Question about retaining water

Options
katied75
katied75 Posts: 17 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
If you eat a high sodium meal and wake up a few pounds heavier the next day, how long does it take you to drop the pounds on the scale? Just curious because this is my life at the moment! I know it's just water and I'm not worried. Just curious.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It will vary person by person but the last time I had a sodium/carb extravaganza it took 2 full weeks to lose the 4 lbs I went up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    That's a really dramatic thread title. Not what I was expecting.

I don't try to shed water weight. It's not fat so I don't care. Cut down on the sodium for a day or two and drink a lot of water. It might take a few days to go back down.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    That's a really dramatic thread title. Not what I was expecting.

I don't try to shed water weight. It's not fat so I don't care. Cut down on the sodium for a day or two and drink a lot of water. It might take a few days to go back down.

I agree...

• katied75
    katied75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sorry. I think the title fits my question.... Didn't mean to trick you. Thanks for the reply.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Takes me 10 days - 2 weeks to lose water weight from over indulging, sometimes not even going over 2000 mg sodium. The best I can offer is drink plenty of water/fluids.

That yo-yo lose-gain crap is frustrating as hell. Happens to me every month.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You went 200 over your goal. I'd hardly call that a binge or even a mistake. Not a big deal at all. The sodium should be gone in a few days. Don't beat yourself up over it. Guilt over food is not good.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I'm always retaining.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't exercising it could take 5-6 days to drop off. Now that I am exercising I rarely see any water weight gains.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    It rarely happens to me, but when it does it just takes me a day or two. Drink more water than usual...that will help it flush out quickly.