Couch to 5K training ... is pain normal?

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    From what I remember about your stats, I personally think you need to drop more weight before trying to run

He's running on a pre-existing hip injury.

Nothig to do with adaptation or current weight.

• azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    MamaMollyT wrote: »
    I would suggest slowing down. What is your normal walk speed? Whatever your regular pace is should be what you walk at. For the run it should be comfortable. Just focus on running the 30 seconds and not the speed. It's ok to repeat a week if you need to strengthen. Speed is not a concern at all until you can run the 5k without stopping. Then work on your speed.

Thanks. I think I will try my next workout in the neighborhood and not the treadmill. I think that will be more natural and I won't worry so much about the numbers.
  • MissKissKins
    MissKissKins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    I don't this if this is of any help but I'm using the C25K pod casts by the NHS I'm finding them really good I'm currently on week 4. She builds you up nice and slow with no suggested pace other than "brisk walk" and "light jog" and you repeat weeks if you feel you need to.
    I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I started experiencing knee pain during my second week and it was because I was striking incorrectly on the ground. The pod cast gave advice of striking "heel first" on the ground. I hadn't been so I adjusted my stride to do a heel strike and that's when my knee pain started, even general walking everyday my knee felt odd! After some reading I found that heel strike is an old recommendation and the recommendation now is to strike your foot however feels natural (for me it's mid foot, my foot naturally lands on it's middle when I run) so I do that. If you watch some elite athletes they even go so far as to strike forefoot so for those of you suffering knee pain maybe adjust how your foot falls?
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do you feel SORE? Or like it's injured? When I ran too much in the beginning, I ended up straining my calf and couldn't run for a week. Lots of intensive stretching and rest helped.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Running is very different from running. Heart rate and muscle stress.which by the way if reasonably healthy very good news.When starting there will be some pain. as long as no strain or tearing of muscle this is just indicative of muscles growing.Keep well hydrated and carry on.if exhausted at the end of your run its too fast or too far.build up distance and speed at a rate of adding no more than 10% at a time.good luck.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Should have read different from walking :)