Avoiding mindless snacking

What are your best methods to avoid eating out of boredom while at work?
I work in an office where I am kind of tied to my desk, and late afternoon is when I usually get bored, and start wanting to munch, even though I'm not hungry. I also usually work 12 hour shifts, so I am stuck here until 7pm. Help!

Replies

• procolorer
    procolorer Posts: 326 Member
    I limit the amount of snacks that I have, and I don't bring any cash so I can't use the vending machines :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2015
    Really, it's just a habit that has to be broken...there's no easy way around it for sure. I used to drink a lot of tea and whatnot in the beginning...now I don't think about it much, habit is broken. Also, I bring my snacks with me to work and I have planned, built in snack times...it's not the snacking that is bad necessarily, it's the lack of mindfulness that will get you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    There is always this (a time release snack safe):

555aa08e-9316-41ed-9ff6-c6f5d3dabc00_zpsnagyxrkz.jpg

Seriously, I have that trouble at night when I go to bed with a book. The best thing I found is to not have snack foods available and to always have water or something to sip on. The sipping of liquid seems to help satisfy the hand-to-mouth habit of mindless snacking.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I have a midmorning snack and a late afternoon snack that fit into my day. So I get to look forward to eating 3 times at work :) If I'm feeling the need to munch on something that is not fitting into my snacks/deficit-I'll have a couple sour candies, a coffee, or tea.
  • LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Chew sugar free gum when you begin to feel that way. Or make fun water snack by mixing fresh berries, cucumber, lemon, mint or anything else you like in some ice cold water. Sip on that all afternoon/evening.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    There is always this (a time release snack safe):

555aa08e-9316-41ed-9ff6-c6f5d3dabc00_zpsnagyxrkz.jpg

Seriously, I have that trouble at night when I go to bed with a book. The best thing I found is to not have snack foods available and to always have water or something to sip on. The sipping of liquid seems to help satisfy the hand-to-mouth habit of mindless snacking.

Haha That is pretty cool. I usually drink tea in the late afternoon to help get through it. I also try to keep some snacks with me, but sometimes they don't fit into my calories for the day. I really need to plan my meals better, but when I work 12 hour shifts back-to-back, I usually just come home after work, grab something to eat, and pass out from exhaustion. I do better when I have time to cook, and I often make 3-4 meals worth at a time, so I can take those for lunch.