knowing vs. doing

Options
lteichmeier
lteichmeier Posts: 5 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi, I am in the process of trying to losing 40 pounds. My problem is I know what I should eat and what I should do but I am having a hard time doing it. I think about losing weight and being healthy 75% of my day but when it comes time to eat. I say, "oh a cookie, yes please!" I work out 3-4 times a week doing HIIT and I feel like my diet is negating all that work! I blame time constraints (2 kids and a full and time job)and stress on not eating better, but I know it's just an excuse. I am looking for friends who are either in a similar situation or who are willing to help motivate and be supportive! I'll be here for you too!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    So do it. Start right now.
  • melly0405
    melly0405 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You're not alone, I too am pretty good about being consistent with my workouts but not my eating it's a lifestyle and you have to do both. No excuses we just have to do it. Let me know how I can support you in this journey!
  • Camigwen
    Camigwen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit the opposite, I have good food choices 5 days a week and average ones on the weekends. I'd love to offer support and motivation on the eating and am looking for folks to assist with exercise encouragement.

Add me if your interested.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing that but with exercise and food. I was sick for while and couldn't walk or do much of anything so i didn't exercise. Now I am feeling better but still not motivated enough to start exercising again. I do the old "I'll start tomorrow" routine.
    the food part is not real bad because I still track things I am eating but I find myself giving in to temptation more than I was before.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    for me, the difference between knowing and doing is removing barriers and making things really, really easy and convenient. and, i don't believe in putting yourself in a situation where you have to use willpower when you're vulnerable.

if lacking time makes you vulnerable, remove the vulnerability by removing the temptation - no cookies or high-calorie low-value sweets at home. (yes to cookies while out, though, sometimes - life can't be joyless. enjoying one at a coffee shop, instead of having a bag to plow through at home, makes it a conscious, special choice, instead of a default second dinner.)

for the food prep - just do whatever you have to do to make it fast and simple. use gadgets. (some like a crockpot for stews and stuff like that, i'm more of a grill and stove-top person myself).

on any night: boil some rice or potatoes, grill your meat, add a salad or steamed or boiled veg, and you've got a meal in less than 30 minutes. make some extra for leftovers for lunch the next day.

whatever method you prefer, plan meals for the week that can be prepared very quickly. organize them around the protein (easier to think about).

get some frozen stuff that fits your requirements for days you don't feel like cooking.
  • mountain01
    mountain01 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you, still eat junk every now and then. But the more you eat healthy the better your body will feel