Do Organic Foods cause autism and diabetes?

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Please read the full post at the link below before commenting

http://kfolta.blogspot.com/2013/02/organic-food-causes-autism.html
While people think of "organic" cultivation techniques as natural and safe, there are important points we might consider. Most of the plants used today have only been developed genetically in the last 100 years, and even "heirloom" varieties were bred relatively recently. There have been no long term studies, and plants certainly are known to produce a wide suite of toxic compounds.

Worse, organically cultivated plants are placed in highly artificial environments. Rather than growing in soil as it exists, soils are highly amended with composts and manures. High levels of nitrogen and carbon dramatically alter gene expression leading to patterns never observed in nature. Van Djik et al. (2012) found that there were dramatic differences in gene expression between conventional and organically-grown potatoes, with organic potatoes showing higher expression of stress-related genes. There have been no long-term studies to assess the effects of this un-natural gene expression.

It is clear that this causes human diseases. The first graph below shows organic food sales. The second graph shows increasing numbers of autistic children and the bottom graph shows diabetes. Those results are pretty conclusive.

autorg.jpg

The graph on the left shows organic food sales. The graph on the right shows autism incidence. The graph below shows increases in diabetes. Clearly a connection.

dafgve.JPG

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My nephew (has aspergers) always was better when he had organice food, and food without e-numbers.

Autism is also more diagnosed now, instead of seeing it as a 'hysterical woman' thing (my gyna is still opposite the mental ward from the victorian times!)

Or frui/veg/animals are rising up against humans cause they dont want to be eaten?
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The author makes a very good point. Saying that just because two graphs have the same shape doesn't mean one is the cause of the other.

Basically his point is that this does not prove that organic, or none organic food causes autism or diabetes. And that sounds about right.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    LOL That association to autism isn't valid. You could say the same about vaccines, and we all know that's bull****.

Good blog post.
  • itslucyr
    itslucyr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Big difference between correlation and causation. What if parents of children with autism are buying organic foods to see if it makes a difference? Therefore more children with autism = higher sales of organic foods.

CorrelationCausationFinal1.jpg

Research6.jpg

correlation_causation1.gif
  • Acg67
    Options
    Big difference between correlation and causation. What if parents of children with autism are buying organic foods to see if it makes a difference? Therefore more children with autism = higher sales of organic foods.

img]http://www.thegraphicrecorder.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/CorrelationCausationFinal1.jpg[/img]

img]http://blog.lib.umn.edu/huber195/psy1001spring12/Research6.jpg[/img]

img]http://genpsychsum10.umwblogs.org/files/2010/06/correlation_causation1.gif[/img]

So I take it you did not actually read the link by your post
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Ha! I won't post spoilers, but yeah. Correlation does not mean causation.
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options

Research6.jpg

Good point.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of fail.

NO, they do not.

Organic simply means: no chemical pesticides. no chemical based fertilizer. no genetically modified organisms. How in the world would adding chemical based pesticides, etc, suddenly make the food 'not' cause cancer. It's such backwards thinking it's hilarious.

I see Monsanto is working overtime at putting out misinformation and spin in order to counterbalance the negative press they're getting.

We've been eating 'organic' for most of our existence as a species. It's from the earth. It's only recently in our history that we started adding chemicals to everything (often without careful study, just research the list of banned pesticides over time) and modifying things at the gene level.
  • Acg67
    Options
    This thread is full of fail.

NO, they do not.

Organic simply means: no chemical pesticides. no chemical based fertilizer. no genetically modified organisms. How in the world would adding chemical based pesticides, etc, suddenly make the food 'not' cause cancer. It's such backwards thinking it's hilarious.

I see Monsanto is working overtime at putting out misinformation and spin in order to counterbalance the negative press they're getting.

We've been eating 'organic' for most of our existence as a species. It's from the earth. It's only recently in our history that we started adding chemicals to everything (often without careful study, just research the list of banned pesticides over time) and modifying things at the gene level.

^ This post is full of fail as well, as you did not even read the link, then proceeded to make ridiculous statements. So organic crops use chemical free pesticides and fertilizers? LOL. And nice to see the tinfoil hat Monsanto comments/
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a strong correlation between reading comprehension and following directions. Oh wait, maybe that's a cause and effect relationship.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Your quotes are really misleading since the blog post is arguing against what you quoted.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

LOL, they're not even correlated! A temporal association is not enough to label it a correlation. You'd have to do an epidemiolgy study and link autism with organic food. Then you could say you have a statistically significant correlation.

I assume the post is a sarcastic attempt to discredit epidemiology. Obviously correlations from epidemiology must be taken with a grain of salt. However this example is a bad one because there is no signficant correlation demonstrated.

EDIT: and no, I definitely did not follow that link!
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Excellent blog post about a really irritating subject - SO many people would look at those graphs as conclusive. It is SO difficult to prove whether something 'causes' something else, and so many factors can be involved, hence the relative surprise when after YEARS of research smoking was shown to cause almost all lung cancer.

Of course, just because something can't be proven to cause something YET doesn't mean it DOESN'T. Research into food and nutrition is such an infant science and it's far easier to disprove links!
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Good post - and the comments from the folks who didn't read the blog are especially hilarious. Reminds me of another blog I read that regularly includes links to a satire news site (similar to The Onion, but military-centric). Every time they put in such a link there will be a large number of genuinely outraged comments over the "news" in the "article."
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Your quotes are really misleading since the blog post is arguing against what you quoted.

:wink:
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    If you follow the link posted, this whole thread/link is to show how easily data is made to say bull**** conclusions.

Nice job Ac. Should be a great thread. Grabs popcorn.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read it...still, I've been wanting to use this.

correlation.png
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I like the blog.

First thing that sprang to mind actually was - 'wow, they've actually figured out that both illnesses are directly attributable to diet. That's BIG news'
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    iAMsmiling, there's ALWAYS a relevant xkcd. ALWAYS.

FR sent * :laugh: