Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Just wanted to giggle at the way the OP's name is cut off on the topics list.

Also ditch the diet pill and you can probably eat more and still lose.

Probably not.. at least not with my experience

Ditch the pill, save your money, buy more food and other delightful things.

You are unqualified to give this advice. MFP should delete posts giving untrained medical advice and ban repeat offenders. It's a dangerous practise that runs rampant here.

Nope. ^^^

OP, if you're eating between that 1800 and 2100 then I'd say you're not starving yourself. Just make sure you hit your protein and fat macronutrient minimums, eat your fruits and vegetables and make sure you construct a way of eating that is sustainable and that you enjoy.

Also, 8 lbs in the first couple of weeks is not uncommon when you first start trying to lose weight. Keep in mind that you likely lost some water weight and have less undigested food in your GI track. That should stable out. If you continue to lose weight at a faster tate than you desire then you can always adjust your intake.

Did you even read what the post was in reference to? A few people have been telling OP to ditch the medication without even knowing what it was. And none of us should be doing that.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's very common for patients, in the rushed and sometimes 'information overload' nature of a consultation, to misunderstand what their medication is actually for.

Just another reason why it's dangerous to ever advise on it unless you are actually the persons doctor.

And not even then, as it happens.
  • theresaneal77
    theresaneal77 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't discontinue your medication without talking to a doctor.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I think 1800 to 2100 is fine ,I don't think that's starving yourself . good job on the 8lb loss !
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I am 400 pounds. and so far in the last couple weeks I have lost a total of 8 pounds.
    But I have also been working my butt off!
    My doctor told me to eat 1800 calories a day if i can handle it.
    and he gave me a diet pill as well. as well as having me see a dietitian.
    MFP says I should eat 2170 calories per day.

my boyfriend says I'm starving myself for my size, is it true?

Follow your doctor's plan, not the one you found on the Internet. As someone who is active, big and eats little, I will stress that it is important to eat healthy (or try to make healthier choices) and make sure that you eat if you feel hungry. If you experience headaches, stomachaches, nausea, ect. eat a light snack and talk to your doctor about it. You are also likely to lose more than 2 pounds a week your first few weeks (which will also be the hardest ones!).

This^^

Your doc spend many years training to know what is best for people's health. Stick to the doctor's plan.

Cuz GP doctors have lots of education in nutrition and a thorough understanding of metabolism... WRONG.

OP, even 2200 is VERY low for where you are right now. You can eat less if you want, and not actually be "starving" but the more aggressive your approach to weight loss by eating as few calories as possible the more it will backfire later. Obviously some initial rapid weight loss will be ok with so much to lose, but you will definitely need to rethink your strategy when you get closer to

Also, you currently have lots of muscle from carrying excess weight; wouldn't you like to keep the muscle and just lose the fat? Well, you need to eat enough and increase strength building for that to happen.

• shellen007
    shellen007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yea, I read it.

Too bad reading and comprehending aren't always the same thing :smile:

If you don't think a prescription medication is necessary or you think someone's doctor is giving poor advice, you should be advising them to seek a second opinion...from another doctor.

People who say things like "ditch the medication it won't do you any good" should be rightfully called out. And that's true regardless of MFP's disclaimer.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    shellen007 wrote: »
    Yea, I read it.

Too bad reading and comprehending aren't always the same thing :smile:

If you don't think a prescription medication is necessary or you think someone's doctor is giving poor advice, you should be advising them to seek a second opinion...from another doctor.

People who say things like "ditch the medication it won't do you any good" should be rightfully called out. And that's true regardless of MFP's disclaimer.

Especially in this case where there has already been a discussion that it may actually not be a diet drug, but for something. If it becomes clear that OP might be confused about a med, I think it only makes sense that we stop telling them to ditch it.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am 400 pounds. and so far in the last couple weeks I have lost a total of 8 pounds.

You aren't starving yourself. Your doctor said "if you can handle it". You are losing 1% of your body weight per week, which is great at your weight. Being 400 lbs is more dangerous than losing quickly at first.
    Keep it up if you can handle it. Good job and good luck!

• brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I'm curious what diet pill your doctor put you on? And 1800 calories per day is not starving yourself by any means, stick to it and don't listen to anything negative anyone has to say.

I asked for the cheapest one available because I have to pay out of pocket. .. it's called phamotadine or something like that.. don't think I spelled it right

Phentermine maybe?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Congratulations on taking control and starting your journey

I think 1800 is a fine amount, but you would also lose at 2170 ...how are you feeling? Willpower is great to start with, just know you have a little scope for more calories if you need it

Are you logging your exercise and eating back half as well

Keep on going, stick with it ...you got this!
  • sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    [quoI l="SergeantSausage;31497643"]Do you look like this?

minnesota_starvation_experiment.jpg

Then prom
    Do you look like this?

Then probably not.

No. Definitely not.

And i
    Do you look like this?

Then probably not.

No. Definitely not.

And I laugh
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    OP, just make sure you hit your macro's, esp. protein with those 1800/cal.

If 1800 is sustainable for you as a plan, I would stick with it.
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    brookesdsu wrote: »

I'm curious what diet pill your doctor put you on? And 1800 calories per day is not starving yourself by any means, stick to it and don't listen to anything negative anyone has to say.

I asked for the cheapest one available because I have to pay out of pocket. .. it's called phamotadine or something like that.. don't think I spelled it right

Phentermine maybe?

Probably
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Just wanted to giggle at the way the OP's name is cut off on the topics list.

Also ditch the diet pill and you can probably eat more and still lose.

Probably not.. at least not with my experience

Ditch the pill, save your money, buy more food and other delightful things.

You are unqualified to give this advice. MFP should delete posts giving untrained medical advice and ban repeat offenders. It's a dangerous practise that runs rampant here.

Pot calling the kettle black. Feel free to start using OP's diet pills for her since they are unnecessary.

The pill is for GERD.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famotidine

OP said it was a diet pill, hence diet pill = 100% unnecessary. If she is taking medication for an actual medical condition, then that is different.

I have been tracking my food for a very long time and I have struggled with my weight all my life, and have tried loosing countless times in different ways and nothing seems to work.. I am not strong when it comes to telling myself no. With food anyways. The diet pill called Phentermine 15mg .. is helping me so much from eating large amount like I do. normally I can eat like 6 snacks a day big snacks. .. but now I have 3 small meals and 2 small snacks
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't know. If I'm given a medication, I actually do research before putting it in my body. But that's just me *shrug*
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't know. If I'm given a medication, I actually do research before putting it in my body. But that's just me *shrug*

Very informative comment.

She just said the pills are working for her, everybody. I know it's a shocker! Diet pills, ack!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »

Very informative comment.

She just said the pills are working for her, everybody. I know it's a shocker! Diet pills, ack!

Yet you added what? Nothing? Ok then.