Body Image

Options
Hey guys, first time posting in the forums, would love some feedback. I reached my goal 6 weeks ago and maintained for 5. A week ago, I looked in the mirror and saw nothing but rolls and fat, so I dropped down to 1200 cals again for the past week. The thing is, I've been miserable emotionally. My brain constantly reminds me of how fat I still am. How long will it take for my mind to catch up with my body? Maybe I should lose another 10 pounds, I might be happier then? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest talking to some close friends or family members and get their takes about this before losing more weight. If you're super miserable and talking to friends and family doesn't help, I'd consider reaching out to a professional.

I've lost over 100 lb and I've been maintaining for over a year now, but I still suffer time to time from "Former Fat Boy Syndrome." If you lose a good amount of weight, I don't think that your brain ever really catches up to your body, and you always have that sense that you're still big, but that's a natural consequence of undergoing this transformation.

Just remember that you are an incredible person and have come so far. Your life and what you're doing with it is not defined by a number on a scale, how you look in the mirror! You've bettered yourself by doing this, but you'll ultimately be remembered for the great successes you've had, the love you've given others, and the incredible memories you create in life.

Best of luck!
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    I highly suggest talking to some close friends or family members and get their takes about this before losing more weight. If you're super miserable and talking to friends and family doesn't help, I'd consider reaching out to a professional.

I've lost over 100 lb and I've been maintaining for over a year now, but I still suffer time to time from "Former Fat Boy Syndrome." If you lose a good amount of weight, I don't think that your brain ever really catches up to your body, and you always have that sense that you're still big, but that's a natural consequence of undergoing this transformation.

Just remember that you are an incredible person and have come so far. Your life and what you're doing with it is not defined by a number on a scale, how you look in the mirror! You've bettered yourself by doing this, but you'll ultimately be remembered for the great successes you've had, the love you've given others, and the incredible memories you create in life.

Best of luck!

Thank you so, so much! You've managed to make me a bit teary-eyed. It's just a bit frustrating having these thoughts.
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

Thank you so, so much! You've managed to make me a bit teary-eyed. It's just a bit frustrating having these thoughts.

Completely understandable though! I went through the exact same thing, so when I was reading your post, I had to respond! When I lost all the weight, I still saw that fat kid staring me back, so I brought myself to continue losing until I hit a really low weight (not an unhealthy low weight, but into the terriroty where people would have been worried if I went any further). Feel free to reach out to me or anyone else in this community because people are here to help!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It took my brain about 6 months to catch up. But honestly part of my problem was that I didn't do what I should have done to protect my muscle while I lost weight, so a big part of it was that my body fat percentage was still higher than it could have been. Once I started lifting weights two things happened-- I built enough muscle to make myself feel better about my appearance, and I also stopped caring as much about the aesthetics because I was enamored with what my body could DO.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I've maintained for about 10mth after losing 29kg in a yr. Sometimes I walk by a mirror and think, wow you look really good. Sometimes I still see the old me.

What has helped me are fotos of the former me and now. I also had the chance to take part in a complete makeover / styling. Though you would think, this is something very superficial, it has had a lasting effect on how I see myself now. Because on that day, I suddenly saw, how beautiful I am!

I also agree with ILiftHeavy. My cardio/strength circuit training change my body and how I see it in a very positive way.
  • nesian_twin
    Options
    You reached your goal? That is fantastic! and on your profile is that a true pic of your body?
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's input, it's great to have other perspectives. I think I'll maintain for the time being but mix in weights with cardio, finally take up a friend's offer to help me weight train. Again, I really appreciate the support here, it's an amazing community!
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    Options
    You reached your goal? That is fantastic! and on your profile is that a true pic of your body?

Thanks! Yep, took it after a 10k. I look a lot pudgier normally, haha.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    youve hit your goal thats amazing, i wouldnt lose anymore now! sometimes its hard for us to see in ourselves how far we've come but dont let it get too far, dont let it turn into an eating disorder which happened to me, enjoy food, enjoy life <3
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I was happy to see this post because I considered asking a similar question myself. I'll give it 6 months and start taking more pics of myself now. Thanks for your help
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ACCEPT YOURSELF
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks! Yep, took it after a 10k. I look a lot pudgier normally, haha.[/quote]

OMG I have never, even when I was younger like you, NEVER had an awesome flat tummy like yours, even tho you may think "pudgy" - my perception of your body is of total slimness. Please dont be miserable and see yourself as others see you - you are beautiful! and I dont say this as a compliment only, I want you as LAMCDylan has said to ACCEPT YOURSELF. Don't beat yourself up when looking in the mirror, instead keep on sayin to yourself "I am beautiful" or other affirmations to help you emotionally. I am like DOUBLE your size and nearly DOUBLE your age but I dont believe I am fat or ugly. Sure I have the occasional moment and get pissed off with myself if my jeans dont fit right, but no soul destroying self, you don't need this and neither do I :)
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    PS Our thoughts can tell us lies sometimes. Determine what is a lie and what is truth. Do not believe the lies you might be telling yourself.
  • afacetocallhome
    afacetocallhome Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was discussing this with my fiancé earlier. I've got a long way to go before I reach my goal because I've just started my weight loss journey, but I'm pretty anxious that, even when I start losing weight, I will still feel the same way about my body. Hopefully, I'll be wrong, but I've felt this way for most of my life, even when I've been at a lower weight.

Anyway, I just wanted to say congratulations on achieving your goal. You should be really proud of yourself but I understand what you're going through. Sometimes, we are our own worst enemies, and it's really difficult to shake those negative thoughts. I'm sure you look great, and you've done wonders for your health overall. I do think it would be worthwhile talking to your friends and family and then possibly a professional if you're still not feeling any better.

I wish you all the best for the future.
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    Options
    Everyone is so kind and wonderful, glad to see I'm not too alone in feeling this way :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Best of luck!

what a beautiful post :heart:

Thanks! Yep, took it after a 10k. I look a lot pudgier normally, haha.

What the? :open_mouth: I would be proud to have your tummy :smile: xx
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I use to think "Maintenance+ should be changed to "Foundation" or "Goal Weight Stabilization". As I work thru my third year of maintenance, I have found that I am thankful I have not gained or lost outside of my current wardrobe size, and that I am discovering that the transformation from "fat to muscle" is best done in slow, steady, small obtainable and SUSTAINABLE physical work. So maintenance for me is 10,000 steps and 10 minutes of Barre3 every morning. Combine that with 1-2 hours of practicing my french horn and working as a business consultant for 8-10 hours a day at age 56, pretty happy with maintenance and the slow incremental changes in my body.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    It took my brain about 6 months to catch up. But honestly part of my problem was that I didn't do what I should have done to protect my muscle while I lost weight, so a big part of it was that my body fat percentage was still higher than it could have been. Once I started lifting weights two things happened-- I built enough muscle to make myself feel better about my appearance, and I also stopped caring as much about the aesthetics because I was enamored with what my body could DO.

I'm closing in on the six-month mark, and I would not only second this, but add that giving myself exercise/strength goals has helped me to see food as fuel, which has been crucial for me.