Elevated testosterone in women

Options
Hi All,

A recent blood test showed elevated testosterone. My dr immediately diagnosed pcos (which I thought was very knee jerk), but another test showed no pcos evidence. I also do not have acne. I have been eating high protein for almost twenty years now in varying degrees. I exercise daily but do not lift heavy or take creatine or the like. I am lean and at a good weight but not excessively so.

I am asking here in case anyone else has experienced this. I find sometimes doctors make quick assumptions, as did mine, and are particularly I attuned to the impact diet and exercise play. Of course it may be unrelated, but figured worth checking. Thanks.

Replies

• Alessa71
    Alessa71 Posts: 21
    Options
    ^^meant not attuned to impact of diet and exercise.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Get a second opinion.

Yep. Always follow your intuition.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Second opinion - PCOS is a syndrome, you have to meet more than 1 of the criteria for diagnosis.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Alessa71 wrote: »
    I find sometimes doctors make quick assumptions

Isn't that the understatement of the year!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It depends on what exactly was elevated. If some types of androgens are elevated, it is enough to diagnose PCOS. Given the age in your profile though, it does not really matter at this point. If you were to be bothered by it, this would have happened a long time ago.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You may or may not have pcos but you don't have to have acne to have it.
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have pcos. What else is going on that caused you get the blood work? Are your periods off? Very painful? Are you losing hair or growing facial or chest or back hair?
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What did you initially go to the doc for? Was it menstrual issues or was it for something totally different? I went recently for "lady issues" and my doc said it sounds like the same thing but I'm going back in for an ultrasound so they can make sure its not something else. I don't have acne either. Maybe ask for some more definitive tests before a course of action is taken?
  • Alessa71
    Alessa71 Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks very much for the responses. Here is some more info.

I got an ultrasound which did not show anything. Doc now wants me to see an endocrinologist though she thinks it could still be pcos since it's a syndrome (I'm not totally convinced).

I originally got blood work done because I was having an allergic itchy red rash on my legs for which we could not identify the cause. It eventually subsided after about six weeks and a course of antihistamines. I always have dry skin so I get rashes somewhat easily. Periods are always a little off but generally more painful.

The symptom I have of high testerone is, I think, hair loss, though I am not totally certain it's that or just not as thick as I like. I have some unclear potential symptoms like major brain fog and short term memory problems lately (which could also be related to lack of sleep, stress, parenting, etc. though it feels like more). I also have joint pain (knee, elbow, shoulders), but that too could just be years of working out catching up with me.

Thanks again.