Biceps workout problems

Options
Okay so the problem with my biceps is this; when working out any other part of my body, the next day I get that familiar muscular pain due to microtrauma in the muscle fibres. However I don't get this pain whenever working out my biceps, at least not when I work them out directly. I follow a split-body plan, and so the day after biceps day I don't feel any pain.

This is my biceps workout;
Standing Barbell Curls - 5 sets of 10 reps.
Deadlifts - 5 sets of 10 reps
Hammer Curls - 5 sets of 10 reps
Hammer Curls - 5 sets of 8 reps

This workout follows the same basis all my other muscular-group workouts, such as my chest workout;
Bench Press - 5 sets of 10 reps
Dips - 5 sets of 10 reps
Flyes - 5 sets of 10 reps
Flyes - 5 sets of 8 reps
However the day after chest day, my chest is really aching.

So is the lack of any sign of microtrauma nothing to worry about? Or is it an issue with the biceps workout itself, as in reps, sets, and/or exercises? Or I've been thinking maybe I need to train a larger muscle group at the same time, to release more of the growth hormone, however I assumed this was covered with the incorporation of deadlifts. I don't really understand the biceps, do they respond better to heavier weights, lighter weights, calisthenics?

Also, the weird thing is, sometimes I'll feel microtrauma in my biceps the day after a different muscle group like after my back workout.

Replies

• CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    OK, so firstly, DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is not a requirement of knowing you've worked out a single area.

Secondly, DOMS can take 24-48 hours to occur, and last for 2-3 days (Hence why when you do feel it, it's not the next day)

Thirdly, the more we train an area, the more the muscle learns to recover, so the DOMS affect is A) reduced, and B) shorter

Next, If depends how hard you push on the weights, 5x10, 5x8 means nothing if they are easy for you, both, after a few weeks should be dropping to 5x8, 5x6 as you increase the weight, increasing the reps to the starting numbers, repeat. etc etc

Next, Bicep workout... Maybe add it onto Back day - Pull ups\chins\Rows (a few variations of the last), then add the bicep work.

Finally, why 2 lots of Hammer curls? Maybe try Concentration\Cable\Lying cable Curls? Either way, adding a new exercise will have them screaming
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    All sound advice above.
    1 handy wee tip as well that often get's over looked - SLOW THE REPS DOWN.
    Make each rep last 5 seconds. It ensures that the muscle is doing all the lifting and there's no momentum involved.
  • JackWolfgangLloyd
    Options
    Cheers mate, I didn't know DOMS could take that long so thanks that's good to know. I'll give it a go putting it on back day and adding in concentration curls.
    Thanks again