Ending diet; maintaining weight Help!

Options
kazhomuhsin
kazhomuhsin Posts: 12 Member
edited February 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hi Everyone,

So, I was on a diet for 5 months and lost 21 kilos. Now I weight 61 kilos and I'm 5'7''. I'm very happy with my body but I have a huge issue.
My diet consisted of 500 to 600 calories per day plan. ( I know this is very low but I was making sure I get all the neutritions required).
About a month ago I increased my intake to 800 calories and I was still maintaining weight. But I need to be at at 1000 calories per day at least to stay healthy.

However, I'm panicking because since I have increased my calories to 1000 last week, I have gained a kilo. Even though I only eat healthy

I'm absolutely terrified because I don't want to go back to being overweight again. I can't stop thinking about regaining all the weight again. Whenever I'm alone or thinking I think about my weight and my body and I get depressed. It's controlling my life.

I really would appreciate it if any of you can help me on how to go through this? Any tips, motivation, ways to end this obsession and also to help me maintain my weight I would be very greatful.

Thank you

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The weight you've 'gained' is just water weight. Your glycogen stores have been and are still depleted. Expect the number on the scale to go up a little when you raise your calories as it will hold onto more water with increased carbs. This is normal and its not fat. Please bump it to 1300-1400 every day for a while untill it settles and then add 100 a day every week till your no longer losing
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Wow....just wow...

You need way more than 1000 calories per day to maintain. Most females with just a little exercise will maintain somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 calories unless they are very short and/or very old.

Keep in mind that at such low calorie levels, you glycogen stores were pretty well depleted...so as you increase calories, those will fill...it's basically fluid...fluid has mass and thus weight. Also, if you eat more food you are obviously going to have more waste in your system.

My advice would be to seek out some professional help here though...obviously you have some big time disordered thinking going on here at minimum.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Wow....just wow...

You need way more than 1000 calories per day to maintain. Most females with just a little exercise will maintain somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 calories unless they are very short and/or very old.

Hey, what's old LOL To the OP - I'm 45 and have been maintaining for about 8 years now and the last few I've maintained at about 2000 calories. I'm 5'2 and about 128 pounds. With that said I'm a runner who is always training for a race but even if I wasn't, I still maintain about an hour of exercise each day. Maintenance is something you kind of have to perfect for yourself. You can take tips and tricks from those of us that are doing it now but it isn't a one size fits all plan. I had a few fails before I felt like I had my final weight under control. You'll figure it out :D
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    First of all, weight can easily fluctuate by a kilo for no good reason.

Secondly, there's no way you were getting adequate nutrition on 500 calories per day. But what's done is done, so for now just keep increasing your calories. Do it slowly, and don't panic over fluctuations. It's normal for weight to swing up or down 5 lbs or so.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Wow....just wow...

Keep in mind that at such low calorie levels, you glycogen stores were pretty well depleted...so as you increase calories, those will fill...it's basically fluid...fluid has mass and thus weight. Also, if you eat more food you are obviously going to have more waste in your system.

My advice would be to seek out some professional help here though...obviously you have some big time disordered thinking going on here at minimum.
    This OP. Seek help. There is no way you got all your nutrition on 500 calorie diet. :/
  • kazhomuhsin
    kazhomuhsin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know it was a crazy diet, and you are all right ! But I'm going to stabilize it at 1200. Please give me some tips to overcome the thoughts
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Take measurements, it's more accurate than the scale in my opinion.
    I'm trying to maintain my weight and am still observing if I'm maintaining at 1,600 (Though it can probably be more since I used to maintain at 1,800 before I started dieting again the month before). I slowly increase my calories at 100 per day for a week. So far, I haven't gained and am still *slowly* losing. Will check it again Wednesday morning.

You need to eat at least 1,200 calories and increase it to 100 per week. Calculate your TDEE at iifym.com :-) And don't worry about it! My weight fluctuates and has a 5# range.

Just think of this: A pound is 3,500 calories. Unless you've been eating 7,000 calories over your maintenance, it'll be impossible to gain a kilo or even a pound overnight. Don't stress yourself over it, because food is energy we need to keep moving and to stay alive!
  • GhostdogX
    GhostdogX Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

So, I was on a diet for 5 months and lost 21 kilos. Now I weight 61 kilos and I'm 5'7''. I'm very happy with my body but I have a huge issue.
    My diet consisted of 500 to 600 calories per day plan. ( I know this is very low but I was making sure I get all the neutritions required).
    About a month ago I increased my intake to 800 calories and I was still maintaining weight. But I need to be at at 1000 calories per day at least to stay healthy.

However, I'm panicking because since I have increased my calories to 1000 last week, I have gained a kilo. Even though I only eat healthy

I'm absolutely terrified because I don't want to go back to being overweight again. I can't stop thinking about regaining all the weight again. Whenever I'm alone or thinking I think about my weight and my body and I get depressed. It's controlling my life.

I really would appreciate it if any of you can help me on how to go through this? Any tips, motivation, ways to end this obsession and also to help me maintain my weight I would be very greatful.

Thank you

Hi :smile: yours basic BMR is1392( it's for lean body mass what I'm asumming u r) so taking u as runner compeeting on some regular basis it TDE Should fall around 1800 minimum maintaining glycogen stores cuz long distance runs can deplete them easy. . Only complex carbs replenish muscle stores , simple sugars like fructose replenish liver stores .Our bodies contain 500 grams of glycogen: 400 In muscle and 100 in liver So play around and listen to ur body.