Planner or track as you go?

Options
I track as I go through out my day. Seems more realistic. But today I decided to do a bit of both.

What has seemed to work best for you?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    By planner do you mean log in advance? I only do that when I'm going out ...I'll pre-log alcohol so I know what I have spare for nibbles / eating ...the rest of the time I log as I go along, but I do have meals I eat quite a lot, because I love them and they are predictable calories
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I pre log, usually a day in advance, at least when I know I'll be in control of everything I'm eating the next day. When I go to bed, I'll usually log out the next day. Makes it easier to hit macros.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead as much as I can but I'm not a fanatic.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I log the day before, knowing that I will make modifications.
  • procolorer
    procolorer Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I try to plan ahead as much as I can, but I know that a change of plans happens all the time so I try to be as flexible as possible :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-log.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I just joined today, but on other programs I have found it more helpful to pre-log, just a day in advance. Usually at night, I plan for the next day. I find it easier to stick to things if I have it all laid out in front of me.

Of course, I do allow myself some latitude. If I've planned my day and the bosses decide they're going to buy us lunch, who am I to turn it down?
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If I'm preparing a recipe I will prelog. Otherwise it's convenient to do as I go along.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I only recently started planning my meals...but not too far in advance. Maybe dinner when I'm on the train home, to see what I can have for dessert. Otherwise I log as I go. And when I pre-log dinner, it's always something I've made before.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead...let's just say I've never had to start a thread like, "UH OH...I only have XXX calories left for dinner...HALP!" It's not like I don't know what I'm going to eat during a given day...might as well log it ahead of time so I know where I need to make changes or tweak things.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I pre-log dinner and then decide what I'm eating the rest of the day based on that.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I track as I go mostly since I've learned a lot of the calorie numbers and have a good idea most of the time how much to use.

Sometimes if I eat more calories earlier in the day, I will run a few options through and figure out evening meal and bedtime snack ahead of time - that's where I am today lol. I was very active getting a lot done around the house and have been hungrier than usual, but it isn't exercise activity that I'd record, so....good thing I learned to keep many options around and I'll go to bed full :wink:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've done both. Pre-logging seems to work better, but I'm not always enough in control of my choices to make it a viable option. (It's complicated, lol!)
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I generally track as I go. It seems like there are often things that come up during the day that throw a monkey wrench into my plans if I try to pre-log. My son's baseball practice running late, last minute meetings at work, etc. I will plug in different options for meals, just to get an idea of what will be the best fit.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I pre log but change things through the day depending on hunger or what my preferences are. Preloading main meals helps me have an idea of what calories I'll have left for snacks.

If I'm going somewhere preloading really helps as it gives me an idea of what to plan for the rest of the day and that maybe an extra walk might help balance things out
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I prelog every night and modify as I see fit throughout the day.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    pre-log. i like the awareness beforehand.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I log night before.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day every morning. This way I can tweak things if I'm over or under. If I log as I go or log after I've eaten, it may be too late as I may have unintentionally gone over.
  • kathrynrf89
    kathrynrf89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I pre log and then make adjustments as needed. Usually on my lunch break I'll change anything if I didn't follow the plan I had laid out the night before, then I'll check back a night and make sure I didn't miss anything.