22 wrote: »
    I agree with everyone above. Oatmeal is the best option if you want a 'cereal'.

I tried Kashi Go Lean for awhile, thinking I was smart and doing things right. But if you look into the articles/research on it . . . sadly, no boxed cereal is good, regardless of how they market themselves. Which pains me to say, because I absolutely love cereal!

Oatmeal, eggs, yogurt (separate or all three) are good choices for breakfast.
    I'm curious where your bar is for 'good'.

Spoon-Sized Shredded Wheat with Bran is my go to cereal but I like All-bran and even Cheerios on occasion.

• vbausinger09
    Options
    I try to stay away from cereals that sugar in their first 5 ingredients. I mostly eat rice chex (gluten free) & oatmeal.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    kayeiam wrote: »
    best cereals I found (diabetic so have to keep it low carb) is Kellogg's all bran (it has carbs, but it has lots of fiber. (so for net carbs...carbs - fiber = net carbs) it is not bad. Another one is Fiber one. Oatmeal is higher carbs and doesn't have the fiber to balnace it out.
    I like the all bran buds, I mix it with Greek yogurt, it gives it a nice crunch. It's like 50% of daily fiber.
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Tried old fashioned oats (2min30sec) in the microwave and put some pure vanilla extract on it with bananas.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Cereal is high carb by definition. That said, I like to make my own granola and then mix in some fresh blueberries-- best cereal ever.