Not feeling full after you eat

Options
It's only been 48 hours. Granted. But almost every time I eat, I still feel hungry afterwards. I have been forcing myself to drink water and wait 20 minutes - so far so good (minus the frequent bathroom trips) Just wondering if this happened to anyone else and is this going to last forever. I HATE the feeling of feeling hungry.

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    There was a BBC Horizon special about different causes of overeating, and different types of diets for each type of overeater. You sound like the type who has trouble stopping eating once you start, because you release less of the gut hormones that signal when you are full. For this type of overeater, a diet high in protein and low glycemic index was recommended, which would help produce feelings of fullness. Link to the documentary below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/28kV5mpZvcDtJ2hyDbZ5h1p/what-s-the-right-diet-for-you
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If you can't watch the program in your location, the information on the diet that promotes satiety is here.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/scotland/tv/rightdiet/feasters.pdf
  • FittingIntoTheseGenes
    Options
    Thank you so much. I never thought there was a science behind it. This is really interesting.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've just learned to be satisfied with less. I could always eat a lot more than I do. In the words of author Jeff Kay,
    There's not a moment of the day or night when I couldn't eat a full meal. And that includes immediately after eating a full meal.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yes, the above is really helpful. I have found that I fill up with loads of vegetables as I can't cope with feeling hungry either. It does get less of an issue over time, it's a matter of sticking with it and even now, 90+lbs down, I still have to have a full plate at dinner time.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't last forever. I still CAN eat giant meals, but if I do I feel a bit too full and don't want to do it again for ages. When you get used to smaller meals, and when you have lost weight and don't need as much food, you will feel satisfied with less. It's the long process of getting used to it that sucks.

As an example, I used to think the recommended serving size of spaghetti was a joke because I could easily eat twice that amount. Now I think it's a normal-sized serving.
  • SkinnyGirlFatBody
    SkinnyGirlFatBody Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does get better, at least it did for me. The logic I put behind it (which could be incorrect but it helps me) was that because I constantly over ate my stomach was used to having that much food and when I jumped down to less food I would be hungry for a week but now I am completely satisfied by my meal (though I could still eat another 3 helpings) and I don't feel the hunger pains. I like to envision a huge stomach shrinking down to accommodate smaller meals.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    If you've just started, your body is used to a much larger volume of food. It will calm down in a week or two. Eat lots of veggies and lean protein for volume and satiety. :)
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Are you eating no-fat diets? Add more fat to get that full feeling. If you are eating salads for lunch, you can eat a Snickers bar (fun size) to feel full. However, don't forget to stay within the daily calorie limit!

Feeling full, cravings etc are subjective behaviors that can be modified. They will subside once you train yourselves to eat less.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's more due to habit. At least for me it was anyway. I had associated being stuffed with a normal feeling because I had been doing it for so long, when in reality, you're not supposed to feel "stuffed." But because I had associated that stuffed feeling with "normal eating" for so long it did take a while to get used to eating less and not being hungry. It takes time. You just have to be patient.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Dakota, Welcome to MFP! I would also suggest concentrating on chewing more. I have been intentionally chewing each mouthful longer because I know I eat too fast. I discovered I feel fuller also. Hope that helps you, too.
  • awesomewastaken
    awesomewastaken Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Vegetables have never made a difference for me. I mean, I could eat a HUGE bowl of fresh salad and still feel incredibly hungry. Adding lots of protein (thanks to the advice I have read on this forum) has helped a lot. And I sometimes get those moments when I'm just SO hungry that it takes a while for my body to "catch up" with the food I've just consumed. So what I do is try to have as much protein as possible with every meal and when I'm still feeling hungry, I just wait it out for as long as I can manage.
    Oh, and doing something to get your mind of food after a meal helps as well. I of course have no scientific back-up to this, but I do thing that a lot of it is mental. When you have other things on your mind you won't have time to think about food as much. Which is also why I seem to eat better on weekdays and overeat on weekends (because I just don't have anything better to do than eat). But I'm working on fixing that.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    For most people, that feeling doesnt last forever. Your appetite changes.

But making sure you get enough protein and fats will help you feel full longer, and lots of veggies will fill you up at a meal without adding a lot of calories.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I agree with most who've said it's a matter of acclimatising to eating slightly less. It will happen in time, so keep going! I think it's quite normal and healthy to still feel like you've got a bit more space once you've finished eating though. If you're always aiming to feel absolutely full up like you couldn't handle another bite, odds are you might be overeating.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    In addition to drinking a liter of water before and during eating, try eating a bowl of oatmeal before rich foods. It creates low calorie bulk & works for me.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    New here, but thought I'd chime in.

I have decided that I just don't know what true hunger is. If I've just eaten a decent, balanced meal and think I'm still hungry, I try to have something to drink or just white-knuckle through it until the feeling passes.

Also, I have no off switch. I can just eat and eat. I've heard people refer to a "sigh" that they feel when they've eaten to satisfaction, but I've never felt it. I plow right through "satisfied" straight into "stuffed" before I even know what happened. I know it's partly (mainly?) because I eat so fast that I don't give my brain a chance to realize that I've had enough. This is why portion control is so important for me.
  • FittingIntoTheseGenes
    Options
    yes, the above is really helpful. I have found that I fill up with loads of vegetables as I can't cope with feeling hungry either. It does get less of an issue over time, it's a matter of sticking with it and even now, 90+lbs down, I still have to have a full plate at dinner time.
    90lbs that's awesome
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yep - that's me. I can eat to the point of being sick and still feel "hungry". Using intermittent fasting helped to learn to cope with the hungry feeling.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough fats and protein?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Eating til I'm full and eating til I'm not hungry are two different feelings for me. It's taken me a while to sort that out.